FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it a sign of the ongoing bullying of Barbosu or just a recognition that honestly, Voinea has the better case here, unless they can make them reconsider Chiles' routine again. There was a genuine judging error in Voinea's routine that would have given her bronze even with Chiles' accepted inquiry.

Or maybe it's both refusal to support Barbosu and Voinea coincidentally having the stronger case.

What are the potential implications?
My guess is that they will admit they made an error and ask the IOC to let them award a second bronze. They won't want to "punish" Jordan (hopefully they learned that lesson in 2004) but will kick it to the IOC to make it right. Then they can blame the IOC if they refuse or take credit if it is allowed. The IOC probably won't punish FIG unless there is evidence of corruption.

Reading the online comments, many of the Romanian fans are advocating for their gymnasts to get 2nd AND 3rd. Because, you know, Simone clearly went out of bounds twice. Apparently, the difficulty doesn’t matter. I think some people are still living in 1976.

If they think there was a backlash from Romania, wait for the backlash from Black America (and perhaps much of the Black diaspora) if they attempt to alter the first all Black podium. The backlash will be epic.

I wish that Nadia would care about the mental health of athletes like Simone and Jordan as much as she cares for Sabrina and claims she cares for Ana. Protest the process, not harm the innocent participants. It makes me sad, because I super looked up to her as a kid even though I was born after her Olympics era, and she's coming off as very biased in her approach.

I wish that Nadia would care about the mental health of athletes like Simone and Jordan as much as she cares for Sabrina and claims she cares for Ana. Protest the process, not harm the innocent participants. It makes me sad, because I super looked up to her as a kid even though I was born after her Olympics era, and she's coming off as very biased in her approach.
Did Comaneci even stand up for Barbosu and other Romanian girls (all teenagers) when the Voinea clan bullied them last year? I know she sent Barbosu a gift (grips with a personal note), but other than that, she remained quiet IIRC.
Someone should remind her that this kind of long-term bullying affects mental health much worse than an one-time heartbreak and confusion (and whoever caused the confusion/Barbosu celebrating too early should publicly apologize to Ana, but that's it).

How is Nadia asking to have the FIG reevaluate the OOB deduction on Sabrina's routine harming Simone or Jordan?

She didn't ask for them to look at Jordan's routine, she didn't ask them to discredit the Gogean, she hasn't said anything about Jordan at all.

What on earth does Simone even have to do with any of this?? A handful of random nobodies on the internet saying she shouldn't have been 2nd has nothing to do with anything Nadia said or did. Sabrina's routine was wrongly deducted -.1 for an OOB that never happened. Romania has every right to fight that, just as USAG would do if it happened to one of their athletes.

Nadia has always been supportive of the Deva girls. She has nothing to do with the situation of people attacking Ana or them. She's not asking them to look at Ana's routine because there was no mistake made with that routine. There's nothing to ask for. There's really no solution for what happened with Ana, but she never would have been in that position in the first place if they didn't put the -.1 ND on Sabrina's routine.

Jordan has nothing to do with it, most people I've read have been calling for a 2nd bronze to be issued to Sabrina, not for anything to be taken from Jordan. If Nadia or Romanian federation never said anything and just didn't support either of their athletes, the exact same thing would still be happening online because everyone has eyes and saw what happened themselves. The second NBC zoomed in on her foot with the different angle it was clear the podium was wrong.

Nadia isn't even supporting Barbosu
She was saying mental health for Barbosu.

Im understand Barbosu was hurt and rightfully so. But Barbosu went on the podium before Chiles inquiry was reviewed.

In this situation the coaches should have urged her to wait until it was finalized.
However, if the announcer announced her as bronze medalist that is an issue with the announcer not waiting.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-08-07 at 10.20.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-08-07 at 10.20.39 PM.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 16
How is Nadia asking to have the FIG reevaluate the OOB deduction on Sabrina's routine harming Simone or Jordan?

She didn't ask for them to look at Jordan's routine, she didn't ask them to discredit the Gogean, she hasn't said anything about Jordan at all.

What on earth does Simone even have to do with any of this?? A handful of random nobodies on the internet saying she shouldn't have been 2nd has nothing to do with anything Nadia said or did. Sabrina's routine was wrongly deducted -.1 for an OOB that never happened. Romania has every right to fight that, just as USAG would do if it happened to one of their athletes.

Nadia has always been supportive of the Deva girls. She has nothing to do with the situation of people attacking Ana or them. She's not asking them to look at Ana's routine because there was no mistake made with that routine. There's nothing to ask for. There's really no solution for what happened with Ana, but she never would have been in that position in the first place if they didn't put the -.1 ND on Sabrina's routine.

Jordan has nothing to do with it, most people I've read have been calling for a 2nd bronze to be issued to Sabrina, not for anything to be taken from Jordan. If Nadia or Romanian federation never said anything and just didn't support either of their athletes, the exact same thing would still be happening online because everyone has eyes and saw what happened themselves. The second NBC zoomed in on her foot with the different angle it was clear the podium was wrong.
It's not that part that's the problem. She should ask them to fix this from happening again.

It's the rest of how she's going about this that isn't good. You can support gymnasts without also going on about the Americans' performance. It's the judges' performance and the FIG decisions that contributed that are the problem.

As for Simone, if they are indeed saying that Sabrina and Ana should have silver and gold because of the OOBs, that's where she comes in. Now, I can't read Romanian and Google translate is leaving some to be desired, and some of what I've heard about what Nadia said is rather third/fourth/fifth hand so if I am getting bad info on what came from Nadia and what from others, good.

I do agree a second bronze would be the best solution. Or, frankly, a second and third bronze.

Jordan will keep her bronze. They would award Sarbina her own bronze.

In 1992 synchronized swimming in the solo event.
The USA's Kristen Babb-Sprague was awarded the gold and Sylvie Frechette was awarded silver.
Afterwards it was discovered that a judgbe incorrectly entered 8.7 for Frechette instead of 9.7. This would have reversed the medals.
However, Babb-Sprague kept her gold and Frechette was also awarded a gold.
They didn't change the actual results, but kept them the same.
Screen Shot 2024-08-07 at 10.29.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-08-07 at 10.30.24 PM.png

Did Jordan watch the other routines?
I am in no position to know that. But I’m absolutely certain she has heard about the mess. If I were her I would watch the videos and I’d feel bad. She was given a medal and there’s doubt if she really was entitled to it which isn’t a good spot to be in. Being forever marked down as having a medal with an asterisk attached would suck.

Jordan is receiving negative attention for something that isn’t her fault.

Paywall removed: https://wapo.st/4dklNw0

The only thing I can see that would make matters right is a bronze being issued to Voinea.

Last edited:
However, if ND can be inquired and Romanians only inquired whatever caused lower D score (and the inquiry was ?rightfully? rejected), then CAS can just say, sorry, you could and should have inquired that ND on time, nothing we can do now.
ETA: and honestly, I don't understand why they didn't. We all were baffled about that -0.1 ND and speculated what was it as soon as Voinea's score flashed.
Unless, of course, they DID inquiry that ND and it was rejected (and in that case, whoever made that decision should be banned from gymnastic events forever).

Last edited:
Nadia has always been supportive of the Deva girls. She has nothing to do with the situation of people attacking Ana or them.
I know she has and had nothing to do with the Voinea bullies. But did she even speak up defending the Deva girls? Or did she just silently (and "supportively") send the grips and that was it?
I remember Ana Barbosu being bullied by a journalist from the Voinea clan during Worlds '23 . Did Comaneci even say anything about it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back