NBC Broadcast Criticism/Conversation

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

The first year of the new COP (2006/2007?) they didn’t use red, yellow, green and it was fantastic. It is easy to tell someone “That’s a good score/bad score.”

Even if they say “The maximum score for the routine he/she has planned is 1X.Y and the world average in recent competitions has been 1N.M, so he/she is a little behind the pack” it would at least give some context to the viewers. (and be better than some of the inane chatter they otherwise come up with)

Last edited:
If they just showed the rankings and where the athlete scored in them when their score came up, people would get it fast

Or we could subtract 6 from every score and people would be able to make sense of the scores with NO help.

Dedicated figure skating fans don’t matter for NBC’s purposes. NBC desperately needs commentators who can broaden figure skating’s audience. Four year fans love Tara & Johnny which is why they keep getting promoted.

Dedicated figure skating fans don’t matter for NBC’s purposes. NBC desperately needs commentators who can broaden figure skating’s audience. Four year fans love Tara & Johnny which is why they keep getting promoted
Exactly. From a commercial standpoint it works well for them. Which is why it’s odd that they haven’t sought to replicate it for gymnastics. Because John and Sam are not it…

Nastia’s crazy outfits made me think that they were trying to at least look like the NBC figureskating coverage (which I hate).

I think Nastia’s outfits got more over the top as she got thinner.

I think it was more that it was the look that Nastia was going for, rather than NBC and if the rumours are true that she asked for the same money, then I think it’s safe to say that’s what she was modelling herself on. It could have worked, but only with the right male co host. It just looked so out of place and OTT next to Tim looking like he was meeting a golf buddy for brunch at the country club

Last edited:
I liked Johnny and Tara both looking glam and glitzy. They complement each other.

It really works and I can totally see what Nastia was trying to do, but it doesn’t work with just 1. It is strange though that NBC have not tried to replicate it with the gymnastics coverage

Scott could get too excited/OTT or emotional and then would lose the thread of commentating. But, he clearly loved the sport which has value when you are stuck with a Tom Hammond or an Al Trautwig who clearly doesn’t. If Terry has disdain for figure skating or gymnastics, he is excellent at hiding it. Tom and Al were not. I’m fine with Johnny and Tara (Johnny is better from what I’ve seen) but they bury figure skating these days so I have become a 4 year only fan. I also liked Tanith and there was one guy who was a former skater that did at least one grand prix a few years ago and I liked him too. (Johnny and Tara were great during Sochi (?) when they weren’t on the primetime show and were able to do their own thing. Once they got promoted to the main event, some of the fun ended)

I think any of the current gymnastics commentators could do better if NBC did a better job with directing the event. It is difficult with 4 things going on and inconsistent judging times to get the camera on the right person at the right time so you get a lot of standing around, waiting to start and the commentary trying to fill the dead space when nothing is happening. But I think they feel if they switch over to Elle Mueller doing beam while waiting for Simone to start Floor, they have to stay with the gymnast they are on and not just cut over to the big name gymnast. I’m not sure I’d like them to do that because it does feel rude, but they should be able to snap right to the start of Simone’s floor and then we are watching it and the score might be ready to come up live when the slightly delayed routine ends.

They could also try a quad screen and blow up to full when a main eventer starts and if 2 are going at the same time, put a PIP in for the not-Simone one. They could tell the audience, Hey, we are trying this new thing, Xweet at us if you like it or not. and then they would get some engagement from the audience, maybe learn a few things to improve for next time. Or maybe find out that it is a terrible idea and they should go back to the standing around, chalking up TV. But since they never try anything new, we get stuck with the same old terrible coverage every time.

Last edited:
For domestic meets, USAG allows NBC to hold a gymnast from starting an event for TV reasons. So there is ZERO fucking reason to be showing Simone Biles standing around instead of Elle Mueller actually competing.

I won’t be able to watch senior men tonight, but I’m curious if the coverage differs from women.

It’s ironic because I’m probably like one of three people who liked Tara as a skater, but when commentating, she and Johnny can come across as catty, so I get annoyed.

So far they are showing MANY routines. no standing around! And Tim is being insightful.

My opinion is probably colored by the fact that I liked both as skaters, but I usually enjoy their commentary. I do agree that Tara can get a little catty sometimes. For the most part I don’t think Johnny is, really. If he says something negative he is generally right. I appreciate his technical breakdowns of skills that are usually spot on. Then again, I loved Dick Button’s commentary and very much miss it, and I know some people thought he was too harsh.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back