NBC Broadcast Criticism/Conversation

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Not sure what Yarotska is getting at, I mean it’s a tough job that Peszek has been given, which is essentially to dumb down the sport to its most broadly common narratives. And the narrative with Simone is simply: “GOAT!” So the fact that she got probably her worst vault E score ever and piked down a Cheng – which she hasnt competed in a few years – is potentially hard to narratively square with the fact that she still had the best vault score of the night, and 9.250 is a pretty respectable e score generally speaking. I think Tim Daggett would have made a more substantial comment that he was used to rolling out whenever a routine was “simone bad but still good” – he’d say something about her super high standards not being met, etc.

Ok here’s the most demoralizing thing about the entire broadcast that I haven’t heard mentioned yet: the fact that every single fluff was repeated on night 2, which I’ve never seen before at any US Championships broadcast (i’ve been watching since 1996)… just the total pinnacle of this idea that the entire broadcast is tailored to random TV consumption and ignoring actual fans of the sport who might, ya know, be choosing to watch 2 days of a major competition. :confused:

I felt like the weirdest part of Sam’s comments about Simone’s vault were the ones about accuracy on the landing, when in fact that particular vault wasn’t drilled (even though we all know that Simone can drill a vault on any given day). It felt like she was told what she had to say ahead of time.

I noticed that, too, but what do you personally think it’s telling of?
That she’s either unable or unwilling to “shake the table” and as someone that can see what’s happening in front of me, I can’t take her seriously in her job.

But after classics, I sent her a tweet shading NBC for not letting her see (aka not airing) Lincoln’s floor routine. You could see in the video from classic she had her back turned the whole time and there was a BLINDING light where she was talking. On another note, is that not unsafe to be using those BRIGHT AS FUCK lights at eye level while the gymnasts are actively competing??

Anyway, on the first day of championships she really laid it on thick that she’s been watching Lincoln and was excited to see her lol.

You know what my biggest gripe is with NBC this year? When they replay floor routines that they don’t show live, we always hear the background of what’s happening live in the moment. This seemed worse than previous years: I was trying to get into Shilese’ beautiful floor routine, but someone’s floor music was blaring through her replay. Like, they can’t mute the live mics when doing a replay? Especially when they’re not commentating on the routine?

I didn’t pay a ton of attention to Sam and John during these broadcasts, but with NCAA commentary they only come behind Kathy and Bart in quality as a duo. They always seemed technically competent and insightful IMO. I wonder if whatever you all are complaining about is something they’re forced to do.

I wonder if whatever you all are complaining about is something they’re forced to do.
Well them signing up to not be the best version of themselves is not really our problem. I wonder how much NBC is paying them vs ESPN. Sam seems to be doing her best to look good for the bosses. John seems to be happy to have a job.

Never said it was your problem? I’m genuinely just wondering, as I’m surprised to see the comments criticizing John and Sam’s technical abilities when they’ve always left a good impression on me during their NCAA commentary the last few years. But like I said, I didn’t really watch the broadcast. Also, I could be setting the bar low for them because NCAA commentary can be pretty horrible in general.

Do we know where Terry has been for Worlds? Steve was fine and I’m sure I can get used to him, but I enjoy Terry.

I liked the combo of John + Sam or Tim.

Do we know where Terry has been for Worlds?
From checking his Instagram it looks like he was in Italy covering a golf thing. He lists “NBC/Golf Channel Announcer” in his bio so maybe golf is his main sport and that just took precedence?

Hopefully he’s back for Winter Cup, I prefer him.

From checking his Instagram it looks like he was in Italy covering a golf thing. He lists “NBC/Golf Channel Announcer” in his bio so maybe golf is his main sport and that just took precedence?

Hopefully he’s back for Winter Cup, I prefer him.
That’s good, hopefully it was just a conflict. Steve wasn’t terrible, he at least sounded like he did his homework and doesn’t hate the sport (Al set the bar so low for us…). And his name pronunciation got better after he said a name a few times. But he was pretty bland.

Tim seemed dialed back a bit, in a good way. He really does better when they only have him doing men’s.

I thought Peszek was remarkably improved from years’ past and clearly did her homework before the assignment. She actually remembered gymnasts’ intended skills when they missed connections or improvised, noticed errors in real time and admitted her confusion about how they would be judged, and was generally invested in how things were playing out rather than how she was being perceived.

I can’t believe he’s still around. I remember watching 1997 figure skating worlds with his commentary. 25+ years! God that makes me feel old. 😌
Yes, I remember Terry from 97 Worlds too, the year Vanessa Gusmeroli won a surprise medal! Terry was great with figure skating, and he’s great with gymnastics. He’s the Kathy Johnson of color commentary.

I thought Sam was pretty good and improved.

I can, however, do with never again hearing “stick position” or “dialed in.”

Yes, I remember Terry from 97 Worlds too, the year Vanessa Gusmeroli won a surprise medal! Terry was great with figure skating, and he’s great with gymnastics. He’s the Kathy Johnson of color commentary.
Vanessa Legendoli, kitten purring, her legacy is still continuing this year with Ellie Black stealing her 1999 routine. 😍

I thought Peszek was remarkably improved from years’ past and clearly did her homework before the assignment. She actually remembered gymnasts’ intended skills when they missed connections or improvised, noticed errors in real time and admitted her confusion about how they would be judged, and was generally invested in how things were playing out rather than how she was being perceived.
Yeah, I’ve seen people complaining in other online gymnastics communities about there not being enough technical commentary with the women, but I thought Peszek was a lot better.

The legendary trio of all time is Bart, Kathy, and Robin Roberts.

I do think Sam was very impressive, she has improved tremendously.
Also, she had to call the coverage live which is also very tricky.

I felt Sam was improved, but I wish she’d broaden her talking points. I don’t know how many times she talked about keeping your eyes on the end of the beam and your arms squared to it, but it was a lot.
I also wish the commentators would take a judging course. I know that’s time consuming, but even some initial training would help. I get tired of essentially “I can’t understand what the judges would do.” At least if they took a course even if they still disagreed (and there were some scores that were certainly questionable), they’d be able to say why.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back