2022 NCAA Nationals (April 14-16, 2022)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

That was a great beam rotation for OU.

I didn’t think I could like Trinity any more but today proved me wrong.

That floor is the best NCAA floor routine i’ve ever seen. All six judges gave it a ten.

Last edited:
I don’t know who decided to start adding “texture” to leotards (Texas Dreams and Ozone maybe?), but it’s not cute and I’ve never liked it.

Last edited:
I was saying to Rich during the broadcast - did Bowers salute after her UB? Is that a deduction?

I didn’t catch whether or not she did, but not saluting is indeed a deduction and one that does get taken. Griffin James from Alabama got hit with it when she got caught up in the feelings after her first floor back from an Achilles injury… somewhat recently, within the bounds of the current scoring climate.

Trinity 39.8625 today; and I bet it would have been at least 39.9 in a regular season meet.

It’s an appropriate result today. I find it harder to be a big OU fan during this relatively low period in their floor history, but they are really great on the other three. That coaching staff knows how to teach a stick better than any other coaching staff in the history of this sport.

Also, Chiles’ FTDLO, front LO full to double tuck, double pike set has my vote for the hardest fully hit NCAA tumbling ever.

I’ve been trying to find Maloney’s 2005 EF set. I think she did FTDLO, whip-double pike, triple full with an OOB, but I’m not 100% on that.

It’s an appropriate result today. I find it harder to be a big OU fan during this relatively low period in their floor history, but they are really great on the other three. That coaching staff knows how to teach a stick better than any other coaching staff in the history of this sport.
100%. This team should not have been this good, but they just kept getting better and better all season. They know how to dig in deep and get those sticks and that is ultimately what gave them the title. Olivia Trautman is something else and def a game changer for the Sooners. They only lose a few routines from post season, I think just Carly Woodard’s BB and FX.
Florida gave a lot away today with steps on landings.Better vaulting could have won it for them.
Losing Skaggs and Baumann is going to a hurt a bit at first, but they have a lot of depth.

At least in USAG and NCAA, they only have to salute by raising their arms over their heads. They don’t actually have to face the judges. IIRC she did raise her arms after landing but not towards the judges, so she would have been okay.

Most of the live blogging was pretty much OUCHIE Oklahoma. I don’t think anyone really expected them to nail the next three events or for Florida to give up landing deductions.
Honestly I thought Utah would win it after 2 rotations but then they had the issues on vault and Oklahoma dominated bars.

She did the passes you listed, and the exercise is here – sort of. You can see the full routine without the full-twisting double layout first, and then the upgraded pass appears in the profile clip after the exercise, referring to that phase of competition.

I’d say Chiles matched her. (Maloney ending with a triple full is no joke!)

Last edited:
Her twisting efficiency was incredible. Flaring out of a triple full dismount - we never see that.

Has anyone seriously started to talk about raising the difficulty bar in women’s NCAA yet? Or at least giving judges a clear instruction to TAKE the deductions that are clearly present.

A Y1.5 should not be worth the same as a DTY (or a Lopez). And Shap-Pak, Shap 1/2, DLO should not be a 10.0 on bars. A rudi on FX should not be a D.

The top gymnasts are going well over a 10.0 anyway. I feel like a lot of the scores we are seeing is because the judges feel boxed-in judging routines that “should” start at a 10.2, to the point where we are seeing some absolutely ridiculous 9.9s. It’s not fair and its not accurate. Trinity’s floor was a true 10 - yet it only got a half tenth more than some routines with clear errors and lower difficulty. Crossed legs, poor split, and bad feet deductions are literally being ignored.

It’s clear that simply telling the judges to use the E Panel deductions that are already available to them won’t work. And, I don’t mean to get political, but I also fear that some judges are too scared to not give out 9.9s/tens to certain high-profile gymnasts for fear of the blue-hair brigade coming out against them on Twitter. I’ve seen multiple posts on Twitter quite literally saying “after all she’s been through this year, how could the judges NOT give this queen a ten” etc. etc. Twitter fans more interested in the tea and the gossip have gotten used to such high scores that a 9.8 is considered a personal insult by the judges, and is whipped up into some kind of retribution based on said gymnasts’ ethnicity, sexuality, speaking out against a history of abuse, etc.

It’s turned into a farce.

Last edited:
Crazy that Kyla Ross won an NCAA title on every event, but never the AA.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back