2023 Worlds Postmortem

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Biles can easily gain several tenths if she works on her artistry. Her floor choreo is fine but her performance lacks the commitment to every small movement that so many gymnasts now show. Beam is similar. The average fan and the audience don’t care because what she does is still great. But in order to increase her lead she should really work on that.

They won’t be in Paris as a team, those berths have gone. It’s up in the air as to whether any will try for the individual world cup and continental AA spots next year.
It’s not just about the berths being gone. In some sports those berths are not yet gone, but no Russian athletes will be able to compete in any team event as per ioc. Neutral individuals will be permitted but what that actually looks like is yet to be decided. But for artistic gymnastics, the qualification will be via the World Cup route from January next year

Unlikely to be an issue with French visas though, several Russian and Belarusian officials were in Belgium for FIG meetings this week.

It’s not just about the berths being gone. In some sports those berths are not yet gone, but no Russian athletes will be able to compete in any team event as per ioc. Neutral individuals will be permitted but what that actually looks like is yet to be decided. But for artistic gymnastics, the qualification will be via the World Cup route from January next year

Unlikely to be an issue with French visas though, several Russian and Belarusian officials were in Belgium for FIG meetings this week.
Oh I’m only talking about artistic gymnastics. Not familiar with the qualification process for any other sport.

Biles can easily gain several tenths if she works on her artistry. Her floor choreo is fine but her performance lacks the commitment to every small movement that so many gymnasts now show. Beam is similar. The average fan and the audience don’t care because what she does is still great. But in order to increase her lead she should really work on that.
And she doesn’t have the natural awkwardness that someone like Jade has that would keep her from executing it effectively. Now that she has dialed back her tumbling, she should have the bandwidth once they figure out what finger flickin’ good choreography would check all the boxes.

Team Competition Highlights
Canada MAG were a highlight in qualifying as were Switzerland, Netherlands, Germany and Turkiye. The latter for finally qualifying a full team to the Olympics. Harry Hepworth only doing 3 events and making all three finals.

USA MAG doing well and holding onto bronze in team finals, and the Swiss for placing 5th with clean gymnastics. USA MAG could have won gold had they gone clean, which speaks volumes for their future with such young and talented athletes.

WAG: Romania, Australia, and Korea for qualifying full teams.
Team finals: USA winning their 7th consecutive title and 9th over all. Brazil and France taking their first team medals. China for doing as well as they could and remaining in the hunt for a medal despite being weak on two events. A cleaner day and they would have won a medal.

Shout out to South Africa for a well deserved 19th place in team, they are no longer the “pity team” getting to compete due to “quota” but they are massively improve and have beautiful gymnastics, just need some more difficulty.

Lowlights:
MAG Korea and Brazil not qualifying and France finishing 21st as a team with no full team to home Olympics. Australia opting not to use the team opportunity for a team score, really disappointing and an overall bad look.

WAG Belgium missing out on a 3rd consecutive Olympics due to injuries, Mexico and Hungary coming close but victim to beam and losing their best athlete (HUN). Poor Germany just missing out, they had a rockstar performance just unlucky. Canada, even though they were depleted, they had Black which saved them from being nocked down into the 20s. Stewart and Woo are experienced so disappointing to see both of them make errors.

Shout out to South Africa for a well deserved 19th place in team, they are no longer the “pity team” getting to compete due to “quota” but they are massively improve and have beautiful gymnastics, just need some more difficulty.
Hopefully we’re in the early stages of an upward trajectory for South Africa. I really enjoyed them last year at the CWG, and hope to see more of them in the future.

Hopefully we’re in the early stages of an upward trajectory for South Africa. I really enjoyed them last year at the CWG, and hope to see more of them in the future.
I hope so too and excited to see the rise of African Gymnastics.
Egypt continues to impress and I guarantee we see Algeria become stronger in a few years as Nemour popularizes the sport.
We have seen Nigeria (though not in 2023), Morocco (MAG), and Cameron begin to have full teams, at least showing up and Algeria and Morocco are competitive on the MAG side. Nemour gives relevance in the team competition for Algeria.

I would love to see Oceania and Africa combine for a double continental meet. It would make it more exciting. Especially in the team meet.

I also thought comparing to Sherbo was not fair as men have more apparatuses to win medals on. She still plowed his record !
Comparing to the likes of Latynina is also a flawed comparsion, as in her day, she could only compete in one word championships every four years. If she had worlds in three of four years in a cycle, I’m sure her numbers would be much higher.

I hope so too and excited to see the rise of African Gymnastics.
Egypt continues to impress and I guarantee we see Algeria become stronger in a few years as Nemour popularizes the sport.
We have seen Nigeria (though not in 2023), Morocco (MAG), and Cameron begin to have full teams, at least showing up and Algeria and Morocco are competitive on the MAG side. Nemour gives relevance in the team competition for Algeria.

