2020 Event Finals Day 1 MAG FX/PH WAG VT/UB (Sunday, August 1, 2021)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Reading the posts in order, and reading very quickly, I started reading @gtu07’s post thinking that “he” was still Skinner’s husband. I mean, come on.

Posts about Skinner’s husband’s posts need to go somewhere else. …Event finals, Day 1. Say more about that!

Ugh, this is what happens when there’s no video available directly after the competition to micro-analyze to death!

Last edited:
I think one poster said something about it above, but thoughts on the execution scores for Zapata vs. Dolgopyat? While I am happy for Dolgopyat and Israel, I felt that today his execution of his (very difficult) routine was more than one tenth worse than Zapata’s.

McKayla Maroney talked about vault finals and her 2012 Olympic experience in her Instagram stories:
https://instagram.com/stories/mckaylamaroney/2630801061008168273?utm_medium=share_sheet

A summary posted on Reddit:
"McKayla is talking about her experience in the vault final in 2012 and then suggests some reasons why Jade struggled today.

Starts by talking about her injuries in 2012. She’d hit the back or her head so hard it had broken her nose, and was made to do the concussion test over and over until she passed as she kept failing so she could compete. Upon arriving in London, immediately after the plane (where she was given sleeping pills by Nassar) Marta made them all go train immediately without rest. She was made to do multiple beam routines which is where she broke her foot.

Nassar told Marta that her foot wasn’t broken, it was just an old broken toe. She subsequently had to have surgery for the break, and she talks a little about the dangers of competing on the foot and how it made the surgery harder and potentially less successful due to reduced blood flow. She mentions Marta screaming at her telling her to get over it, and she blames Marta specifically for her breaking her foot. She also said she was given 5 days to ice it and told to vault and if she didn’t she’d be off the team.

She says in 2012 she waited an hour to compete and it was nearly impossible to keep warm. She also talks about how uncomfortable it felt to be jumping up and down and doing things to keep warm when the cameras wouldn’t leave her alone. She said by the time she actually came to vault she couldn’t feel her legs for her first vault, and said this was pretty normal."

Does Yeo SeoJeong train an Amanar? She seems to have plenty of power

I would bet $10 million she’s tried them. She must have.

I also would bet $10 (not million. just regular) she’s a tried a double salto vault in both forward and backward directions. In fact, I’ll bump that up to $100, and add a $10 wager that she’s tried a Tsuk double tuck at least a couple times.

😉

Last edited:
But she didn’t thank goodness. I’ll always want Suni to medal over Simone’s more basic routine. And Simone might have fumbled as well, like half the field here.

I mean to go back and judge it at some point but I’ve been too lazy so far this Olympics to really dig through NBC for individual routines.

Whilst this is awful, I don’t see any parallels with Jade’s situation. Yes she’s had some injuries this year but she’s been well paced by her father, who is there as her coach. This makes her the only gymnast I believe who is there with a family member. The argument about lack of one touch warm up in EFs is a valid one, but it affects all of the athletes, for every event final, at every competition

I agree it affects everyone. Anyway, just sharing what she said today and that one touch would be safer for everyone, since it’s vault finals day.

Have the Karolyi’s come out against any of the statements made about them? Or have they gone into hiding?

Reactions: L_R
They did do an interview in 2019, I think. It was on YouTube. I can’t find the whole thing, but here’s a bit of it:

Isn’t it a random draw, though? The top vaulters don’t always vault last, or was that the case in 2012?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back