NBC Broadcast Criticism/Conversation

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Sam was pronouncing Cheng “ch-ay-ng” at Classics but she said “chung” correctly tonight

someone tweeted about it the other week (without tagging her). I like to think she’s getting her tips from the gymternet at large

Tbh it’s one of those skills where the wrong pronunciation is the accepted norm in English. No one says “chung” just like they don’t say “kutch-yov”. Even Russian speaking coaches who coach in other countries don’t pronounce it the way they do when speaking Russian

I agree about Tkatchev, but not about Cheng. Lots of people still say it wrong, but it has gotten better in the past 10 years, at least here in the US, I think

I do think that Russian names are a bit harder for English speakers than most Chinese names. And there’s also a longer history of saying them wrong.

The fact that people make channels like this and get stuff WRONG makes me so angry!

WRONG

vs

Last edited:
It is wrong, but it also isn’t. Plus I’ve experienced variations in that British gyms never pronounce the T, but in the US it often is. Also the US keeps the hard ch in yurchenko where as Britain changes it to a sh, even though both pronounce it incorrectly. I always use the English pronunciations when I’m speaking English because it would feel really weird not to. But actually it just perpetuates the error since people assume that’s the correct pronunciation!

Also, why is it Yang Bo jump and not just a Yang?

Last edited:
If they got Johnny Weir to commentate gymnastics, I’m sure Americans would finally hear the words as they are supposed to be. 🙂

Your-chain, seriously?

We are so wrong.

Last edited:
Yes, that’s how I’d describe it best for an English speaker to say. The o is more of a short a sound too. Not because she’s female or anything, just because that’s how we pronounce an o.

Last edited:
They could also try a quad screen and blow up to full when a main eventer starts and if 2 are going at the same time, put a PIP in for the not-Simone one.
Relatedly, I can never understand why the broadcasts have decided it’s imperative that cameras follow a gymnast around until her score flashes, when you could easily just put a little graphic somewhere on-screen while we watch another routine. Like, these gymnasts are not giving you any melodrama with their real-time reactions to a score, what is the point?

Like, these gymnasts are not giving you any melodrama with their real-time reactions to a score, what is the point?
And even when they are (like when those world cup meets make the gymnast sit in the hot seat until their score comes up) it is so uncomfortable. Even the extroverted ones can only wave and say hi to the folks at home for a minute or two after that it is just sitting around. And i think even the rhythmic gymnasts know these days not to give ant true drama because the internet memes are forever. I don’t think there will be any more Ashley Wagner “what the hell is that score” moments.

I guess if there is nothing else happening, showing the gymnasy wait is better than cookieface…but not much better! (Sorry, i loved cookieface)

Last edited:
I think it’s quite telling that Sam made zero attempts to acknowledge that Simone’s Cheng on night 2 was not very good. Like, she just kept saying she was quick and landed like a cat in a perfect position or whatever. No mention of being crooked on the table, overshooting the block, dropping quickly, loose form on the last part of the twist. Nothing.

I found that super bizarre as well. That was one of the worst vaults we’ve ever seen from Biles and there was no attempt to contextualize it for the viewer. She probably only would’ve pointed it out if Simone had flown directly onto the judges’ table or something – obvious errors that are safe to point out because everyone with eyesight can identify them.

I noticed that, too, but what do you personally think it’s telling of?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back