WAG/MAG Podium Training Notes/ Quick Hits/ Reports (Wed. July 21- Thurs. July 22)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

When Romania got 1-2-3 in Sydney the USA argued desperately for two per country lol.

Well, of course. That pisses me off because I’m sitting here thinking that 3 per country would help not only the US, but Russia and probably China.

Last edited:
And Britain.

But the Olympics does need a bit of diversity, no?

PBars would be boring if it was 3 chinese, 3 Japanese and 2 Russians, wouldn’t it? Ha

But bumping up the AA to 36 helps because that’s an addition 12 gymnastics, so who cares if 3 or 4 countries have 3. Some countries may even have two instead of one. I’m not saying event finals should be three per country, just all-around.

Last edited:
Yup and bumping down from 36 to 24 and 2 per country did not help variety like the FIG was hoping for.
It did cut down the length of the meet however, which was the main goal. Instead of 2 rotations within a rotation there is just one, and just one warm up instead of two.

But its not supposed to be about diversity and keeping you from being bored, is it? Its supposed to be about actual athletic achievement.

It’s funny that US fans weren’t making these arguments when USSR and ROM were winning everything though

It’s funny that US fans weren’t making these arguments when USSR and ROM were winning everything though
I don’t think the US was in the conversation for podium finishes back in those days. If 84 had been a fully attended Oly MLR wouldn’t have even medaled.

Last edited:
I wasn’t even born until 1988, and I remember being disappointed about the AA going from 36 to 24 after 2001 and that there couldn’t be sweeps anymore. I think it’s governing bodies of western nations that wanted to end the possibility, not necessarily fans.

Last edited:
It seems like every year we lose numbers and air time. In 1992 you had to pay more for it but we had a triple cast that gave us every routine.

Last edited:
The competitions would be shorter if the judges could get the scores out quicker. Maybe simplifying things so that can actually happen would be better. It’s not like scores do a good job of separating or sometimes even ranking anymore.

The only issue is D Panel on beam. It’s Cheryl!

Talking of Cheryl - what’s her assignment this year?

Last edited:
Nellie Kim told someone I know a few years ago that the WTC wouldn’t consider overhauling or separating artistry, because a lot of the judges don’t understand the deductions that exist already and they can’t be trusted to take them 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
So she must have an “Excellent” E Panel rating on the intercontinental

Totally they should remove the double tuck and the double L.
Gahhhh so annoying that this came true.

ETA:

This user has recently uploaded all of the Podium Training videos.

Watching these again, it’s crazy to think how different the Olympics could have gone.

Suni had an awful meet (except for this bar routine which I think would have beaten Nina in EF). Simone and Grace did excellently.

Grace absolutely connected the Sissone to Full Turn.

Jade hit her opening bars connection and dismounted with a Double Double (which I believe she took out for Prelims).

Jordan’s leaps on beam, looking back now, were REALLY bad. Like, Skinner bad. I can’t believe we were all so blindsided by the execution deductions. Looking back now it’s so clear that, compared to the Russians, those body shapes absolutely deserved being hammered. I guess we were so deep in the USA Classics Nats Trials tunnel that it was hard to take a step back.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back