Past Gymnastics Message Board Memories- Which was your first message board?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 408
  • Start date Start date

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I remember GGMB boasting about how they had tons of famous gymnasts and “VIP insiders” that were their secret sources or incognito posters on the board. Like the CIA. I always had my doubts though…

"Tons" is overselling it, but when I was an admin there, I was surprised at the number of coaches and family members who would happily pass along inside information. Few wanted to post it themselves (not everyone was like Jeff or Suzanne), understandably. Very few active gymnasts at the time.

I was also the webmaster for a few gymnasts' personal websites (when I was like 14 years old lol) in the wake of Atler's website being so popular. I remember I would be on AIM with these "famous" gymnasts working on their little bios and online diaries. What a time to be alive.
Were you Atler's webmaster/host by chance? Because it seems to me that you share a name with him.

The main thing I liked about GGMB were the routine breakdowns by Legolas. I learned a lot about how to watch gymnastics from a code perspective. Today, I'm a pretty good armchair judge!

While I'm not nearly as active as I was back then, I'm still around! It totally makes my day to read this, especially after being embroiled in the ongoing travel disaster in the U.S. for the past few days. I was fortunate enough to be able to just go home, rather than being stuck in an airport, but it was disappointing to have to reschedule a trip I had been looking forward to for quite some time.

Work is pretty crazy right now, but I'll definitely try to post some evaluations for the Olympics and answer questions that anyone may have. I'm also slowly chipping away at a historical COP project, but more on that when I have something more substantial to share!

Last edited:
was there an about.com gymnastics forum? I definitely would have been on there if there was, but I can't remember. Otherwise I've been (mostly) lurking on wwgym/here since...maybe 2008?

While I'm not nearly as active as I was back then, I'm still around! It totally makes my day to read this.
You know it's funny I was never sure you were you til this post. :-)

Excited to hear more about your historical code project...

@Concorde Do you want a separate 2024 Olympics: Judge this Routine thread?

Might be helpful if the requests were in one spot.

Let me know!
Saw you went forward with this. It's a great idea. For a bunch of us, it's our way of enjoying the Olympics more!

Does anyone actually know who Abomb was in real life? I always wondered if he ended up in jail or something… 🤣

I don't know what he's up to these days, but I knew Abomb personally. When I was banned from GGMB in 2006, our friendship imploded.

Does anyone actually know who Abomb was in real life? I always wondered if he ended up in jail or something… 🤣
Quite a few people on here have met him. I haven’t, but we did email quite a bit during the quest for Olomouc days. He somehow knew that I was at Leatherhead with Vlad Aksenov although I’d never mentioned that publicly

Given how involved that whole “in crowd” on GGMB, it’s strange that the majority have disappeared from the gymnternet. Or at least stay under the radar. Doc passed away a couple of years ago

Not a message board, but Gymn-forum.net has been in business for almost 30 years. 1995!
I remember using modem dial-up and patiently waiting for results to load.
I attempted to print out competition results and put them in binders.

My parents put a fast end to that after I went through two reams of paper, and countless ink cartridges.

Before we had live results, that was the place to find the results of competitions. I remember loving the NEW next to a competition link and getting excited.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back