2022 World Gymnastics Championship WAG Podium (10/27-10/28)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

On a floor mat that’s basically a trampoline in comparison to what they were tumbling on in 96.
I hear this a lot but honestly I don’t think today’s floors are any different from the ones I competed on 20+ years ago (from actually going on them and doing light tumbling). Do you notice a physical difference when you jump on them, or is this just based on the difficulty people are doing nowadays?

Last edited:
Carey’s Cheng is so flat while Rebeca’s is floaty
Yes, but Carey can be better and was better in Paris recently. Rebeca has been very hit and miss with the Cheng in what I’ve seen of her this year. The pike down and lower chest position could bring in other deductions and have them neck and neck.

I think Rebeca is still the favorite but it’s not as clear as it previously was.

Last edited:
Rebeca has a very large pike down and a low chest position on landing.

Jade, for all the faults of her block, and less amplitude, maintains a stretch position and doesn’t have her shoulders down as she lands. They almost cancel each other out.

Whether they should is another question entirely!

I hear this a lot but honestly I don’t think today’s floors are any different from the ones I competed on 20+ years ago (from actually going on them and doing light tumbling). Do you notice a physical difference when you jump on them, or is this just based on the difficulty people are doing nowadays?
That depends on what you’re tumbling on. There’s definitely a difference in the elite competition floors and standard gym floors. The floors they use at worlds are much different than the ones they use at level 10 nationals.

Most gyms I’ve been to had cheer floors. The first gymnastics floor I worked out was at Orlando Metro. Then I also started working out at Evo for 4 months. When I got there they had an AAI floor that was a bit stiff. Right before I left USA they got a floor that had only been used for MAG world trials in 2021. It was an entirely different feel. It wasn’t as hard on my body and I got so much more rebound. It even sounds different when you walk, run, and tumble on it. It was an Olympic level floor that was like 80,000 USD.

Anyone able to count the D score?
The routine she did in Podium, I have a 5.5. However, it could be a 6.0 if she doesn’t fall on the dismount (0.3 - she loses both 0.1CV and 0.2 DMT bonus if she falls), gets the Gogean around (0.1) and gets the Switch Full around (0.1). Both were short, here.

As with Jen, I don’t like the new music. The choreography is recycled. It doesn’t hit as hard as the old routine. I’m disappointed, especially given the hype over it. Same as with Jen, she should have just kept the old routine.

Last edited:
I have a E 6.8 (Artistry 1) + D 5.5 = 12.3.

Without the fall, you could add 1.3 back, and maybe deduct 0.3 for a medium step. A 13.3 will likely not make EF. I had Thorsdottir on a 13.8. Chiles a 13.6. Shilese a 13.9. Jade a 13.5. I think the bubble is gonna be around 13.4-13.5 ish. Personally, I think the Chuso is a mistake and she should go back to the DLO. They tried it in podium, it didn’t pay off, and they should learn the lesson before it counts. It’s only worth an extra 2 tenths. Her DLO is a known commodity in the judging community. They only take 1 for legs, no height, no feet, no pike down, no chest. This new element is a huge risk for not a lot of payoff. Plus - landing the Chuso like that is exhausting and affects her ability to hit the DMT, as we saw here in PT.

I am sure Jess would be devastated to hit a routine and not make the final.

ETA: I also question the technique that they’ve had her learn. I would have favored a full-out style - which Jade and Rebeca both use. Set the skill first, get into the layout shape, then twist it. The technique of doing the full first, can cause the gymnast to chop the height (especially when nervous) which kills the set and results in a huge pike down, as we saw here (and also as we saw with Jen in Tokyo when they actually downgraded it to a Full In Pike).

Last edited:

Is the turn “initiated” before the catch? I would say no.

Yeah, she barely turns a shoulder. I also don’t see the point in a giant 1/1 straight into the dismount.

I also don’t see the point in a giant 1/1 straight into the dismount.
Do you mean it should go towards the front of the routine?

I wonder how much they’ll take for the bent knee tap. It really is a 0.3 if you watch closely.

Her arms cross but none of her body twists until after the catch. Pretty routine until that ugly tap.

rebeca’s cheng just flies in the sky

Last edited:

This routine makes me so fucking mad.

Before the Inbar Half, I was at 5 tenths off. I ended up with an 8.4.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back