Team USA Leotard Reveal: Get Your Eye Bleach Ready!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I'm reading the NYT article, and Jeanne Diaz just doesn't get it, I've decided. And the obsession with sparkles is just insane. Not all talk is good talk. 10,000 crystals?!?!? WTF?!? Or is it just that I am getting old?
As someone who's job involves working with large quantities of Swarovski crystals, I am cringing at how heavy a leotard with 10,000 crystals would be.

Now that you've mentioned the cumulative weight of the crystals, I wonder if that heft has any effect on the gymnasts.

I like the flag one from a distance, up close the red blocks are a bit weird. It's like a bedazzled update of an Athens leotard. I like the firework one.

The blue and white could be stunning but the swirls ruin it IMHO. Not a fan of that lines and swirls combination, just losing the torso swirls would be big improvement Wong’s hair is hiding quite a lot of hers in the group pic. Negative stars are interesting, but I’m always going to dislike the current straight belt/horizontal trend (repeat for the long chest V trend).
I agree - the swirls I don't get and aren't my favorite part.
I think the worst part is that the gymnasts actually want their leos to look like this. They don't seem to understand that the more sparkle and crystals, the tackier they look. And then it sounds like it trickles down to other countries from the U.S. Yikes.
I think this is why I actually still like them even though they are over the top - this is what the women/girls want and continue to request. It sounds like they LOVE the sparkles and crystals.
Now that you've mentioned the cumulative weight of the crystals, I wonder if that heft has any effect on the gymnasts.
I was shocked when the article said it was only a 1 lb leo - seems like it would be so heavy, considering.

USA men
1720632969992.png

Trampoline
1720633062315.png

I’m glad the men don’t ask for crystals.
I like the men's outfits.
I agree - the swirls I don't get and aren't my favorite part.

I think this is why I actually still like them even though they are over the top - this is what the women/girls want and continue to request. It sounds like they LOVE the sparkles and crystals.

I was shocked when the article said it was only a 1 lb leo - seems like it would be so heavy, considering.
Bad taste is bad taste. Maybe, they'll look better in person. I'll be able to report on that.

Last edited:
They are all almost nice. But in keeping with current leo trends, they go about 5 steps too far. Edit, edit, edit! 1 or 2 ideas per leo would be plenty. Some of these look like several Leo's cut and pasted together. I also hate the V thing that's popular now.

They are all almost nice. But in keeping with current leo trends, they go about 5 steps too far. Edit, edit, edit! 1 or 2 ideas per leo would be plenty. Some of these look like several Leo's cut and pasted together. I also hate the V thing that's popular now.
The mesh V-neck thing has been in fashion since 2008 (both the red and pink leos Shawn and Nastia wore in the all-around), although it seems to be even more common now.

I actually like the high neck one on Suni. I think the white one on Hezly is gorgeous. The one on Simone is nice, even though I usually don't care for deep v's. I like the blue ombre one, too.

I like the idea of the flag leo, but it looks too busy.
I also like the one Hezley is wearing. It’s so restrained and classy (relatively) that I’m afraid it will just be a training Leo.

Oh for a three striped Adidas leo...

These are so gaudy - more suitable for erotic dancing of some description than for sport.
In one of the articles the designer said that their inspirations included evening wear and lingerie. And I'm like one of the gymnasts is barely 16, that's not okay!
I also feel subtly embarrassed that the sport is being represented by fashion so much. That may be vaguely hypocritical of me, given that I love figure skating and I get that both are artistic sports, but it feels like it pulls away from the extreme athleticism. We'd all feel a little odd if, like, pole vaulters did a reveal of their crystal-encrusted outfits before competing. And I'm not sure how to overcome the cognitive dissonance I'm feeling with this.

In one of the articles the designer said that their inspirations included evening wear and lingerie. And I'm like one of the gymnasts is barely 16, that's not okay!
I also feel subtly embarrassed that the sport is being represented by fashion so much. That may be vaguely hypocritical of me, given that I love figure skating and I get that both are artistic sports, but it feels like it pulls away from the extreme athleticism. We'd all feel a little odd if, like, pole vaulters did a reveal of their crystal-encrusted outfits before competing. And I'm not sure how to overcome the cognitive dissonance I'm feeling with this.
That's disturbing. I must have glossed over the lingerie mention. Yikes, yikes, yikes.

I am lmao at the giant bald eagle head that’s bigger than the athlete’s own head, looking like it’s stoned out of its mind with those bloodshot eyes.
Yeah, I really don't care for the Murica Bald Eagle Freedum outfits the men wear, but at least this bird appears to be having a good time.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back