Past Gymnastics Message Board Memories- Which was your first message board?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 408
  • Start date Start date

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I started with GGMB in 2004.

Some of the posters had a lot of knowledge and some of it was funny, but the atmosphere became increasingly toxic so I jumped over here once this board started in 2006.

I was also a member of GymWorld, IG Forum, and TAAF.

Who among us remembers Marco from GymWorld? IG also had a lot of conflict.

I read Reddit once in a while but never post. Compared to GGMB and the IG Forum, that place is a model of decorum.

The forum Craig started was Smash Bucket. I was never part of it.

GGMB was so toxic. I was tormented for 3 pages because I asked a question about gymnasts promoting products and whether they were actually allowed to partake of said products. They changed my user name and started saying as stupid as "double pike," when anyone else said something that they thought was dumb. I didn't know anything about the products because it was all in Chinese. So yeah Abomb and his crew were such jerks. I was actually off of boards for a couple of years because of it. I had forgotten about signing up for this board till I got a "happy birthday" in my email (thanks for the birthday wishes) a few years back. I came and checked it back out and was happy to see how much kinder everyone was. I also like the fact that if someone or something seems out of hand we can say something and it is taken into consideration instead of being berated for it. I was on a lot of other boards as well but the only one I like is this one. So this is the only place I go.

I remember Marco as well as quite a few others. Was randomly wondering whatever happened to Bikerbloke after Gymworld.

I also remember some of the smaller forums such as Holly Golightly’s TBGN website.

I read Reddit once in a while but never post. Compared to GGMB and the IG Forum, that place is a model of decorum.

Yeah. I think one of the benefits (sometimes) of Reddit is the anonymity, which means that things very rarely get personal. On the old boards there were lots of personal conflicts.

Also, the gymternet seems to be have become WAY less catty over the years.

I started with GGMB. There were others I tried but they were too lame.

At one time GGMB had some really good tea - but there was also a lot of drama

(does anyone remember the camp meal reports from the ranch?)
As is often the case, GGMB was good when the leadership were just ordinary gym fans. Once several of them started to mix with coaches, athletes etc, it definitely went to their heads

Parkette’s cleaning lady was hilarious.

does anybody remember the reality/counseling TV show that Atler was on?

I think it was called Starting Over?

Also recall after Sydney interviews where Atler expressed regret in leaving the Rybackis.

She started training a comeback in 2002/2003 with them.

IIRC, there Atler stated she was doing Amanars on the new vault table, and she was training a RO 1/2 on, double front (Produnova) off, amongst other skills, that of course we never got to see.

does anybody remember the reality/counseling TV show that Atler was on?
I think it was called Starting Over.

I belonged to GGMB from 2003-2012. It was fun until it wasn't. Like many people here, I'm happy to see that the gymternet (and this forum in particular) is much more cilivized now.

I joined WWGym in 2007 (right after the 2007 American Cup, actually) and TAAF not long after that. Those were the main forums I was on. I was briefly on the IG and GymWorld forums. Joined GGMB but didn't spend much time there since it was already a toxic cesspool by that point.

From Jeff right? Shayla’s coach.

The meal reports were from Marvin Sharp.

Speaking of Jeff Wood, back in the day, I was much more prolific about posting routine scoring breakdowns, and I incurred his wrath by downgrading one of Shayla's switch ring leaps due to the front leg being below horizontal.

IIRC, there Atler stated she was doing Amanars on the new vault table, and she was training a RO 1/2 on, double front (Produnova) off, amongst other skills, that of course we never got to see.

This was from her time at Rohnert Park Gymnastics in 2001.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back