Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Here’s my take. Keep in mind this is just my theory—I have no inside information on this.

Based on her past history of non-payment to previous gyms, I am guessing that she was in arrears a significant amount of what was owed to woga for training/fees/etc and woga laid down ultimatum - pay by x date or we are not taking you to meet. She thought they were bluffing (assuming her name would be important enough to them to overlook money owed) and called the bluff. They weren’t bluffing and refused to take her. She stated well then I’m leaving , but found no one else was willing to train her for publicity alone and came back to woga with what she owed (or at least a portion).
Here’s MY take. Keep in mind this is just my theory—I have no inside information on this.

One day at Woga, Nastia was visiting, and Gabby was talking smack about how she won the 2012 Olympic AA and Nastia couldn't even make the team that year. She also told Nastia that her leo line was ugly, even though she was wearing one of the leos herself that day. Long story short, it turned into a HUGE brawl — right underneath the uneven bars. At one point, Nastia started chasing Gabby around the gym with a block of chalk in her hand! When they got near one of the pits, Gabby stopped running and jumped into the pit, pulling Nastia with her. At least they were safe about it, right? Well, Valeri was yelling at them "If you're going to do this, at least point your feet", and he also said something in Russian, and Gabby yelled at him "I don't understand Russian!" And then she didn't come to the gym for a couple weeks because she wanted to take some time to use Duolingo to learn Russian. She did that, so now she's back.

If there has been financial disputes in the past, it’s not outrageous to consider the possibility that finances may be a problem again
Or maybe Valeri is a coach with an extensive history of abuse, injuries, and burn out? It blows my mind that without any context, people are automatically assigning blame to Gabby for the short term leave when Valeri is the one who really has the concerning track record.

It blows my mind that anyone is proposing theories at all. Why are we doing this???????

It's one thing to wonder, but it's another to hypothesize.
It shouldn’t. Did you know there was an entire group that left wwgym and made their own discussion group because of the hostility thrown at Gabby during the Rio run? It’s thinly veiled racism and hatred. Excuse it or be confused about it if you want to, but I see through these micro aggressions and I’m not even about to engage.

It’s quite traumatizing witnessing the hate and negativity towards this woman again, especially after all that’s been exposed as to how Black people are treated in this country since the last time she was in the public eye. It’s disturbing and exhausting.

It shouldn’t.
You know that I was speaking rhetorically, right? The whole point of my earlier two absurd stories was to satirize this nonsense.

ETA: Okay, I see you laughed at one of those posts, so you do know. Whew. LOL

If it doesn't happen in April, that is pretty much the last chance or she is done with 2024.
If she doesn't verify AA at the April camp, I will be really annoyed at how much time we've all wasted talking about this lol. The highest profile comeback ever to not even make it to competition.

If she doesn't verify AA at the April camp, I will be really annoyed at how much time we've all wasted talking about this lol. The highest profile comeback ever to not even make it to competition.
I won't. There hasn't been a lot to talk about and it was fun to dream and wonder.

I saw somewhere (can't remember where unfortunately b/c I was multi-tasking) that Gabby hasn't yet been invited to the April Camp. If that's true, wtf. Invite her already.

Only national team members got the invite early. The rest won’t get the invite until next week sometime
Whew. That's good to know she hasn't been excluded.

I feel, though, like I'm going to get my hopes up for an AA showing at April camp, and then be let down when it doesn't happen for one reason or another. I hope she does AA and gets an international assignment, but we'll see what actually materializes.

Reactions: LT2

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back