Past Gymnastics Message Board Memories- Which was your first message board?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 408
  • Start date Start date

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I never was part of AOL, but I was on an email listserve, which is how I found oobness. Also I remember GGMB banning lurkers; I was scared it would happen to me, but I posted barely enough.
I started on the listserv too, but I can't remember what it was called. Someone else mentioned it awhile back though. I did read the AOL boards, but I don't remember much from those. I definitely lurked on OOBness, GGMB/GymScoop, and a little bit on WWGym.

I never was part of AOL, but I was on an email listserve, which is how I found oobness. Also I remember GGMB banning lurkers; I was scared it would happen to me, but I posted barely enough.
I used to lurk (not post), and I think this is when I got the boot.

I have followed gymnastics since 1972 and Olga. From around 1976 to 1990 I used to go to all of those Soviet displays in London and the Champions All spring competitions that were used as a warm up for Euros or as a competition for new juniors. There were also the pre-Christmas competitions (Coco-Cola/Kraft) that I also tried to get to. I saw many of the greats of that era either competing on in the displays.

My first gym forum was Gymworld until it was overtaken by the Dina scandal - I then moved through several others including GGMB until I found this forum.

I started with Outofbounceness then moved to GGMB and gymworld. The hub was amazing. I am always thankful that Rafiki started that

That explains so much. Yeah, she’s super rude and condescending on Reddit. I had to disengage with her before I got banned. She thinks she knows everything, even though she hasn’t been watching gymnastics for long and missed so many things.

But I started with OOBN, then GGMB and Gymworld also.

My online gymnastics life in order of joining:

1. OOBN (around 1999 U.S. Nationals)
2. Gymn-L Distribution list (late 1999 / early 2000)
3. GGMB (late 2000 / early 2001)
4. GymWorld (2002)
5. / 6. WWGym / TAAF (both 2006, but I can't remember which was first of the two)
7. Reddit (late 2022)

OOBNess was my first forum too, probably sometime around 1998 or 1997. That was a time - I was very young and didn't know how to internet yet (though I'm not sure anyone really did at that point). I can't remember if I subscribed to Gymn-L, or if I just heard so much about it that I feel like I did.

I peaced out of gymnastics from about 2001-2008, then joined IGF. Lived through the drama of Nastia vs. Shawn, Komova vs. Douglas. Joined wwgym around 2009, and TAAF at some point. Never was part of GGMB - I didn't qualify for membership and was never sad about it.

Peaced out of the sport for another five year or so in the mid 2010s, found my way back around 2018. IGF was dying and I couldn't remember my TAAF password. Went back to wwgym till it exploded. Then joined the FB page, then came here. Voila.

My online gymnastics life in order of joining:

1. OOBN (around 1999 U.S. Nationals)
2. Gymn-L Distribution list (late 1999 / early 2000)
3. GGMB (late 2000 / early 2001)
4. GymWorld (2002)
5. / 6. WWGym / TAAF (both 2006, but I can't remember which was first of the two)
7. Reddit (late 2022)
Oh, Gymn-L was one the the lists I was on - but was there another earlier one?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back