2022 World Gymnastics Championships Event Finals Day 2 (Sunday 11/06)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

And that’s their choice. For me personally, he is vocal about a set of political beliefs that include me being less than human. And lots of other people, for lots of other reasons. So I don’t like him, wouldn’t trust him, and don’t want him to win things. And that’s a decision I get to make.

Interesting. 3 American women won 3 medals.

Hernandez just commentated the floor final and already forgot that Jade Carey earned a medal. I hope she gets some constructive criticism after this from the people who paid her for this gig, because any one of us would have done better.

Part of the problem in the states now is you used to be quietly political and no one really cared. Between social media and a certain ex-President or two, it’s more than ok to trash a certain type of people if you don’t agree with their lifestyle or choices they make for themselves — both sides are guilty of offending the other, if you ask them.

I missed prelims, TFs, and AA, so if her switch 1/1 wasn’t any better than it was today and they were giving her full marks, then it’s more on the judges for their inconsistency and I can see why they’d go with an inquiry.

Another thing that has changed over the three decades I’ve been watching gymnastics: there’s no more air hugs. The hugs gymnasts used to give to each other out of a show of sportswomanlike conduct but barely touched each other. Now they genuinely hug each other and celebrate each other.

I think that’s more to do with wider cultural change, and also the countries who are now winning medals.

“They’ve been giving me my full start value (6.100) this whole competition until today”

Her “FULL” start value is 6.2…, no?

And it’s a different panel. Maybe they’ve been looking at her 6.1’s all week and been thinking they disagree with the panel from the TF/AA?

In any event - it didn’t even matter. Being joint bronze medallist isn’t anything different to being the only bronze medalist.

Last edited:
If the inquiry went her way and they gave her the 6.1 she would have gotten silver over Chiles.

Maybe even a bit less painful than being sole bronze medalist after tying for second.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being a little frustrated that you felt you had the same performance but it wasn’t evaluated equally throughout the competition. I find the different pens annoying too.

Jade has her faults as a gymnast but she has not missed a beat since she biffed that vault in Tokyo. No falls during an entire NCAA and elite season, and she’s now a two time AA finalist and won a major championship on her two events.

D panels don’t change…
Noted.

Well her L Hop 1/1 has been short all week.

The Switch 1/1 looked ok to me in real time but she really does turn into it and cheats the takeoff.

Split 1/1 had an awkward landing with feet very far apart. It wasn’t as good as her prior attempts.

Would be interested to see screenshots. To get a 5.9 you have to downgrade all three dance elements by 1 letter, right? I can’t think of another way. Unless they gave the L Hop 1/1 an A and they didn’t think she even made a half turn in L?

Carey’s L hop 1/1 never goes above horizontal – which it must do throughout the skill – so she should lose .2 there. Was there another tenth lost?

There’s also her majorly bent knee into her Strug, and the unsquare hips and lack of split. Switch 1/1 is also short of split.

Maybe they downgraded her switch 1/1 to a Johnson 1/2. I haven’t crunched numbers

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 1.30.54 PM

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 1.29.30 PM

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 1.30.06 PM

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 1.30.10 PM

Last edited:
If the L Hop 1/1 never hits L, or doesn’t hit L for a half revolution, then I think it would go down to a Jump Full (A). In which case, only one of the switch 1/1 and split 1/1 got downgraded.

Last edited:
So you think L Hop down to A and Switch Full down to C?

Very plausible.

I guess we will never fucking know!

I called the L Hop issue back at World Trials. Jade’s dad looked piiiissed.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back