2024 NCAA Nationals: Semi Finals (4/18/24) and Final Four on the Floor (4/20/24)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

What do you mean buy a trophy? They recruit well. I think saying that just takes away from their hard work. It's for sure not a sure thing they will win.

Any of 4 teams could easily win tomorrow depending on how it goes. I hope it's LSU or Cal. LSU has been so close before and I'd love to see them pull it off.
Because they have a roster of 10 seniors and super seniors to go along with their normal roster, so while LSU is a popular SEC school, all those seniors and large roster numbers are bought and paid for by NIL money. Take Savs or Kiya out of the line-up and they certainly would not had the same results as they are having now.
I'm not saying they don't work hard and don't do amazing gymnastics, and as witnessed by yesterday, you still have to go out and perform, but to ignore the reality of how their roster was composed is naive and overlooking the truth.

Because they have a roster of 10 seniors and super seniors to go along with their normal roster, so while LSU is a popular SEC school, all those seniors and large roster numbers are bought and paid for by NIL money. Take Savs or Kiya out of the line-up and they certainly would not had the same results as they are having now.
I'm not saying they don't work hard and don't do amazing gymnastics, and as witnessed by yesterday, you still have to go out and perform, but to ignore the reality of how their roster was composed is naive and overlooking the truth.
Recruitment has never been a level playing field. NIL has changed everything, but it’s changed for all schools, and brings more opportunities for everyone. It used to be that Georgia had the upper hand when it came to recruiting. Jay Clark has always been a strong recruiter, and Suzanne was a very good fundraiser. Jay is now in the advantageous position where he can capitalise on his recruiting strengths (whilst complaining that he dislikes the portal). Being able to get Konnor as a walk on, after already allocating all your available scholarships is a good example of this. But the landscape has changed for everyone.

Here were KJ's thoughts after the meet last night. I thought it was a good listen:

I love how empathetic KJ was with them. It was obvious that both Jordan Bowers and Kat LeVasseur were going for the sticks and they usually do. I also heard numerous people say that OU stuck every vault in warm-up and felt like they were too set on sticking. I'm really surprised one of the coaches didn't say something to them though after Faith sat her vault down or even after Jordan's near-sitdown to emphasize to not go for the stick.

Recruitment has never been a level playing field. NIL has changed everything, but it’s changed for all schools, and brings more opportunities for everyone. It used to be that Georgia had the upper hand when it came to recruiting. Jay Clark has always been a strong recruiter, and Suzanne was a very good fundraiser. Jay is now in the advantageous position where he can capitalise on his recruiting strengths (whilst complaining that he dislikes the portal). Being able to get Konnor as a walk on, after already allocating all your available scholarships is a good example of this. But the landscape has changed for everyone.
Absolutely, but we all know what NIL is, it is pay-to-play. So the most extreme example of that is LSU. And while; the same rules apply to everyone, the way they are available to be used is not the same for everyone. About the only schools that can compensate like LSU are the other SEC schools. Cal, and Utah don't have access to that level of NIL money. Perfectly legal, and I guess you have to tip your hat to Jay for utilizing everything at his disposal. But it is what it is, they would not have this roster if not for liberal use of NIL money, regardless of how well a recruiter Jay is.

I think I would be happy with any of them winning, but happiest with Cal and LSU.

Cal is my sentimental favorite for many reasons, and it is truly impressive what they've been able to do with the resources they have. Their training facility is honestly pretty crappy even for a club gym, much less a top-tier NCAA program.

LSU looks great this year, in my opinion. The beginning of their bar lineup leaves something to be desired but on the other 3 events they really are incredible. I think a victory from them would be well-deserved.

Florida I have liked in the past. This year, I just find them uninspiring - except Anya Pilgrim and Leanne Wong. But they're a great team.

Utah I really do not care for in general, and I have never understood why they get the scores they do, especially on bars. But it would be nice for them to get a title as soon as Tom Farden leaves haha.

I just really hope that tomorrow is exciting for the right reasons -- I hope all the teams are at their best and it comes down to the last event.

Konnor McClain this season, too. Because she deferred initially, there was no scholarship for her. Would she have made the decision to leave elite and go to LSU this season if there wasn't all the NIL money?

Hate the game, not the player and all that, but....

Screw Jay Clark. What a fucking regressive, self-righteous asshole. I cannot root for LSU as long as he is there, regardless of the NIL money situation.

Tokyo was no doubt awful for Simone and I'm glad she seems to be in a better place now. But I got the idea that she spent a lot of time on social media during the Olympics, arguing with comments. Granted, some of them were pretty nasty. But spending time on socials picking fights with people wasn't great for her emotional state. I honestly couldn't figure out why she was doing it.
Allow me to once again to get on my soapbox about how Simone was utterly failed by all the highly paid professionals she hired leading up to Tokyo. Why her PR team didn't step in and get her off social media is beyond me.

Last edited:
Screw Jay Clark. What a fucking regressive, self-righteous asshole. I cannot root for LSU as long as he is there, regardless of the NIL money situation.
This. I have no real opinions about LSU, but I don’t want Jay Clark to win. Unfortunately I think they are going to barring a major disaster tomorrow. I think the only team that could have stopped them was Oklahoma, and we know how that turned out.

ABC is broadcasting and it begins at 4:00 PM EST

I hope I can get home in time to watch the last couple of rotations. If not, I am going to try to stay unspoiled until I watch.

I saw Perea training a standing full on beam on Cal's Instagram story during training Wednesday. I hope she throws it today in her last beam routine ever.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back