2022 World Gymnastics Championship WAG Podium (10/27-10/28)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Hopefully China got its misses out of the way today, because the performances did not look like a team that was a medal contender in my opinion.

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 7.04.39 PM

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 7.04.53 PM

this has got to be .3 for bent arms, no? That deduction can go up to .5.

Personally I’m taking 5 on the table, in real time. 3 for leg sep, 1 for bent arms and one for alignment. Given that they’ve been throwing her 9.1s and 9.2s for years, I can’t see how they’re going more than three or four.

The irony is that the Fujitsu electronic judging would probably get 7 or 8 tenths out of this.

Last edited:
Yeah, she barely turns a shoulder.
Still, she does turn the shoulder in the air before catching. I think this is sufficient for skill credit, it’s better than what Derwael is doing, and can still get an execution deduction. Tweddle didn’t do any better than this, and she is looked up to as being the person to bring these Tkatchev 1/2’s to the forefront.

You need to deduct her shoulder angle, too. Carey’s block was not like this in 2020. It has worsened; she is Olsen territory.

You need to deduct her shoulder angle, too. Carey’s block was not like this in 2020. It has worsened; she is Olsen territory.
To be frank, if we took every deduction that was available, we would be in the 7s.

This is why we should all want computerized judging.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 7
Yes, but not for Thorsdottir. Unless the judge is totally nuts!

As much as judges are supposed to nitpick shoulder angles, where feet start and end, the amount of split, the angles of handstands, etc etc etc they aren’t going to nitpick that routine’s artistry.

Artistry is so hard to evaluate! I think they made it harder without an ROV component it’s all geometry and math.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on Thorsdottirs FX? I genuinely think she could medal if she hits that set again. It was in my top 3 podium training floor routines. In fact, I think I only had Shilese ahead of her.

I had an 8.6 for Villa’s bar set.

Love GMF’s new routine. It really suits her I think.

Are you asking me specifically or the gang in general?

I think it’s great choreography and dance. I think the spin series looked good today — that last spin got away from her, but she danced out of it well and I appreciated that. Her saltos all were deficient in some way. I am hesitant to judge podium exercises because gymnasts often intentionally hold back somehow or at least guard their legs like Andrade did. I think she could sneak into FX finals, but once people are really competing, her saltos are going to get in the way of her doing more than just sneak in, as they always have.

That Strug is a little awkward, too, if I am being honest.

Last edited:
I find it difficult to evaluate the Split 1/1. She hits splits and her legs are straight. But it’s so wonky.

Last edited:
Her split 1/1 is deductible in multiple ways, she twists her upper body (the head especially) so the legs aren’t facing forward/backward as they should, it becomes a cross between a split and straddle, where the legs would be facing sideward. In addition her split itself is flawed, both legs aren’t at the 180 line from the torso, one is too low:
Thorsdottir-2022-podium

There’s something disconnected about the dance and the music.
Yes, she moves too fast in much of the choreography, particularly the dance section after the first acro, doing rapid wild movements that are very showy when that’s not what the music is calling for. This music goes between being introspective and transporting, as if the soul is soaring out of the body in a state a hope, while realizing a loss that can not be undone. In these climaxes that call for sweeping forward movement, for a journey between places, Thorsdottir instead remains quite still, either preparing for a spin or siting on the floor. There’s also a fluttery section before the last acro that could be characterized better, and in general there is a melancholy to the music that she doesn’t convey properly.

She’s an overall more expressive floor worker than many others these days, and there is enough choreography itself (although the ending could be better), but this is not a good interpretation of the music.

Last edited:
I mean, why do a pirouette straight into the dismount instead of taking another giant swing to get more momentum? She kind of drops from her highest point, not much of an ease to the landing.

Her split 1/1 is deductible in multiple ways, she twists her upper body (the head especially) so the legs aren’t facing forward/backward as they should, it becomes a cross between a split and straddle, where the legs would be facing sideward. In addition her split itself is flawed, both legs aren’t at the 180 line from the torso, one is too low:
View attachment 4894
I don’t get it. The shoulders and hips are square and aligned with each other. There is no twisting bulge at her waist. The only thing I see is her head.

I don’t think this screencap shows it.

She hits 180 with straight legs. I disagree that she’s showing some straddle - her hips are in a clear cross split. The issue is her alignment with the floor. She doesn’t do the cross split along the plane of the turn. It makes it look wonky. I think only a 0.1 is warranted; though I won’t begrudge if someone took a 3.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back