2022 World Gymnastics Championship WAG Podium (10/27-10/28)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

For Qualifications, I would drop Wong entirely. I’d have the other four all do AA. It isn’t fair to Skye to not let her do AA in prelims when you’re only doing it to allow Leanne to go up on bars and beam
The only planet where it would be “not fair to Skye” to let Leanne to compete at all for the team she earned her spot on would be if all four of them could actually compete in the AA Final. But no matter what happens, only two of them will actually go. It would be a slap in the face to not only Leanne but Lexi as well to bench Leanne entirely and then not even bring in the alternate who is right there. That’s not putting the athletes first, it’s fucking over two of them for no actual gain.

These Karolyi tactics need to stay in the past.

Last edited:
Did you watch all the PT videos?
Wong had a rough day and Blakely was lights out.

This has nothing to do with Karolyi tactics, it is based on performance. Wong was the weakest on all 4 pieces,
FX she nearly sat her Dos Santos.
VT she had crossed legs and a rough landing on her DTY, her Lopez was tucked and crunched at the landing.
UB she missed and had to improvise a sole circle on the low bar.
BB her first set she put her hand down on her wolf 1/1, her second set was cautious and her dismount had built in deductions.

Wong was the weakest link on all 4 pieces, unfortunately.

The best 4 on all pieces during podium was Blakely, Carey, Chiles, Jones

Last edited:
to allow Leanne to go up on bars and beam
Wong is going up on vault and bars.

Wong should be in the top 3 for bars, but she didn’t show that today.
On vault, Blakely was stronger on the DTY, except she doesn’t have a second vault.
Won’t mater because Chiles and Carey will 2 per Wong out of vault.

ETA
Vault doesn’t matter because Jones, Chiles, and Carey will be in team finals.
Bars though, Blakely could do TF bars but will be benched in TQ. I had Skye’s bars ahead of Wong and Carey today. So TF bars should be Blakeley, Chiles, Jones

Last edited:
Carey is clearly doing a quarter turn onto the horse instead of a half turn. How does that/how much does that get deducted?
Currently, the deductions for incomplete turn in preflight do not apply to Group 5 / Round off - 1/2 on entry vaults. That being said, Carey is still incurring quite a few deductions in both the first flight and repulsion phases of the vault:
  • leg separation → greater than shoulder width, 0.3
  • loose / flexed feet, 0.1
  • shoulder angle, 0.3
  • bent arms, 0.1
  • staggered hand placement, 0.1

. It would be a slap in the face to not only Leanne but Lexi as well to bench Leanne entirely and then not even bring in the alternate who is right there.
It’s not a slap in the face for Skye to not let her compete AA despite (in my opinion) coming second AA in podium training?

Someone always loses out here. No one said it was all sunshine and rainbows. Line ups aren’t a charity. It’s not “Marta behaviour” to bench Leanne. Look at her routines today. They were not as good as Skye’s on the events they’re benching her for.

Leanne isn’t ready. Just because she was named to the team, doesn’t oblige the selectors to put her up on anything. Maybe she will get through prelims and make a bar final. Based on today, I doubt it.

Last edited:
Based on today, the best case for Wong would be to just let her vault for the 4th best AAer and top 3 USA do AA. Unfortunately for Wong the 4th best AA is Carey, so that ain’t gonna happen.

Not sure what they’re gonna do.

Agree, this is the best choice based on overall performance both today and through the trials process. Carey has no chance at UB finals while Wong has a shot. And Carey looks pretty clearly the 4th bast AA so no chance there either.

I would let Wong do bars over Carey (have Carey do the other 3) and have Blakely, Jones, and Chiles do all around.
Then all the Jade fans will scream that this is “Marta behaviour” by giving Jade false hope that she could compete AA and pulling the rug at the last minute.

But I agree. If anyone shouldn’t be doing AA out of the top 4, it’s Jade.

The irony though is that I think Shilese is most likely to not hit in prelims. The fact she had a great day today isn’t a good thing for Shilese fans. She only has a couple of “good days” per meet. She might have just used one up when it didn’t count.

Based on today, I would probably give Blakely a shot at AA and have Wong compete only bars.

VT- (Blakely), Chiles, Jones, Carey
UB- (Blakely), Wong, Chiles, Jones
BB- (Carey), Chiles, Jones, Blakely
FX- (Blakely) Jones, Chiles, Carey

But I would be unoffended if they had Wong vault or do beam in place of Blakely (VT) or Carey (BB). Just as I wanted to leave room for other factors going into the lineup decision, I want to remember that podium is one day out of all the training, and the coaches invariably have seen things we have not. And for the first time in a while I can say I fully trust them to make a good decision here.

Chinese girls apparently looking good on beam, is Tan doing AA do we know?

Does BBS take forever to load for everyone else or is it just my computer and phone and laptop…?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back