I would love to see Oceania and Africa combine for a double continental meet. It would make it more exciting. Especially in the team meet.
I think in the short term what we are likely to see with Algeria is more French born athletes opting to represent Algeria. Since a significant number of the population are eligible for citizenship, not unlike the number of British who are eligible for Irish citizenship.

Comparing to the likes of Latynina is also a flawed comparsion, as in her day, she could only compete in one word championships every four years. If she had worlds in three of four years in a cycle, I’m sure her numbers would be much higher.
Obviously Latynina is an all time great, but she also had a benefit of no restriction on the number of gymnasts per country qualifying to finals, no all around final, and fewer number of athletes in event finals (6).
In addition, she benefitted from the Eastern bloc judges alliance, as did all Eastern bloc gymnasts.

She also had more events, as she competed in rhythmic (aka portable apparatus) events as well.

It was such a different sort during Latynina’s time. Not sure how much the apparatus development plays in, but the skill level makes it seem like longevity would be easier to sustain in the earlier days.

This was my favorite Worlds in many years! For many reasons:

Andrade doing so well throughout the whole meet.

Flavia finally winning a medal. A couple years ago, I honestly thought Flavia would never win a medal, especially an individual one. So nice to see it happen!

Thrilled with Simone and loving her routine composition on every event.

So happy for Shi winning another three medals and loving her gorgeous ethereal floor routine to Golden Hour.

Nice to see some real tough competition on BB with more than 3 gymnasts deserving of a medal, as opposed to the splatfest of last year. A much higher bar to medal this year.

Out of my mind happy with Brazil’s first team medal ever.

Super pleased to see Melanie finally get her World medal. And for France making things excited and unexpected.

Happy for the U.S. men medaling as a team, and especially Fred and Khoi doing so well individually. It gives me a lot of hope for the future.

The last time I was more pleased with a meet was 2018 NCAAs with UCLA’s come from behind improbable victory.

@irichluck21, wasn’t that the meet you said on WWGym was one of the best ever in your opinion? It was one of the NCAAs around then. How does this meet rank for you in terms of Worlds in the 2000s?

Last edited:
@irichluck21, wasn’t that the meet you said on WWGym was one of the best ever in your opinion? It was one of the NCAAs around then. How does this meet rank for you in terms of Worlds in the 2000s?
oh my…I can’t remember. Any further details you can give me more details. 2018 NCAAs was one of the best NCAA finals for sure.

oh my…I can’t remember. Any further details you can give me more details. 2018 NCAAs was one of the best NCAA finals for sure.
Ah yes, I just looked up the results from that NCAA Final, and that was the one. I was ecstatic over the meet and you said it was one of the best meets ever in your opinion.

One of the reasons, you said, was because it was such a tight, thrilling competition. You mentioned the top 4 teams - UCLA, OU, UF, and LSU - finished less than two and a half tenths apart, with it all coming down to their last event. I totally agree. One of the best meets ever.

(UCLA recorded the highest beam total in NCAA history on their last event to eek out the win over OU with Peng-Peng anchoring with a perfect 10.0, her second of the night in as many routines.)

The reason I remember your post was because after you stated your opinion, you paid me the best compliment anyone on WWGym gave me! You said that you respected me as a knowledgeable gym person and kindly asked my opinion on whether it was one of the best meets ever. I wanted to say thank you for your kind words and that you never know when saying something kind to someone can stick with them for years to come. 😊

I would say though that you know a lot more about the current happenings in the sport than I do. I am impressed with how much you know, even about obscure countries and gymnasts.

Last edited:
Incredible to see Simone come back so strongly after everything that happened in Tokyo and it is incredible to see Rebeca having such sustained success after everything that happened before Tokyo. Even if she is still clearly better, Simone knows she has someone gunning for her and I think she likes it.

I’m particularly fascinated to see what Simone does vault-wise. I suspect her success will give her more confidence to go back in the gym and work on more elaborate twisting, starting with the Amanar. But even if she gets the Amanar back, there’s a fair chance that Rebeca will have her Amanar in Rio. I would love to see them both throw down the same vaults and decide it on the day.

Obviously Latynina is an all time great, but she also had a benefit of no restriction on the number of gymnasts per country qualifying to finals, no all around final, and fewer number of athletes in event finals (6).
In addition, she benefitted from the Eastern bloc judges alliance, as did all Eastern bloc gymnasts.

She also had more events, as she competed in rhythmic (aka portable apparatus) events as well.
It also just wasn’t the same sport at all. The amount of wear on the tear on the body I imagine was quite minimal, comparatively. She did 2 floor passes in 1960, one of which was a back layout, the other was ro-bhs-front walkover.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back