2023 Russian Championships

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

She did this after a disastrous 2017 Euros performance too. Posted a long message about feeling stupid and not knowing what was going on and apologizing for her performance. Then she won floor in the end and was happy again.

Someone has cheered up!

My error. I was looking at the first VT (4,34) only. The second VT (5,21 - not stretched IMO), would have to go to 5,20 (or 5,30 if credited as stretched). I’m pretty convinced they would not go to VT without turn. What was the D-score awarded to the 2° VT? The results were not shown in that video.
  • List item

Yeah, IDK about nicer, I would rather watch Gadirova on floor than Listunova, I just prefer her energetic choreography and the superlative amplitude on her leaps.

But to address your comment about the discourse on Silivas techniques, I think it’s just because the Russians are competing in an alternate reality right now – if Listunova was sweeping up all the medals at international meets (like she has potential to) then the complaints would surely start rolling in. All that said if we’re really going over this with a fine-toothed comb, Listunova does have a more consistent shape on her Silivas – it’s not just that Gadirova’s is ‘open’, it’s that she was so laid out on salto #1 that some people were genuinely confused about whether she was attempting a Moors.

Last edited:
Nicer to watch. I know nothing of either of them personally. But ask the average gymnastics fan who is the nicer gymnast to watch and they will say Listunova. The point I am making is whether she is or not, is irrelevant. It’s about perception.

Last edited:
The AA results. You can see there is quite a gap between the points
  1. Viktoria Listunova
  2. Angelina Melnikova
  3. Ulyana Perebinosova

Perebinosova is still alive!
Wow. That is not a name we have seen in a bit.
Last time I recall her competing was the 2021 Varna World Cup.

Crazy to think that if Tokyo 2020 hadn’t been pushed back a year, Listunova and Urazova would have only ever been to one Worlds by now.
Urazova would have been eligible for Tokyo anyway, it was just Listunova who benefitted from the postponement.

As it stands though, if Russia don’t get back in Listunova must be getting up there for best gymnast never to go to Worlds.

who was the last WAG olympic champion who never went to worlds? Laurie?

She’s over-rotating it
Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 5.44.56 PM

Her left leg would be in front if she were under-rotating
but it’s borderline downgradeable for piking

Melnikova was flatter on vault, bars were completely not there for her on every skill…haven’t watched her beam yet. Floor she under-rotated first pass, whipped her DLO… I was thinking she looks under-prepared and not her usual self

Listunova looked excellent, the upgrades across events are good but the Dos Santos is a little suspect. I hope we can see her in international competition. She has been the best in the world on bars and is up there with Andrade and the USA gymnasts in the AA. She won’t be getting credit for free walkover + ring jump + FF on beam because of her arm movement

Urazova is still doing RO + bhs on beam? Time to switch to a round-off, double tuck

EDIT: Melnikova did look much better today.

Last edited:
Are the Russians using a bonus system or have they just borrowed some NCAA judges from the SEC? The scores were astronomical with many in the +/- 15 range

I thought that Listunova was great but 14.9 on fx (8.7 e-score) with several underotated passes - hmmm - but I guess they can claim highest scores in the world so far this year

Glad that Melnikova looked so much better today

Yes. A modified code has been used at the Russian championships for many years.

Listunova UB I have 8.6 E being pretty picky.

I can recall only a couple of Andrade UB routines as being cleaner this Quad so far. Shilese EF was close but not quite.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back