2023 American Classic

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Was her score actually changed, or was it not reported correctly?

I also hate all the manipulation but at the same time, feel part of the problem is lack of good score setting. What made 51 the qualifying score?

@MaryClare Let’s hope so! Spondylosis and osteoarthritis in 14 year olds is nothing we want to keep hearing about.

There’s talk that the Burdettes are now divorced.

Last edited:
If they changed the D score, they can also take appropriate deductions on the skill granted, and so it may have been a result of the E score for the given skill
No, in FIG scoring, if there is an inquiry into a D-Score, it can remain the same, go up or go down. The E-score is a separate entity.

Last edited:
What I mean is that if the skill value is changed (say, they allowed a connection or a higher skill), different deductions may apply, such as a slow connection or a body alignment deduction, that may not have necessarily been taken with the lower value awarded.

I don’t necessarily have a problem with it. With a hard cutoff, you should account for human error somewhat. More competitors at domestic meets is always better than less competitors. As long as it’s applied to everyone, which admittedly is a pretty big caveat.

Last edited:
Then just make it that 50+ is automatic qualification and 48+ you can petition

Petitioning procedures are used when the athlete is unable to compete due to illness, injury or extenuating circumstances; they are not intended to replace the qualification system. If a petition is denied, the athlete is ineligible to submit another petition for a higher-level meet.
Lee had kidney health issues this year which limited her training, well documented.

Biles was still recovering from the twisties which kept her from competing at her best in 2021 at the Tokyo Olympics, she is returning from taking time off to rest and recover her mental health in order to resume competing at an elite level.

Boom.

Done.

Petition accepted and on to US Classic.

They would be foolish to not find a way to allow former Olympians and Eorld team members. Look what Biles, Lee and Carey did for US Classic ticket sales. And i’m sure it’s a reason Trials tickets sold so fast.
100 % this.

NO WAY is USAG not allowing Lee and Biles to compete at US Classic after advertising them.
Carey is qualified to compete at Classic already.

They used to have a huge number of elites/level 10s though
They still do.

Lacie Saltzmann will be competing at US Classic in the junior elite division.

They also have a large group of level 10 currently training for NCAA/ obtained NCAA scholarships.
2023-2024 In addition to Barros going to UCLA (defer), Cecily Rizo is going to Kentucky, and Scarlette Ayakawa is going to Rutgers.
2024-2025 already have Avery Walters going to Brown and Haylee Hardin going to Iowa State.

Additionally they have a thriving men’s development program.
Texas Dreams took home the national all around title in Men’s Level 10 in three age groups.
16, 17, 18 year old winners all come from TD.

So far, far, far, from dead.

Last edited:
Biles was still recovering from the twisties which kept her from competing at her best in 2021 at the Tokyo Olympics, she is returning from taking time off to rest and recover her mental health in order to resume competing at an elite level.

Boom.

Done.

Petition accepted and on to US Classic.
Well she’s at camp right now where she can just verify her routines and qualify straight out. So no need to bother with that fantasy petition.

Well she’s at camp right now where she can just verify her routines and qualify straight out. So no need to bother with that fantasy petition.
It is not a “fantasy” petition. It would be legitimate and after everything that Biles has been through and considering all that she has accomplished, it would be silly of USAG not to allow her to move forward.

“I had twisties two years ago so that’s why I couldn’t come to any camps or qualifiers in 2023” is not really the basis for a petition. So she just went to camp.

Suni on the other hand has an actual recent injury/illness and is exactly the type of situation the petition process is for.

“I had twisties two years ago so that’s why I couldn’t come to any camps or qualifiers in 2023” is not really the basis for a petition. So she just went to camp.

Suni on the other hand has an actual recent injury/illness and is exactly the type of situation the petition process is for.
I don’t disagree with you on the camp part, but also Simone’s participation at US Classic was never in any doubt once she was announced as part of the roster.

USAG would allow her to compete based on Simone being Simone, who wanted to comeback to elite.

Last edited:
Me included really, but I think part of that is the context of there not being a standout for the 5th spot. Things like international experience and reputation start to matter more in those circumstances. But of course Kayla had/has that too.
It just put me off that so many people were ready and happy to bump Skye who had been showing up, putting in the work and getting good scores while also not being injured, especially when Kayla was still in the conversation. Like, Leanne struggled during every competition last year and in podium training, but people still heavily insisted she compete more events over Skye, who had been outperforming her the entire season except for US classic.

Last edited:
Remind me again when Kayla bowed out. I thought most people had Skye on their provisional teams by the time worlds trials started.

Remind me again when Kayla bowed out. I thought most people had Skye on their provisional teams by the time worlds trials started.
Yeah, by that time Konnor was injured so there was nobody else viable, although people were still trying to say Nola could be on the team over Skye because of bars.

Kayla was back and forth but decided after championships to go to Florida. At that time, most people had Leanne on the main team and Skye as alt. Then after Konnor pulled out, it was both on main team but people saying Leanne should still do AA over Jade and Skye. Then world trials happened, Skye did very well and Jade hit AA, but people weren’t ready to give up her AA aspirations. People were saying Leanne should do 3 events and Skye do 1, Jade would do VT FX and Leanne would do AA and Skye UB BB.

I just really can’t think of anyone in recent memory who had this many people rallying around her despite so many people performing better consistently, and that’s even going back to Tokyo.

We all love our Monday morning quarter backing. I think Kayla didn’t make a strong case for herself during team selection IIRC. I think some of us have a bias about toe point and quality of movement too. Maybe there’s some perception that Leanne is superior in those? Or it’s that wishful thinking that someone would have risen to the occasion if they’d had the chance. But Skye and Leanne both had errors regardless of causes like water on the beam and ribbons. Leanne wasn’t up to her best. Nola could have fallen on bars so we’ll never know.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back