2024 NCAA Nationals: Semi Finals (4/18/24) and Final Four on the Floor (4/20/24)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Wow, just wow. I guess its LSU's turn to show you can buy a trophy. I really didn't want LSU to win this way, I would have been happy if they went up against OU and did it. But OU didn't want to participate. Now I am sure the gymnastics gods are going to give us a straight forward final, with LSU winning, Cal just a fraction behind, and UF/Utah a fraction behind that. We can only hope for a different outcome.

Honestly, I don't get all the hostility the poster is getting. How is it different than all the fall and fail videos on YouTube that get millions of views?
Listening to Simone’s latest interview, it’s clear that Tokyo was an extremely traumatic experience for her. I don’t have any issue with her having a problem with the footage being used in this way.

Listening to Simone’s latest interview, it’s clear that Tokyo was an extremely traumatic experience for her. I don’t have any issue with her having a problem with the footage being used in this way.
Which is why I have never understood people reading articles and watching videos about themselves.
Never understood it!
But again, it's not the first time. What is everyone else's excuse other than jumping on the bandwagon? I guarantee a fair share, if not most of them, have watched similar videos. She currently has 1.9 million views. Others just like it have the same numbers and higher. That speaks for itself.
Just seems hypocritical

Simone hasn't always handled social media well, and in this particular case doesn't seem to "get it." I see this sort of thing, using a "fail" video to reference something else in the same sport, all the time. It's not like this is something that's only happened to Simone.

But I also think she knows she has an entire army of gymnastics twitter warriors behind her and knew they would attack the OP. Dick move, imo.

Wow, just wow. I guess its LSU's turn to show you can buy a trophy. I really didn't want LSU to win this way, I would have been happy if they went up against OU and did it. But OU didn't want to participate. Now I am sure the gymnastics gods are going to give us a straight forward final, with LSU winning, Cal just a fraction behind, and UF/Utah a fraction behind that. We can only hope for a different outcome.
LSU has not won yet! I root for Cal/Florida. Cannot stand the Utah seniors trying to sweep abuse under the table for the sake of their last season.
Also cannot stand the LSU popularity posse..
love Florida, loved Cal this season so rooting for them

Which is why I have never understood people reading articles and watching videos about themselves.
Never understood it!
But again, it's not the first time. What is everyone else's excuse other than jumping on the bandwagon? I guarantee a fair share, if not most of them, have watched similar videos. She currently has 1.9 million views. Others just like it have the same numbers and higher. That speaks for itself.
Just seems hypocritical
Same here. I know that social media is part of the game now, that to stay relevant you pretty much must have a presence on social media. BUT that doesn't mean you have to spend hours a day on it. A healthier alternative would be posting your pic or video and then leaving it for the comments, but not engaging in them yourself.

Tokyo was no doubt awful for Simone and I'm glad she seems to be in a better place now. But I got the idea that she spent a lot of time on social media during the Olympics, arguing with comments. Granted, some of them were pretty nasty. But spending time on socials picking fights with people wasn't great for her emotional state. I honestly couldn't figure out why she was doing it.

The way a lot of pro athletes handle social media is they have a PR person do most or all of their postings. It's a way to control narratives and whatnot. Maybe the athlete, like a lot of celebs, as a "secret" account that isn't public, but the "official" accounts are for marketing.

I do see some athletes (hockey and baseball, because that's who I follow) just out in the twitter wild, and the ones that deal with it the best really seem able to let anything and everything roll of their backs and are able to poke fun at themselves. For all I know, they basically have everything on mute and that's how they survive. But I rarely, if ever, see one go after another person. 🤷‍♀️

I thought of Tokyo a lot, but not in a "wow, they really failed" way, and more of a screaming and did not see that coming way. Also felt kind of 2000.

I thought of Tokyo a lot, but not in a "wow, they really failed" way, and more of a screaming and did not see that coming way. Also felt kind of 2000.
Agreed. It had the same surreal "is this happening" feeling to it, after we all went in thinking that we knew the result ahead of time.

LSU has not won yet! I root for Cal/Florida. Cannot stand the Utah seniors trying to sweep abuse under the table for the sake of their last season.
Also cannot stand the LSU popularity posse..
love Florida, loved Cal this season so rooting for them
Ya I keep telling myself that too. I am hard pulling for Cal and UF

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Fans and Athletes (content creators, etc) should not share reaction and discussion spaces.
The greater the Internetisation of everything, the more strongly I agree.

I know there's a lot of money to be made from the existence of these parasocial relationships, even where the subject isn't actively trying to cultivate them. But looking in, it seems very risky for the person at the centre. The increasing tendency for the individual human to be the product makes all this so much worse. People feel entitled to you because you're selling yourself as a brand.

I don't see how anyone manages that without much more rigid boundaries than Simone tends to display in her interactions with the Internet.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Fans and Athletes (content creators, etc) should not share reaction and discussion spaces.
No kidding. I sometimes read a figure skating forum and remember a time when a fan critiqued Star Andrews (she needed better choreography or a different coach) and the other posters posters replied, "You shouldn't say that, her Mom sometimes reads and posts on the forum." My thought was, "Her mom shouldn't be reading this forum!"

What do you mean buy a trophy? They recruit well. I think saying that just takes away from their hard work. It's for sure not a sure thing they will win.

Any of 4 teams could easily win tomorrow depending on how it goes. I hope it's LSU or Cal. LSU has been so close before and I'd love to see them pull it off.

Same here. I know that social media is part of the game now, that to stay relevant you pretty much must have a presence on social media. BUT that doesn't mean you have to spend hours a day on it. A healthier alternative would be posting your pic or video and then leaving it for the comments, but not engaging in them yourself.

Tokyo was no doubt awful for Simone and I'm glad she seems to be in a better place now. But I got the idea that she spent a lot of time on social media during the Olympics, arguing with comments. Granted, some of them were pretty nasty. But spending time on socials picking fights with people wasn't great for her emotional state. I honestly couldn't figure out why she was doing it.
She did. I don't really understand why she did that either and she sure did get a ton of support, as well. I remember her retweeting trollish middle-aged men who had no idea how difficult gymnastics is. They clearly didn't represent the majority opinion.

Sucks we don't have Cathy any more but I love that the "Stream Team" for the individual streams consisted of Sam Peszek (UCLA), Bridget Sloan (UFL) Vault + Beam, Kennedy Baker (UFL) and Anastasia Webb (OU) bars+floor to commentate. Three NCAA AA champions.
I wonder if Peszek felt relegated?

Still nice to see alumni contributing.

Never understood it!
Just seems hypocritical
It’s pretty much unavoidable to see that kind of content due to social media algorithms.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back