D and E Panel Analysis - WAG EF

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

The D-panel on floor was very lenient throughout the Games. I’m glad Ferrari finally got a medal, but crediting her with the eponymous skill is indefensible per the rulebook and against the standard held for Eaker.

At least Melnikova’s turns you can squint and credit.

Yeah, the fact that there’s a discussion to be had about Melnikova tells you something. It’s clear enough what happened there. Not so much with the Ferrari, or Jordan’s popa.

I’d agree the Memmel attempt from Andrade was at least suspect in real time as well.

You can’t turn on two feet. So surely the turn starts when her free leg comes off the floor… But surely you can only start counting the double turn (B) when she lifts the free leg?
Here’s Marianela Núñez with the Royal Ballet. In a turn en dehors, there will be some rotation before the foot totally leaves the ground. As the turn begins, the heel leaves the ground first, followed by the ball of the foot, and finally the big and adjacent toe. In the second image here, Núñez’s big and adjacent toe are just about to leave the floor, and as you can see she has already begun turning.
Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 4.11.49 PM

Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 4.12.14 PM

The WTC also doesn’t specify that a turn en dehors should close behind the supporting leg, so per the CoP it’s perfectly acceptable that Melnikova closes in front; the turn is concluded when the supporting leg’s heel drops.

Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 5.52.26 PM

Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 5.52.14 PM

You’re harping on how a turn is actually technically accomplished.

Ok fair enough. I’m certainly no turn expert! I had just assumed you couldn’t turn on both feet but the code didn’t say that. It was my assumption.

But - it WAS short. Just because other skills were shorter doesn’t change the analysis here.

I’m pretty sure the Gadirova girls got D Panel’ed to death on floor and on beam. To the extent that Jessica even lost her dance EGR in one of her beams. They were REALLY harsh if you weren’t a big name (Andrade) or have a top Leo (RUS and USA).

Last edited:
Gymnaverse AA and EF medalists:

AA

Gold - Suni 57.733
Silver - Rebeca 57.567
Bronze - Urazova 57.233
4th - Melnikoa 56.433
5th - Murakami 56.05
6th - Nina 55.8

:vt:

Gold - Rebecca 15.075
Silver - Moreno 14.775
Bronze - Yeo 14.775
4th - Skinner 14.775 (tie broken on execution)

:ub:

Gold - Nina 14.95
Silver - Illiankova 14.75
Bronze - Lu 14.1
4th - Suni 13.95

🇧🇧

Gold - GCC 14.6
Silver - Tang 14.35
Bronze - Ashikawa 14.05
4th - Simone 14.0

:fx:

Gold - Jade 14.2
Silver - Murakami 14.1
Bronze - Garidova 14.05
4th - Rebeca 14.05
5th - Melnikova 14.05 (tiebreak on execution)
6th - Ferrari 13.9 (due to Memmel and Gogean not being credited)

Last edited:
Most of those seem fair and reasonable. A bronze for Ashikawa at home would have been nice although I really liked Simone getting a medal on beam. (but that’s just my emotional bias making decisions.)

And a difference of .05 definitely means I don’t mind the order being swapped. 😉 though I was glad Ashikawa was able to get into the EF if I couldn’t have Iordache.

This got 9.35 E.

Gymnaverse gave 9.1 to 8.9, with a 9.0 E final score.

Obviously, on vault, there’s a HUGE difference between a 9.0 and a 9.35 DTY.

That means at least 2 USAG judges gave this a 9.4E. With a 0.3 step. So 3 tenths on the table and in the air. I’m baffled.

What do we think this would have got in Tokyo?

Last edited:
Does anyone else have contacts at the FIG who we could ask?

Maybe they’re only giving the book to Brevets?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back