Gymnast Social Media Megathread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an interesting one. I wonder what criteria they're likely to use for top 16? Read elsewhere that Courtney got sent to Rio because she was able to argue she was a top 16 contender on vault. She was 17th in Glasgow. I expect GRB would want to use world cup results to make her case?

I was reading on Reddit that this might be the NZ federation knowing the Olympic committee won't send Courtney because she's not competed enough, so instead trying to bolster Georgia Rose Brown's case. As in, Courtney just plain doesn't meet the criteria but they think if they can send GRB to some world cups and she places, it maximises their chances of getting to send somebody. Whereas if both were to go to the Oceania championship and Courtney beat GRB, that makes it more likely that the Olympic committee would refuse to send either. It's an interesting idea.

Not every Olympic committee has the money to just send the top athletes in all sports, so I do understand the limits places and how federations feel they need to be strategic around it. And McGregor dealt with this for her 2016 Olympic run, so it wouldn't be new to her that this is how the New Zealand federations function. But it's definitely a frustrating situation.

I wonder why it took Courtney so long to come back? Australia looked pretty good in 2022, CWG as well as worlds, and it was clear no later than Liverpool that they were legitimately in the mix for a full team in Paris. You'd think some people in the NZ federation must've clocked that there was a realistic possibility the procedures would hand them a spot by default.

I wonder why it took Courtney so long to come back? Australia looked pretty good in 2022, CWG as well as worlds, and it was clear no later than Liverpool that they were legitimately in the mix for a full team in Paris. You'd think some people in the NZ federation must've clocked that there was a realistic possibility the procedures would hand them a spot by default.
One thing I have come to learn, that unites gymnastics federations the world over. They are mostly pretty incompetent

I mean the photo of her at Metroplex is of her with Katelyn Jong instead of with a L10, not sure if that means anything. Avery King also switched from WOGA to Metroplex though and she stayed elite, so Ashlee might do the same. Katelyn, Avery, Ashlee, Zoey Molomo, and Michelle Pineda would be a solid group for them. Taylor McMahon also switched there from Texas Dreams and seems to still be planning on elite.

Dragging this back up because I saw that Avery King is now doing level 10.

There's a whole bunch of elites that appear to have dropped back to level 10 this season, based on the Nastia Cup qualifier results: Malea Milton, Annalisa Milton, Ella Murphy, Elle Mueller, Gabby Van Frayen. I'm sure there's others that we'll see as the level 10 season continues on.

Yes. Multiple gymnasts have done level 10 for the Liukin Cup and then later back to elite for the spring/summer.

For example,
Gabby Douglas did elite as a junior elite in 2008, 2009. She then competed at the Nastia Liukin Cup in 2010 as a level 10 and was back at the elite level for junior nationals in 2010.

Faith Torrez also did the Nastia Liukin Cup in 2018 and 2019 then went to elite in 2019. Can't recall if she did elite before 2018/2019 or not.

We will see more elites attempt the NLC, because it is a huge meet for college recruiting.

I believe the rules changed after Gabby did elite, dropped back to level 10 briefly, then returned to elite. I think now once you drop back to level 10, you cannot do elite that same season. So if anyone drops back to level 10 in 2024, they cannot compete at elite qualifiers, classic, nationals, etc. this year.

Faith Torrez didn't do elite before her 18 and 19 Nastia Cup appearances. She may have tested, but she wasn't considered an elite because she had never competed at Classics.

ETA, found it in Rules and Policies (page 81), emphasis mine:
4. A US Elite gymnast (an athlete who has competed as a Junior or Senior International Elite in a Classic Meet, Junior World Trials, or higher) who wants to enter the Development Program MUST petition to drop back to the Development Program, regardless of the year of competition. Her coach must complete the “reason for change” form found online HERE to the NPDCC.
a. Petitions MUST be received at least three (3) weeks prior to the Level 10 State Championships.
b. The NDPC will review the petition. The NDPCC will notify the coach of the acceptance/denial of the petition and will copy the respective SACC and RACC and the RTCC.
c. Accepted petitioned athletes may not re-enter the Elite/Pre-Elite Program during the Elite competitive year (through Championships of the year in which she competes Level 10).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back