D and E Panel Analysis - WAG EF

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yes. These are called “routines” for a reason; they are meant to be constructed and evaluated as a wholistic presentation. If you open with an F/G/H, you don’t need 4 F+ tumbling lines. However, a C skill on its own shows a lack of mastery at this level.

I have a bigger beef with routines that are essentially 4 Double Back variations / progressions. The fact you can milk a Moors with a Silivas, Chuso, and Full-In is gross; even worse is Silivas, Full-In, Double Pike, Double Tuck. Those routines lack 1) balance between double saltos and twisting; 2) mastery of forward + backward saltos; 3) precision via connections.

“Composition” needs to be addressed, if not through an Artistic Panel, then better CV/SB incentives, stricter limits, requirements, and deductions.

DV Limits
-Double back is considered the same element whether Tuck or Pike.
-Maximum of 2 double saltos per direction / 3 double saltos per routine.
-Maximum of 2 dance skills per shape.

EGR + CR Requirements
CR needs to be broken into EGR (need to count for DV) and CR (different value for each event), allowing FX to be reduced to 6 counting elements (2 dance, 4 acro).

EGR1: Mount salto
EGR2: Double salto
EGR3: Salto with 360 (min) LA turn
EGR4: Leap, hop, or jump with 180 cross-split
EGR5: Dismount salto

CR1: Dance series of 3 elements (1st being a leap, hop, or turn) = 0.4
CR2: Mixed series of 3 elements = 0.4
CR3: Acro series of 2 different saltos in 1 tumbling line = 0.4
CR4: 2 different tumbling lines = 0.8
CR5: Dismount ‘D’ or higher = 0.5 (‘C’ = 0.3)
^ CR1 and CR2 may not count for DV.

DV Scale
A, B = 0.0
C = 0.1 - 0.2 (Front Full, Back 1.5 = 0.1; Front 1.5, Back 2/1 = 0.2)
D = 0.3 - 0.4 (2.5 Twist, Double Back = 0.3; Front 2/1 = 0.4)
E = 0.5 (Full-In, Double Front, ADF, Back 3/1)
F = 0.6 (Randi, DLO, ADP, Front Double Pike)
G = 0.7 (DLO 1/2, Podkopayeva, Back 3.5, ADP 1/2)
H = 0.8 (Silivas, DLO 1/1)
I = 0.9 (Moors, Dos Santos II)
J = 1.0 (Biles II)

I realize you aren’t being 100% serious, but imagine BB without Mixed or Dance CV? 2001 - 2012 was bad enough, and while I’d prefer Mixed/Dance SB to go away, I think the formulas are almost finally back to where they need to be. Even so, we still see: orphan Aerial Cartwheel, Front Aerial, Side Somi, Turn, Leap, Dismount, with Acro and Jump Series.

Just because there are ridiculous, burdensome guidelines in place, we shouldn’t hack away at important parts of the sport. This same “logic” was used to remove subjective scoring / artistic evaluation. There ARE ways to logically reward artistry and connections without needing a protractor (lol!), etc.

1997 - 2005, you could be 1/4 short on twists / turns and still receive credit for the attemp; 1 year later (through present), you can’t be 9/10000 short or else you’ll A) lose DV (more if CR, etc. are involved), B) incur E Panel massacre. This is a major change in philosophy, and nonsensical.
  1. Credit the skill that was ATTEMPTED, regardless of execution; or, at the very least, allow up to 1/4 before having it impact DV.
  2. If a skill IS downgraded or changed, real-time communication is possible (done in figure skating) and would eliminate being penalized by both panels for 1 mistake.
  3. Release the real-time calls within 24 hours (again, done in FS).

Yeah, very disappointing. No individual judge breakdowns nor any distinction of E-panel deductions vs. artistry.

Last edited:
Didn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know. Grrrrr.

Why on earth did they feel like we needed endless lists of start orders? We want the score breakdowns with individual judges scores!

This is literally just a collection of the PDF docs that were up on the Olympics.com site. No new info at all. This was all posted no later than the day of the competitions.

Why on earth did they feel like we needed endless lists of start orders?
Yeah, what use is a start list after the meet is over? Maybe they thought we’d tire ourselves out scrolling through them and give up before noticing they didn’t put anything of substance in the document lmao

There is no way. They did it for Rio. And it wasn’t instant.

I’m hoping there is just a wait…

I’ve emailed the FIG. Maybe if enough of us do it, they’ll release it?

Does someone personally know Spencer from BBS? I’m sure he will want to see it too.

I feel like we got something similar for Rio and then the detailed breakdowns came much later.

I feel like we got something similar for Rio and then the detailed breakdowns came much later.
Yes. I can’t remember when it was ultimately posted. And where it was posted. I don’t recall it being a big announcement - FIG likes to bury shit like this in the bowels of its website.

Last edited:
He doesn’t check his comments section, but you can hit him up on Twitter and either comment to a post or DM here there.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back