Most Frustrating Gymnast To Watch?

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

I don’t know that she would have felt forced to. It might have helped her as she seemed to do ok in team settings and i think aliya was the only other gymnast in that team that understood the position she was in (realistically vying for world/ Olympic gold) so maybe she could have learnt from her, but :man_shrugging:t3:

Some of the typical komovations we were seeing 2010 in eyof tho, bb ef

I remember watching Sam Mikulak’s level 9 floor routine and being absolutely stunned at the virtuosity – and also glad that I was level 10 myself and thus not his competitor. Every tumbling pass was perfection, like the only comparison I can think of lately is a clear NCAA 10 performance (maybe Trinity on floor), and that was certainly far from the norm for level 9 routines (or level 10 for that matter). He definitely fits the bill here.

In WAG I agree with Pavlova, Huilan, Atler… More recently Leanne Wong has had a very nerve-wrackingly spotty career with moments of brilliance, followed by disaster, back to brilliance… I was gunning for her for a while but for my own mental health have chosen to stop. 😅

Melanie DJDS was the first person I thought of. I wish she could hit her routines to full potential at a major meet.

On the other hand, a few years ago I would have said Andrade. But she has managed to be healthy and consistent the last few years.

I mean, i would argue iordache did Show her best in 2014 worlds. She was close to Simone after bb, which, really, was a feat, and other than poor showings in bb ef and not very good olympics, she did achieve quite a lot

For me the fact that even at peak, she still tanked the beam final is the frustrating part. For someone that good never to have even medalled, in a period where just staying on got you a bronze like half the time, is quite something.

Becky Downie - . perhaps stressful is more fitting than frustrating.
Kinsella - such a “which side of the bed did she get out of today?” gymnast.
So many Chinese gymnasts - special mention to Dong Fangxiao, Mo Huilan and Li Ya.
No reason at all why she shouldn’t have had silver on floor in 04 and 05
Hard agree. However those years of frustration did lead to the glorious FX EF upgrade moment in 2006. Exploding out of my seat when she did that remains one of my favourite gymnastics memories. It’s rare that I’ve been so sure of a result.

Last edited:
I think Grace McCallum was so frustrating to watch. Kind of an opposite answer from most, but i found her gymnastics so predictable and boring, and always with those flexed feet, and she always managed to sneak onto major teams in that “safe but reliable” spot… I just found absolutely nothing interesting or enjoyable about her elite routines (I think she’s come into her own some in NCAA), and it always drove me nuts she would edge other people out for spots.

Flavia Saraiva.
Yao Jinnan. Even her successes were frustrating. (By the time she finally won UB gold in 2015, she was so injured and overtrained that I actually felt sad watching her.)

Well, this is the other side to the coin isn’t it? For those frustrating gymnasts who do have a perfect moment in the sun, it’s all the sweeter when it was a long time coming. If Yang Bo had hit in the other major finals, her world cup title wouldn’t be so perfect.

Obviously this only works when they did actually get their shit together at some point.

48.png
ArnoldRimmer:
Obviously this only works when they did actually get their shit together at some point.
Based on this thread, MJDS winning an AA medal in Paris would make a lot of people very happy.
Or any medal, really, but AA would be especially nice.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back