FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barbosu was also wronged by giving credit for an element that wasn’t complete.

I believe I read somewhere the Romanian government is going to pay them like bronze medalists. 60k euros.
Well, if they can't get the FIG or IOC to make them whole, at least their government is stepping up to the plate. Maybe they both will come back stronger for the next Olympics and bring home a pile of medals in revenge/redemption. (but not AA gold, I'm holding out for Shi to get that one)

Voinea, as much of a sloppy mess as she is, EARNED that bronze.

Unquestionably.

FIG should fix the error. Or they should be relieved of duty as the governing federation.

But they both can’t have been robbed of the bronze right? Give Voinea back the tenth and she’s bronze. Take the tenth back from Chiles and it’s Ana. Do both and it’s Voinea.

Right. Voinea should have just been in 3rd the whole time.

Barbosu was screwed when they listed her on the scoreboard as 3rd and then announced her in the arena as being the bronze medalist. She went up with the flag to celebrate, Chiles' score was changed, and she was dropped back out of the medals. She was emotionally robbed.

Romania is arguing for both of them and giving both the prize money/rewards/etc. to avoid not supporting one gymnast over the other, but Voinea is the one with the valid case for being robbed of the medal, because she never went OOB. She scored higher than Chiles with or without crediting the Gogean.

Her heel did not go out before the DLO.

View attachment 11009
This is a much better view than I had of it, thank you (I avoided NBC primetime because I'd already suffered through Laurie on a lack of sleep).

In that case, I have her at 13.8.

Maybe this mess will get them to rethink seating judges in anywhere other than the optimal spot to see the routines and skills, including putting line judges back on the level of the floor.

Romania is arguing for both of them and giving both the prize money/rewards/etc. to avoid not supporting one gymnast over the other, but Voinea is the one with the valid case for being robbed of the medal, because she never went OOB.
They both have a valid case for a medal. Voinea's OOB could be argued as a field of play call that was impacted by viewing angle available.

Whereas the wrong call on Jordan's Gogean was simply wrong no matter what the angle. In which case, Barbosu is the Bronze medalist.

Personally, Voinea was overscored and shouldn't be in the conversation anyway, and Jordan should have been .1 less on execution than Barbosu (including Barbosu's OOB), so the call on the Gogean shouldn't matter.

Maybe this mess will get them to rethink seating judges in anywhere other than the optimal spot to see the routines and skills, including putting line judges back on the level of the floor.
Video review from multiple angles should be available for these calls, and E-judges should have video review as well.

They both have a valid case for a medal. Voinea's OOB could be argued as a field of play call that was impacted by viewing angle available.

Whereas the wrong call on Jordan's Gogean was simply wrong no matter what the angle. In which case, Barbosu is the Bronze medalist.

Personally, Voinea was overscored and shouldn't be in the conversation anyway, and Jordan should have been .1 less on execution than Barbosu (including Barbosu's OOB), so the call on the Gogean shouldn't matter.

Video review from multiple angles should be available for these calls, and E-judges should have video review as well.
Line judges wouldn't need video review if they are seated properly, though I would not be opposed to it if it would stop this mess.

"Proper" seating doesn't give a definitive judgement, you're still restricted to seeing a single angle as a human, from a further distance than a zoomed-in camera can see. Multiple viewings should be inherent to the judging process anyway, things happen fast, there needs to be clarity. Not only to reduce natural human error, but because something can literally get in a judge's eye at a given moment.

Wasn't it Kara Eaker beam at WC '19? Or a FX s..t happened there too?

Yes, Eaker's beam D score was lowered following an inquiry at 2019 Worlds.

At 2006 Worlds, Sacramone lost the dance passage requirement on floor during the inquiry review to protest her A score(A score was the difficulty score terminology at the time). She actually initially received credit for fulfilling the requirement.

NBC (I believe) published the close-up video of Voinea's turn before her second pass, and and from that video it was VERY OBVIOUS there was NO OOB.
Where did this video come from? I suppose there are many cameras filming from different angles, surely all corners are covered and the judges could just review the videos when in doubt? We were all confused about the -0.1 ND as no one saw any OOB from Voinea. How come no one from the judges even pointed it out, asked, reviewed (and that I would expect to be done BEFORE Voinea's score was even finalized/flashed).

Line judges wouldn't need video review if they are seated properly, though I would not be opposed to it if it would stop this mess.
Exactly, AND changing the floor to an 64 foot by 25 foot format would:
• drastically cut down the number out of bounds "errors" — no corners, and 8 extra feet
• make it easier for the line judges to see the whole line
• make calls more about stepping over a line than into a corner — easier to judge

E-score problems, we'll have to take I'm afraid.

Btw just read that the d panel is actually in charge of making sure the nd deductions are taken. So even more of a reason for them to have looked at that
So if it is D, and not E, does it mean the Romanian delegation failed to file an appropriate inquiry when they saw the ND?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back