2022 NCAA Nationals (April 14-16, 2022)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

No other coach has topped KJ when it comes to choreography. OU’s had the most intricate beam choreo for many years and I think that gives them confidence and so also keeps their minds more occupied so it’s harder to lose concentration. Florida’s choreo feels like an adapted version of elite bb choreo. The gymnasts lines are the focus for me cause the choreo itself is kinda pose-y for me.

I didn’t think McCusker would have a stellar season, but I’m surprised she struggled so much on bars. 9.4125 with a fall on her dismount so they could have had a 4th 9.9+ with a hit. She really struggled to find a dismount that wasn’t a journey to the landing all season and I just don’t understand how an athlete of her caliber couldn’t pull something more reliable together unless there was an injury between now and olympic trials i’m forgetting. I hope they can get a BB/FX out of her next year.

Last edited:
Oklahoma is far more detailed than Florida, to me. The entire team doesn’t have the natural lines of the Florida gymnasts, but they’re executing better tit for tat.
They have also learned to work the code on floor to get high scoring routines with minimal difficulty but clean tumbling that they stick.
I also really dislike the way that they land dismounts with their feet so far apart from each other but the judges don’t take anything for it and it gives them an advantage over others. IMO feet that far apart, with the deeper knee bend and chest forward should be a deduction.
It’s a shame Oklahoma does it very often because they can have a perfect beam set going with gorgeous leaps and unique choreography but then the dismount ruins it for me.

Reactions: One
Completely agree with you. I call it the “Oklahoma stick”. But until judges deduct for it, its to their advantage to keep doing it. I actually think their choreo is horrible, but KJ is obviously a master at knowing/working the code for each gymnasts to maximize their potential score and eliminate risks.

I actually think their choreo is horrible,
Not a fan of floor but I do enjoy their beam work. Also love some innovation like Jenna Dunn doing the sideways full turn on beam.Overall their pacing and aggressiveness on beam is pleasing, to me anyway.
Also I can watch Audrey Davis on bars for hours.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back