2022 Mediterranean Games June 26-29 (Olan, Algeria)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

irichluck21

Staff member
Defender
Italy are the defending champions from 2018.
Competing:
🇮🇹 Italy
:greece: Greece
🇫🇷 France
:malta: Malta
🇪🇸 Spain
:egypt: Egypt
:croatia: Croatia
:slovenia: Slovenia
🇹🇷 Turkey
:portugal: Portugal
:cyprus: Cyprus
:algeria: Algeria

The Women’s Qualifying/Team Final for this was today.

Team Final:

Italy 161.950
France 156.600
Spain 148.450
Turkey 146.700
Portugal 143.300
Egypt 140.850
Slovenia 129.100
Algeria 126.850

Italy sent their strongest team, France look like they were missing a couple of people. Not sure what Spain have in reserve (e.g. Is Roxana Popa still competing?) but finishing less than two points ahead of Turkey would be slightly concerning if this is the team which will be trying to qualify for Worlds.

Martina Maggio qualified 1st for the AA final ahead of Asia D’Amato, Carolann Heduit and Lorette Charpy. Charpy however apparently suffered possibly another knee injury during the competition.

Spain lost Olympian Mariana Gonzalez to Iowa State and I believe she has retired from elite.
Cintia Rodriguez was recovering from a knee injury that kept her out of the Olympics and her status is unknown.
Ana Perez also missed out on Tokyo due to major injury and her status is also unknown.
Unsure why Roxana Popa was not on the team.
Also unsure about Laura Bechdeju being left off as well.

Maybe they wished to give the younger athletes some experience before Euros and Worlds?
Here is their roster:
Laura Casabuena
Emma Fernández
Lorena Medina
Alba Petisco
Claudia Villalba

Just as a side note, Turkey brought their A team to compete so not surprising to see them that close to Spain and even France. I think Turkey will qualify a full team to Worlds at Europeans.

Also I do hope that Charpy is not too injured.

Last edited:
After doing some digging, it sounds like the Spanish team are having a lot of trouble with injury.

Popa: Recently posted a message about a knee injury, sounds like she hasn’t been training for a while but (if the translation is correct) is still aiming for 2024.
Perez: Had another operation earlier this year, posted (again if the translation is correct) that she is focused on recovering but doesn’t know what the future holds regarding gymnastics.
Bechdeju had an operation last year after the Olympics, and as far as I can tell hasn’t competed since.
Cintia Rodriguez: There is a thread on this site reporting her retirement but she is trying to return to competition.

Based on the domestic results so far this year this Mediterranean Games team looks pretty close to the best Spain have at the moment.

Based on the domestic results so far this year this Mediterranean Games team looks pretty close to the best Spain have at the moment.
So could be room for concern. I wonder if the result in Oran was based on ability or mistakes made by inexperienced team members.
Euros should be verrrrrrry interesting.

Side note for the men: Turkey took home the team title over Italy and France.
It is their first team gold medal.

Popa: Recently posted a message about a knee injury, sounds like she hasn’t been training for a while but (if the translation is correct) is still aiming for 2024.
Perez: Had another operation earlier this year, posted (again if the translation is correct) that she is focused on recovering but doesn’t know what the future holds regarding gymnastics.
If you point me to the sources i can check the translation ☺️🤓

Huge AA score for Maggio.

I think Italy are going to be the ones to beat for the European title.
I think it will be very tight with Great Britain.
Great Britain has the slight edge as long as Ondine’s DTY is working.
Italy has a large advantage on bars and likely beam.
But Italy is very weak on floor and that is where GBR can make a major move with Jess and Jennifer putting up huge numbers.

France and Belgium should be in it as well but definitely not the front runners like Italy and GBR.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back