US National Championships, June 3-6, 2021

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Just rewatching today’s podium now. It was very surreal seeing Anna Liukin on the floor with Valeri with the WOGA juniors on bars. I don’t ever remember that before.

Suni is one bad landing on away from going nowhere. I know she said she needs the AA experience before trials, but it’s all for nothing if she aggravates things and ends up going nowhere. Potential US Olympic bars gold medalist or risk nothing. I wonder if Tom is really pushing the whole AA thing still.

I thought Shilese looked great today,

Spencer has podium training notes up.

He notes that Jade started her run for the triple double lay well outside the floor lines both times so he doesn’t necessarily think it’s actually going in her routine.

Also, I might’ve missed it elsewhere but Jordan’s showing a second vault again. (Tsuk full)

Last edited:
I don’t know that a fall on Jade’s new skill would necessarily take her out of the FX EF running. I can’t find the European FX scoring but since that is the most recent international metric we have, if Jade can keep the rest of her high value passes, she can probably absorb a fall and still qualify like Simone can. It might take her out of AA running but FX has kinda been a void this quad. So qualifications might be the time to go for it. But unless she can get some more height, she should retire it after that.

@makam I was assuming that if Jade fell in qualifications another US girl would qualify to the FX finals in her place. Wasn’t she passed in qualifications at 2019 Worlds with just some messy landings?

Yeah Suni passed her because she went out of bounds. I believe they tied.

But we have yet to see any non-Simone score like Suni did on this year. Chiles is close but her dance elements hold her back.

Though yeah Jade was far from a fall ahead of the next American. Even skipping Suni.

Last edited:
We’ve had a long break from competition, Martha’s gone, and the old system has been replaced with a supposedly more humane one, and it’s looking like it’s going to be last woman standing AGAIN. Is it the four-person team? Tom’s narrow focus on AA? Or is the sport just inherently brutal at this level? I mean, it’s probably a bit of all of those, but I was really hoping for better given the unplanned break in 2020.

Unfortunately it seems like a bunch of people got injured during the break. An extra year of just doing high level gymnastics even without competitions is still a lot of pounding and repetitive stress. Especially for people already carrying old injuries like Morgan’s elbows.

Marta took gymnasts and broke them with overtraining in the lead up. This year a bunch of people are coming in already beat up.

Last edited:
I think, in part, the sport is just brutal at this level and not everyone is Simone. (Did you ever think a woman could do a triple-double or a YDP? She has amazing technique and seems almost injury-proof.)

Grace’s broken hand seems like bad luck. Morgan has chronic elbow problems but it is unfortunate timing on these last two surgeries. Riley had a bad coach (and bad luck). Marta probably would have broken Suni by now.

Suni’s floor is so beautiful but I thought she looked in a lot of pain after her first pass- tears back of eyes pain. Could just be the lighting but I’m so worried she won’t last until Tokyo if she doesn’t take it easier.

I gave Suni a 9.1 E score for that UB set. If it gets the 6.8 that is a whopping 15.9

Might have been a bit generous.

ETA- Tom should do his job and tell Suni not to vault or do FX or if she does, water down significantly.
I wouldn’t make her do a DTY until Olympics and full floor difficulty either.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back