2023 American Classic

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Melanie De Jesus Dos Santos bars:
14.250. D:6.100. E:8.150
ND:0.0

Last edited:
Looks like Lew will be the only one the qualify to nationals.

MDJDS scratched floor. Still a very successful day for her.

I struggle so hard with MDJDS’s bars composition. The Maloney + 1/1 + giant + Nabieva isn’t the worst part, it is that stalder 1/2 before the Ezhova --but she needs the grip change. I wonder if she lost her inbars, and if it just doesn’t make sense to include the Bhardwaj. But I wish she’d do this routine

Nabieva + Pak FD .2
Komova II + Bhardwaj EE .2
Chow + 1/2 turn on bar into Ezhova DD .1
Toe 1/1 + Van Leeuwen DE .1
DLO 1/1 E
FEEEEDDD 3.8 + 2.2 + .6 = 6.6

The 26.3-for-two-events rule suits a VT & UB combo. DiCello’s beam and vault are 13 and 13.25. Just 0.05 away from qualifying to nationals.

The 26.3-for-two-events rule suits a VT & UB combo. DiCello’s beam and vault are 13 and 13.25. Just 0.05 away from qualifying to nationals.
She also only did a FTY, she is capable of a DTY as we know, and she was using the 1 1/2 in NCAA.

I wish she did a Yurchenko 1.5 at least. I know there is a transition gap between NCAA and elite bars, so I understand she may not want to do bars here. A 26.3 is not kind to any two-eventer who competed on beam.

I would be shocked if DiCello didn’t qualify as an AAer at US Classic. Today was just about getting in front of elite judges again.

Amelia Disidore got the 3 event score. If not for a floor disaster, she would have qualified.

Melanie’ s bars.

beam:

Dude who took video, thanks if you are on this forum. The split screen was hard to watch.

Last edited:
Kayla DiCello beam. She only did a back tuck dismount, so replacing that with her usual double tuck will increase her score.

Some of those leaps are…🫣

And her vault

Last edited:
It seems likely the plan for DiCello was just to get out and do two comfortable routines in elite code of points.
Vault and beam are the easiest elite routines for her.
Bars and floor will need to get back to elite routine. Probably do all around at nationals.

DiCello used the FTY for most of early 2022 and the. Did the DTY at Nationals. So not surprised to see just a FTY right now.

I won’t question Kelli Hill’s pacing decisions. Last summer I thought DiCello was toast and then she showed at Nationals looking like a legit world contender.

I won’t question Kelli Hill’s pacing decisions. Last summer I thought DiCello was toast and then she showed at Nationals looking like a legit world contender.
Had DiCello gone to World Trials and hit, it is highly likely she would have been named to the team. They needed a bars and beam girlie. More so a beam girlie for team finals…DiCello fit the bill for both. Plus had DTY and back up floor.
She probably would have taken Blakely’s spot on the team or Wong’s given the team needed two beamers (Carey did beam in team finals EEKK)

I would think Leanne’s. She was only semi ready at best.
I agree. Especially since they turned around and took Leanne off bars and she only did VT in TQ.

VT (DiCello), Jones, Chiles, Carey
UB (Blakely), DiCello, Chiles, Jones
BB (Jones), DiCello, Chiles, Blakely
FX (DiCello), Jones, Carey, Chiles

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back