2022 Winter Cup Women's Discussion February 26, 2022

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

For sure, though it’s definitely not limited to the US (as Doug indicated, along with all the manky switch halfs we saw on beam all of last quad). The consensus still seems to be maximise the difficulty and hope for the best.

Oh nowhere close. The Americans are just more vulnerable to nasty surprises than most other programmes because they do less international competition.

I do think as well the 2018 and 2019 major competition judging wasn’t especially tight. It’s not just worlds, but some of the continentals too. 2019 Pan Ams for example. So that didn’t help.

Cheryl, while the world may remember you for your response to Makayla’s vault, we will remember you for the contributions you have made to the judging community for the past 45 years. Your work has had an impact on every single judge in the United States. Your contributions will affect our members for years to come. Even thought the scores you give in the elite world are in the teens, we give you the highest score possible in our world. Cheryl, you have earned a perfect 10.00. Congratulations on your selection to the NAWGJ Hall of Fame.

Did anyone else think Jennifer was injured after the DLO in EF (@0:34)?
Yep. I’ve watched this floor final a lot and this landing always makes me wince. She’s tentative on the step out of the DLO and isn’t quite into the subsequent dance as much as she usually is. However, in general the Gadirova DLOs are so lovely to watch.

Good catch on the Gogean->split full change. I agree that watching Jessica pile up Gogean deductions on routines that still scored 14 was frustrating. Didn’t she already have a split full in her routine though?

Last edited:
Didn’t she already have a split full in her routine though?
She had a switch full. The Gogean was much more rotated than Jennifer but still not worth the 0.1 bump in D Panel, IMO. Especially when we know she could have done a clean full without the loss of control.

You can tell they told Jennifer to stick the full in EF. She really holds that landing.

You can tell they told Jennifer to stick the full in EF. She really holds that landing.
She does control the split 1/1 landing, but in the new code will be penalized .1 for landing piked forward like that.

So presumably this encourages lunges out of dance elements? Otherwise, there’s no other way to land deduction-free!

They can be landed deduction free! See Liukin’s upright landing position on her Strug versus Gadirova’s split jump 1/1

Did you all notice that Alicia and Sam were SCREAMING for Nastia on that floor rotation, but relatively quiet when it was Shawn’s turn…

I really don’t like the score requirements for 2 and 3 eventers. It’s fucking stupid that scores on VT and FX are taken as if they’re equal.

At 2021 Nationals, every single vault in the top 20 AA (except Kara Eaker and Karis German), on both nights of competition, scored a 14+. Overall, there were 39 vaults that scored a 14+.

By comparison, over two days, there were only six 14+ routines on floor, nine 14+ scores on beam, and twelve 14+ scores on bars.

If your 3 events were VT, UB and BB, or if your two events were VT/UB, you obviously have a much easier time qualifying than if you don’t compete VT.

I know the new Code tries to address this by pulling down VT D Scores, but it still won’t fully address it. They should implement higher event-specific requirements, but thereafter allow you to compete AA if you meet them.

It is also silly that Alipio isn’t qualified to do AA at Nationals when she was just at Arthur Gander Memorial competing as a US national Team member.

I understand the World and Olympic auto qualifier but I also think if you are a national team member and represent the US internationally that it should qualify you to Nationals too. Like you can compete international for USAG but you can’t compete at Nationals unless you qualify doesn’t really make sense.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back