D and E Panel Analysis - WAG EF

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I haven’t judged much lately (whee, world and life stuff), but I feel like scripting is much more of a challenge to learn than to actually do. Once you’ve got a bit of practice with it you just kind of do it, it’s quicker than other methods and helps you keep track of where you took deductions.

Yes! I guess like learning any language, the learning is harder than doing it once learnt.

I suppose my point would be that it isn’t particularly needed if you’re ONLY an E Panel judge. You don’t really need to go back and adjust your E Score at the end of the routine. In fact, I think it would be bad form to do so - as the remainder of the routine might subconsciously interfere with your prior evaluation.

I totally get, though, that no one learns judging to ONLY be an E Panel judge. So my point is moot.

I still have not done all of event finals. My hope is that I would NOT be “Excellent”. LOL.

You got 93.8% on floor.

I thought the Olympic judging was excellent.

I’m sure all our percentages would dip if I did the same exercise with Worlds.

Last edited:
You have to remember that most Olympic routines are fairly easy to judge because they contain skills with fairly good technique and only one error. The routines shown at the exams are far more varied with a lot more opportunities to mess up. Although, IMO, the E score portion is far easier than D. D can be super tricky with problematic skills and connnections combined with less than ideal videos (not so much quality but perspective or dark backdrops).

You have to remember that most Olympic routines are fairly easy to judge because they contain skills with fairly good technique and only one error. The routines shown at the exams are far more varied with a lot more opportunities to mess up. Although, IMO, the E score portion is far easier than D. D can be super tricky with problematic skills and connnections combined with less than ideal videos (not so much quality but perspective or dark backdrops).
Yes, please don’t think from my earlier post that I was saying the Brevet exam is easy. It’s far easier to judge the top routines in the World, which we are all familiar with and where we all kinda know what we are looking out for in advance.

Out of interest - when doing the E portion of the exam, do you still need to hand in your script? Presumably they should only ask you for your E Score (and A portion)?

And re: the D portion, when I purchased access to the judges education website, there were many D panel calls that I really disagreed with. Some of the connections can, I guess, be subjective. But also some of them were just, IMO, objectively wrong. And directly conflicted with examples of the exact same nature found in the Help Desk (and even on other portions of the same judges website).

I think we can all agree that the wobble at 1:20 was a clear 0.5. Without this, she would have been at a 14.366 and an easy Silver ahead of Tang. Biles in 4th. Lazy steps on the dismount too, but I don’t think it would have beaten GCC for gold.

Suni had 3 tenths on Simone’s D. It really shows that Simone’s routine really was built around that dismount.

Last edited:
Yikes that dismount is absolutely atrocious. Filatova was doing BHS + BHS + double pike in 77 before the beam had any springs…

I suppose I have always judged in scenarios wherein I was also calculating the difficulty, but there are times where it still helps even if I am just doing execution. For instance, toe point throughout a routine (not sure if they do the throughout the routine in the current code). Occasionally I would waffle on a deduction until I was tallying the routine total, as well, and it helped to mark where that occurred. And it’s obviously needed for grading judging exams and accountability. I guess I am just so used to the shorthand that I can’t imagine not doing it.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back