2021 Russian Cup (June 8-12) -- last Russian competition before Tokyo, besides videoless verification meets

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I think she’s the right choice. A hit beam from her in finals will bring more than a hit vault from Akhaimova.

Is that sheep jump credible? It looked very short of body position real-time. Eta, just saw the replay, its fine. Just the weird angle messing with me

Last edited:
Well, this goes well with your earlier post - which was spot on. BB worldwide is a total sh*tshow, even though you can do crossways jumps that 8 year olds learn for .10 less than an Onodi / Kochetkova / Rulfova / Kolesnikova.

There’s NO content in Melnikova’s routine. How much more can they water this set down?
  1. From a Punch Front mount to a Switch Split Leap
  2. From a Punch Front / Punch Front Pike / Punch Front 1/2 to 0 saltos
  3. From a BHS-BHS-LO to a BHS-LSO
  4. From a Full-In Pike to a DBL Pike
She performs the easiest D elements in the code for her Acro (aside from the Kochetkova) - all aerials. Her Acro series is the easiest possible to fulfill the requirement (B+C). Her mount is the easiest D out there and done for .20 CV/SB. Her dance are the simplest options out there… I DON’T GET IT!

I mean, change to what, though? Nix the wolf turn or side jump? All she does is a Kotchetkova, and then the obvious dance elements and aerials. One of her falls was flic + laystep.

It is great she’s simplified her routines to her advantage, but this beam saga is a mess and she’s risking not making AA finals.

I think we all agree on that, it’s just it begs the question how feasible this “hit routine” from her is.

Good question I think it’s a mental block issue moreso than the skills themselves but Russians don’t believe in sports psychologists.

I just assumed based on her old attempts that it was a poor one. But this actually does look solid. Thanks for the screencap! Her switch 1/2 ring on floor has improved a lot the last 1/2 year or so. Perhaps next year they can add some code-abusing ring combos in

Who knows, beam at Worlds ended up being okay enough in 2019 for her despite the rough run-up, but she’d probably not want to risk a 13.3 again in Tokyo prelims.

I just don’t know what else there is to try that they haven’t tried yet unless it’s an old composition or watering down. I can’t imagine they’re upgrading, and it seems like her beam routine has been undergoing CoP-optimizing surgery for years now.

I mean, a huge part of the issue is that she is doing a different routine every week. I’ve never understood the Russians and why they wait until the last possible moment to unveil upgrades.

Martha sucks, but the US girls used to have routine construction almost completely set by classics. No wonder they used to hit the shit out of their sets.

Yeah, though to be fair, we’ve all been trying to rewrite Skinner’s FX and BB (and UB) into things that she can do that don’t suck and if Tom had any brains, he’d be sitting down with her coaches and with Al Fong and laying down the law. I mean, straight up “your gymnast(s) will NOT have a shot at the team if you keep trying to do that 3.5 twist combo/illusion turn/pirouette” etc.

I do like it when the gymnasts have a plan b routine in case they mess something up but to have a plan b routine, they need to have a semi-reliable plan a routine.

Agreed. I hope the Cheng looks like that in Tokyo. I also hope her mental game is on because the team is going to need it, and she’ll need it in qualification so she doesn’t she knocked out of the AA.

I had a feeling the Cheng would materialize given how early she was twisting her Lopez at the Russian Cup. Still, she stops twisting below the table so I’m not too confident in it. On the plus side, she looks even more patient on UB

I actually really hope that Melnikova can get an individual medal. I’m sure that’s her last gymnastics goal.

I am pro-Melnikova medal also.

My problem is that I can’t decide where I hope that medal comes. She’s good on all 4 and literally could medal anywhere. But more like an outside shot in all 4 cases. Are all-around even ties possible? I forgot the rules. (I want Andrade and Lee to get all-around medals!)

Last edited:
Those are my 4 also! If Suni can win gold on UB, I think I would rather see Andrade and Melnikova get silver/bronze AA. (Unless there can be a bronze tie!)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back