WAG/MAG Podium Training Notes/ Quick Hits/ Reports (Wed. July 21- Thurs. July 22)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Which routine is a pausathon in your instinct? Ou Yushan has never had any glaring pauses in her routine besides before the front handspring + front tuck combo. For Guan, I think I deducted for four pauses which is a lot, but we’ve definitely seen worse.

I think it just demonstrates how two (or more) people can have very different experiences with a person. Pretty straightforward but the public seems to have trouble digesting the idea.

I’ll be mad if jade doesn’t chuck a triple double at some point. Like, what is she waiting for???

Hopefully EFs. But still why risk not getting to do it if you don’t qualify?? If your Games has already gone that poorly, you go home with nothing anyways

Which is why I 💯 don’t understand not throwing it in quals. Is she expecting to fall on it??? Get. It. Named.

I think she should in qualifications too.

Reactions: One
Listen, I was a mediocre gymnast. When you got to state in high school, you did what you wanted because that was it. Your coach was like “you do you”. There were no other opportunities. You threw your best shit, because either you weren’t gonna make finals and it didn’t matter, or you were only gonna make finals IF you did your best shit, or if you werent gonna make finals, you were gonna be more mad you didn’t do what you could when you could. And then you graduated and never competed again.

I have a friend who was the first to do an arabian double pike in an Illinois state finals meet in highschool.

He fell on it, opening pass. He still did the double layout he learned a week ago as his last pass, and fell on that too since he was tired from the first fall. His mother was furious. He got an 8.875 with two falls. I’m still proud of him a decade later. It’s just… Why would you not throw it??? You’re done after this meet

Last edited:
Yeah if you weigh the risks and what you are getting out of everything I think having your name on a skill is the best. It’s like immortality in a way.

Interestingly, the second place qualifier on FX goes last in EF. If that’s Jade, she will know everything before her to decide what to do.

I think the triple double layout would have to be much better than what she showed in training to justify, but that was also one time and not at her peak.

Last edited:
I loved Laschenova’s “Jingle Bells.” And I remember “Sleigh Ride” in 1992. Neither one of these songs is specific to Christmas, but summer was the wrong season for sure.

Last edited:
I doubt Simone skips AA in TF, and Suni only doing bars in TF isn’t happening, either, unless prelims beam gets feral. Suni’s beam isn’t high-impact anyway, it can bring in a huge score, and it’s a good aesthetic statement considering whoever is in the second spot is going to be bookended by at least one of Listunova and Urazova, or Tang. And while Gelya’s wolf turn is A Thing, her switch leap and cross positions are textbook. If Chiles is going, she better go first, be as solid as possible, and then scuttle that ass off the podium before the judges second-guess their scores.

I’d say this for USA prelims, and just take away the parentheses for TF. I suppose Lee could do FX in TF and gain some tenths over Chiles, but her face after some of those vault and floor landings in PT make me nervous and you might as well saddle Chiles and McCallum with as many TF responsibilities as possible at this point, within reason (aka no bars for McCallum and no beam for Chiles).

VT: (Lee), McCallum, Chiles, Biles
UB: (McCallum), Chiles, Biles, Lee
BB: (Chiles), McCallum, Lee, Biles
FX: (Lee), Chiles, McCallum, Biles

Last edited:
I like those lineups and it is a far cry from the “Grace will only be used on TF VT so why even bring her” that was flying around when people apparently forgot she was recovering from an injury and on an upward trajectory.

So the general consensus on the Gymnaverse spreadsheet (now six judges) is that Grace easily qualified 2nd into the AA final.

Interesting that Gymcastic, after a whole month of ragging on Tom’s decision to take Grace for the team, have not made ONE SINGLE PEEP about this.

Whatever happens in Prelims - Grace was the best pick for that 4th spot and I don’t give a fuck what the USAG numbers said.

Love Suni, but secretly hope that Grace makes AA finals. Suni’s ankles are making me scared. Her vault is not great at all and I am very nervous for each landing as well as floor. They added the double layout but IDK why they kept the double tuck, it is pointless as she loses more than its worth and its a scary landing as well.

Totally they should remove the double tuck and the double L. She should run across the floor doing a lovely split ring and throw some deuces in the air like Pavlova

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back