Russia-Ukraine War: Effects on Gymn World

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Russia has been flagrantly offensive in the sports realm over the past decade. This isn’t just about geopolitics. It’s also a sports issue. Efforts to prevent Russian & Belarusian participation aren’t about punishing these countries. The rest of the world is taking steps to ensure a safe and cooperative sporting environment. And a cooperative environment won’t include Russia nor Belarus for a year or two.

Most of my ire is directed towards IOC members and governing body leadership, not towards Russians & Belarusians. Many sports bigwigs, even now, expect Ukrainians to bear Russia’s burden at competitions. And the rest of the world needs to remind them that’s not okay.

Exclusion from the congress obviously will not change Russia’s behavior nor is that the expectation or the intent. But a statement has to be made that when you threaten world order you can not expect to be included in international sporting events.

Moreover, this is not about human rights violations. Its about presenting a significant threat to the world order, to global peace and security and economic stability. The Saudis are not threatening the world with WWIII. So I have no idea what your point is about them.

Last edited:
There are many things that economically powerful, western governments and organisations could do to actually make a difference to people under attack from authoritarian regimes.
Like what? You’ve already said you’re against economic sanctions, boycotts and ineligibility. What else is there?

Also, would you consider it appropriate to require UKR gymnasts to perform on the floor alongside gymnasts who have worn the “Z” or have gone to pro-war rallies ?

There are many things that economically powerful, western governments and organisations could do to actually make a difference to people under attack from authoritarian regimes. This isn’t it, it’s actually detrimental. Every single time you do it, there’s someone in Russia saying you know, Putin is right about the west
And yet the Ukrainian gymnasts, people who are under attack from an authoritarian regime, vocalised that they didn’t want to compete alongside Russians. So they obviously felt it made a difference to them. And now they don’t have to. None of them have made any suggestion that it’s detrimental, whereas competing alongside Russians evidently was. Clearly the Ukrainian gymnasts are the ultimate authority on how both experiences have impacted them.

I follow both Gymnovosti and Luba (the Editor) on Twitter so I’ve seen some heartbreaking videos and reports today. As much as I love Russian gymnastics I cannot condone Russian athletes being anywhere near international competition while all this is going on. Radivilova’s video of some of the gymnasts (including juniors) taking refuge in a basement had me in bits. :cry:.

Policing what nations do to their own citizens within their own borders is always a thorny issue. Virtually EVERY nation has its own history of injustice. But crossing borders into other nations is a red line that virtually the entire world agrees cannot be allowed to be crossed. If a nation cannot respect the boundaries of other nations, they should not be a part of the international community.

Approximately 10 million people died across these wars. We musn’t be choosy about when imperialism is okay and when it is not.

We are about to stray into off- topic territory when we start talking about invasions in general. Please limit discussion to “Effects On Gym World”.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDB
Eythora says her floor music is inspired by the War in Ukraine.

That was a so-so response, I guess. I don’t like the “we don’t want to see” language there. Who cares what you want?

Especially given that, at a previous FIG-sanctioned event, where Ilia Kovtun won a gold medal, he had to stand next to the little brat who wore the Pro-Russian-Invasion “Z”.
16465067373327.jpg

I feel like he, of all people, should get a “freebie”, especially during podium training, of all times. :-/
P.S. I like the shirt itself! Simple but nice Ukrainian-colored design!

I think the FIG have made the correct call. No politics means no politics and any international sports governing body must remain apolitical. They certainly cannot make allowances for one athlete.

Whilst it might seem heavy handed for podium training, there are still a lot of media there and it’s still a FIG event

Last edited:
I normally don’t support these types of shirts/statements for the reasons MaryClare mentioned. But Watanabe’s feathers really needed to be ruffled considering all the nonsense he’s done this year. Ilia Kovtun should totally wear face paint during the qualification round. That would shake Watanabe to his core.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back