FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know she has and had nothing to do with the Voinea bullies. But did she even speak up defending the Deva girls? Or did she just silently (and "supportively") send the grips and that was it?
I remember Ana Barbosu being bullied by a journalist from the Voinea clan during Worlds '23 . Did Comaneci even say anything about it?

I don't know what she's communicating with people privately but she publicly visited the Deva gym and took pictures with the team supporting them. That was published in Romanian news so everyone would know she supports the team.

Like with this situation, publicly she just posted three tweets about it (and three FB reels saying the same thing as the tweets.) Privately she was sending videos to and personally petitioning the president of the FIG to look into the situation.

I don't know how much sway she would have over the Team Voinea crowd. They're not her generation, she lives in Oklahoma, and they are crazy people. But her being in the news supporting the whole team gets the general public behind them.

nadia.png

Of course Comaneci supports Team Romania. And of course at this point it's about Voinea's ND, as it should be. Nothing wrong about it.
But I have feeling she doesn't want to be involved in any drama. Which I understand, but Barbosu is only 18 and I fear she's alone in it.
Comaneci is the GOAT of Romanian gymnastics (Voinea sr. is a zero compared to her) and regardless where she lives, she could have an impact if she gets involved/speaks up about this unfortunate situation.
Barbosu almost gave up gymnastics because of all the bullying already, and I don't want to lose her.

Of course Comaneci supports Team Romania. And of course at this point it's about Voinea's ND, as it should be. Nothing wrong about it.
But I have feeling she doesn't want to be involved in any drama. Which I understand, but Barbosu is only 18 and I fear she's alone in it.
Comaneci is the GOAT of Romanian gymnastics (Voinea sr. is a zero compared to her) and regardless where she lives, she could have an impact if she gets involved/speaks up about this unfortunate situation.
Barbosu almost gave up gymnastics because of all the bullying already, and I don't want to lose her.
What would make you think Comaneci doesn’t like drama?

What would make you think Comaneci doesn’t like drama?
She seems to me as a quiet, shy person. I think she supported/was friend with Moceanu, yet she never spoke against Karolyis (who I believe helped her when she came to the US).
Of course I might be wrong, but that's my impression of her.

She does have the support of the Romanian Gymnastics Federation. They have been fully behind her and the Deva team.

What did Silivas do? Curious since she lives in Georgia. Thanks

She goes off on FB dragging the team. She is friends with Camelia Voinea and Alina Alexoi (the reporter who attacked Barbosu at Worlds.) When they qualified a full team at Worlds last year Silivas went off saying they just got lucky because other teams faltered, their win was a fluke, and they were only going to the Olympics to participate.

alexoi silivas.png

^ at 2023 Worlds

Last edited:
Why are we making this about Nadia? Of course she was going to use her power to help a Romanian athlete that needs help no question about it. Is that surprising?

This is about a bronze medal that belongs to Voinea because she got a deduction for something that never happened. I'm not even a fan of hers, but she deserves a second bronze.

Ana seems very level-headed and I hope what happened gives her the fire to become even better next year. Her FX was the highlight of the event finals for me.

I mean not to be an ass, but she deserves THE bronze, not another bronze (also not a particular fan of hers here). That the best case is she'll get another one is, imo, a multiple failure of the sport, but sure, let's. All the rhinestones were already bringing us closer to figure skating anyways, might as well make it official by having these kinds of shit judging issues

If they think there was a backlash from Romania, wait for the backlash from Black America (and perhaps much of the Black diaspora) if they attempt to alter the first all Black podium. The backlash will be epic.
But if there was a mistake and Sabrina should have been in bronze, it wasn’t actually the first all Black athlete podium ?

I mean not to be an ass, but she deserves THE bronze, not another bronze (also not a particular fan of hers here). That the best case is she'll get another one is, imo, a multiple failure of the sport, but sure, let's. All the rhinestones were already bringing us closer to figure skating anyways, might as well make it official by having these kinds of shit judging issues
Well, without access to a time machine, what exactly is the right solution then? The problem already exists and the way the rules are written, the medalists are chosen. Unless you can prove nefarious doings and strip an athlete of their medal, you don’t take away someone's medal because of a clerical error. As far as I know, no sport anywhere does that if it isn't discovered/addressed immediately.

It is really difficult to say whether this is an FIG or Romania problem until we know exactly what Romania appealed. Did they inquire on the ND? Or was their inquiry into Sabrina's 0.3 drop in D score?

If Romania only found out about the oob issue after watching slo-mo replays after the event then they cannot appeal that with the benefit of hindsight.

As a codicil to my other post, I do think Jordan could get a LOT of mileage/attention/sponsorship if she did give the medal to Sabrina. People like fairplay and sacrifice nearly as much as they like winners. She would get featured in all those articles about olympic controversies and the Olympic spirit for the next 30 years if her team goes about it right. There is also that olympic spirit medal that they don't usually give out that she could have a chance to get.

As a codicil to my other post, I do think Jordan could get a LOT of mileage/attention/sponsorship if she did give the medal to Sabrina. People like fairplay and sacrifice nearly as much as they like winners. She would get featured in all those articles about olympic controversies and the Olympic spirit for the next 30 years if her team goes about it right. There is also that olympic spirit medal that they don't usually give out that she could have a chance to get.
Wtf are you crazy?!

But if there was a mistake and Sabrina should have been in bronze, it wasn’t actually the first all Black athlete podium ?
That is your belief, not mine, and more importantly, not the judges on that day. Sports, specifically gymnastics, have always been subjective.

There are policies in place about appeals. Follow the appeal policies that were in place the day of the competition, and if they should be different, change them for the future. Don't alter your appeal policies and apply them retroactively to appease the sense of entitlement of one particular gymnast or delegation at one particular event.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back