Nastia's Olympic Outfits

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I agree about getting rid of Tim and Nastia but I don’t think they will get rid of Nastia for a while nor Tim as you would replace Tim with the same pedigree? They always bring up that Tim is an olympic gold medalist(same with Nastia), who else could they get? Paul Hamm??

40.png
tempest:
who else could they get? Paul Hamm??
Until I saw him at Trials, I forgot what a squeaky voice he had.
That’s a hard no.
HA! 100% agree but who else is an olympic champ that “knows” what the athletes go through? I guess we do have olympic medalists like Leyva(who is also a world champ) but the pool is very small for men I think

I feel like Nastia is now competing with Johnny and Tara.

Remember when she just wore an NBC polo shirt? Who decided to let her have free reign of outfits?
I really dislike the way NBC covers gymnastics (and figure skating too). Instead of an athletic competition where the best compete and we find out who wins, they have ratings based narrative. “Watch Simone win 5 gold medals.” I get that the Simone show bring NBC $$$$. But Simone isn’t the best on beam this year so she might not win and that’s okay. I hate that they will make her seem like a failure if she doesn’t make their golden narrative come true.

Nastia’s crazy outfits play into this drama and I guess it gives the every-four-year fans something to talk about, but I find it gross and vaguely exploitative.

NBC turns every sporting event into a dramatic narrative. Skiing, swimming, hockey, football, doesn’t matter the sport. No one is shedding any tears that they got outbid for NHL rights starting this fall.

I heard through the rumor mill that she never graduated from HS- dropped out at some point? She may have gone back and finished (goodness I hope so!) but there was buzz about that for a bit a long while ago. She makes me so so sad. She appears to be so broken and lost- a victim of the worst of the sport.

I feel one of the best things I have done is make my kids paranoid about posting on SM. My oldest literally has NO SM- he hates it, my middle has insta and SC but rarely posts except for her recruiting page. Its been almost two years since she posted on her regular page. Just not their thing at all. Im not a fan of SM- my DH swears that it is rotting our society from the inside out and I can’t disagree with him.

I am so with you. We did not allow our boys to have any SM. They are both grown now, one in law school, the other in starting last year of college, but they never developed a taste for it. My husband especially drilled the dangers of it into them.

Nastia’s online info says she got a Sports Management degree at NYU when she lived in New York.

I’m gonna say it. John and Bridget make much better gymnastics commentators than Tim and Nastia.
I think Bridget sounds like she pounded a few before commentating. I don’t think she had a single constructive comment during anything MAG other than “WOW!!!” and then some ongoing analysis about a .1 or .3 step for every.fucking.competitor. Even John seemed over it when she said, enthusiastically, that Yul “stuck every pass!” And John had to retort with, “…except the ones he didn’t.”

Last edited:
I’m picturing John and Terry in a wit battle and it is glorious. Terry is kind but sharp and John is smart and sharp, Nastia would be torn to shreds trying to keep up. Maybe they can get Simone some day cuz she can dish right back as needed.

(I loved that they had Johnny and Tara (and Terry) on the “loser” broadcast–not the primetime stuff and they were so so so so so much better than Sandra, Scott, and Tom and then got the job for the next Olympics. They are a bit rehearsed now, but it was really great to have people who really cared commentating rather than those who knew the lines the network wanted them to deliver)

I think nbc likes to have former gymnasts commentate but tanith belbin white did one meet this quad and I thought she was fantastic. She asked Tim insightful questions and added to the conversation even without saying “you know when I was a gymnast” or “when I won Olympic gold.”

Ok Nastia’s red dress with the white pumps on just now was stunning. Don’t know where that came from.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back