2023 American Classic

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Kayla was back and forth but decided after championships to go to Florida
She decided before nationals. She went from Tampa directly to Gainsville, never went back to Maryland.

With the caveat that I’m darn far removed from the conversation, I heard Kayla was very aware she was on the bubble for worlds, and decided that after 2020 and 2021, she wanted to have a “normal” experience of going to college on time, starting freshman year with other freshmen, etc.

She decided before nationals. She went from Tampa directly to Gainsville, never went back to Maryland.

With the caveat that I’m darn far removed from the conversation, I heard Kayla was very aware she was on the bubble for worlds, and decided that after 2020 and 2021, she wanted to have a “normal” experience of going to college on time, starting freshman year with other freshmen, etc.
It seemed pretty clear to me that she was headed to Florida right away, despite Tim Daggett trying to convince us that decisions hadn’t been made yet.
Will Kelli Hill retire or won’t she? Once Kayla is done, she is done.

Call Kayla the new Domi because she got Kelli to come out of retirement! LMAO

It’s a shame, because last year was probably Kayla’s best shot at making a major world team, especially after Konnor went down. I don’t really see her factoring into the conversation that much this year and next unless she comes up with a strong UB routine.

Last edited:
Agreed, but look what happened last time around. We almost ended up with Skinner on the main team! Never would have put her ahead of the ones who ended up being alternates, but I guess tossing your hat in the ring and staying healthy can do wonders sometimes.

Didn’t she make the worlds team in 2021? IIRC she medaled in the all around. (I guess it was sparsely attended so maybe it doesn’t count as a major one!)

Bumping up scores happens regularly in the Dev program to help get kids to state or regional meets. Typically as long as it doesnt affect standings and is within 1 or 2 tenths they will do it. Much harder to do that when trying to make the big meets like Nastia Cup and Nationals. I actually had a kid qualify to Nastia in 2022 and in the session after a coach was begging for her kids score to be raised to claim the spot my kid held on to. Her reasoning was that her kid was a senior and mine would still have a chance next year. When they wouldnt, coach apparently became irate and very loud. The judge found us at a later meet to tell the story. I dont know who the coach or gymnast was.

Last edited:
She got bronze in AA after a fall on uneven bars. But yes, very sparse field for AA in 2021. The top 4 were miles away from the others in the AA, and both DiCello and Urazova fell their way to 3rd and 4th. Urazova also only did a FTY on vault and watered down her tumbling.

Didn’t she make the worlds team in 2021? IIRC she medaled in the all around. (I guess it was sparsely attended so maybe it doesn’t count as a major one!)
I wonder if @MrSixkiller meant by “major world team” as an actual member of the team for a team worlds as oppose to individual worlds.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back