FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
And perhaps Andrade could have joined the inquiry party, too. She might have gone up multiple tenths!
certainly the memmel was borderline. although I think it looks worse on a replay than in real time. she hid it well

The helpdesk language that @onodian posted is still terrible, because it only mentions inquiring about time or OOB deductions, there's nothing about a categorical "ND" inquiry. And then, when a gymnast receives marks in the ND category, it remains a mystery because how are we supposed to know what the hell it's actually for when they don't specify? Hell, maybe with the way the terrible line judging was going Simone actually got -0.3 for OOB and another -0.3 for her cheeky salute.

But speaking of Simone, I am surprised it took 67 pages of discussion to get to the part where we talk about how a Biles inquiry likely would have changed her to a gold as well. She was on a roll getting credits for all her elements at this Olympics -- her Gogean has been notably improved since worlds where she was getting 1 tenth less than expected on every floor routine - so I tend to think if any gymnast has a creditable Gogean, it's Simone. I also think her E score was harsher than expected given the odd circumstances of her landings -- her landings were not actually out of control by her standards. She was simply tumbling farther, which I took to be a sign that she was overcompensating for her late-meet endurance or calf issues. She landed normally, just... out of bounds. So I feel like she was getting doubly penalized with -0.6 ND and that lower than usual 7.9 e score. Not saying this is the result I want - ~vibes-check~ judging alone, I'd keep Andrade in the top spot, but I think unless the judges decided to finally start attempting to use their worthless artistry checklist at the last minute to Simone's detriment, I think she probably actually should've scored higher per @Doug1233 's latest post.

over on reddit (ahahahaha, I went for the extra drama) the argument being that if the time has to be pieced together from videos and there is no official doing the actual timekeeping then clearly the time is not important to FIG and the rule is only a guideline. If it were important (like the length of a period in basektball), there wouldn't be all this argument and counterargument, it would just be known. Which is an interesting take. Since they do have someone as a timekeeper for the duration of the routine (well, it was a person with a bell at US Trials, I don't know about the Os, maybe it is computer generated there), if the review time was equally important they would have someone keeping the time.
This argument actually makes some sense to me. Do I have internet brain?

The technical regulations state the judge getting the inquiry is supposed to record the time he gets it. So, in that sense, they did put a process in place.

I'm adding the inquiry form for euros, purely cause there is a spot where the time of verbal and written inquiry gets logged and I guess it would be the same in every competition. There is no specific nd inquiry option

Eta: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://backend.europeangymnastics.com/sites/default/files/paragraph/document/Appendix%209%20-%20Inquiry%20Form.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiLo42H6-6HAxU3gP0HHepYAakQFnoECBQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1AT7UAK6vif5iFZF6ObRU4

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back