2023 Worlds Postmortem

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Something slipped my mind as I was going back through the Peacock videos. Was there a competition where Yul lost the value of his Makuts on PB? Obviously not Qualifications since he qualified for finals. Not TF since I read he had the highest PB score in TF. So in AA? There was a discussion in the stands where IIRC it was said.

Nemour should have won bars, but her missed connection caused her to get silver. I would have been ok with gold, but I can see why the judges did not.

Beam, I thought Biles was cleaner and had a better overall presentation.

Both results were razor thin in terms of scores.

Something slipped my mind as I was going back through the Peacock videos. Was there a competition where Yul lost the value of his Makuts on PB? Obviously not Qualifications since he qualified for finals. Not TF since I read he had the highest PB score in TF. So in AA? There was a discussion in the stands where IIRC it was said.
Yul wasn’t in the all-around, Richard and Asher were. It could have been event finals.

Simone did it on two occasions internationally, but both were at the same championship, 2018 worlds. She stood it up in prelims, did the Cheng in TFs and then sat it down in the AA. It wasn’t really needed, so I think once it was named, the incentive evaporated.
Interestingly she did land it (once) at 2019 Worlds podium training.

Curious if she might have done it in the originally scheduled 2020 given there was no plan to Y2P, but I’m guessing not.

Last edited:
I’m still digesting the competition by rereading live threads, editing photos and watching coverage. So far it seems like an unusually uncontroversial championships. Is that fair?

In the arena I thought the bars and beam top twos could have gone either way but I haven’t managed to rewatch them properly yet. The Gadirova injury (😭) and several mistakes from challengers meant the AA medals shook out as expected. MAG VT bronze was close but when it’s the same country no one gets too upset. There were lots of lovely podiums at this competition

It feels strange that the gymternet isn’t mad about something!
To be fair, there are cool heads here. I’m sure there’s some sort of controversy brewing over on the fangirl boards.

Pretty sure it was event finals

Damit, it got taken down. I downloaded a copy, when I get home I will share it. (But it's gonna be 6ish hours before I can do that)
It's almost like you've learned the lesson that they only accidentally release that stuff, not intentionally. :) I'm looking forward to hearing some of the highlights people find.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back