2021 Worlds Day 2 EFs

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

FlipFlyTumble posted a screenshot of it on Twitter:

I haven’t tried to find it to rewatch it real time

ETA: Routine is viewable here, set to timestamp (may need VPN):

Last edited:
Going first in an event final is not the kiss of death anymore it seems

Yeah I saw the leg drop in real time slightly but it was such a momentary thing I didn’t think it would warrant a downgrade… hm.

Ugh this is just absurd. It’s clear she’s doing an L turn and not closer to 45 than she’s to 90. These downgrades are incredibly stupid. Just take a tenth for position or body shape or whatever. Putting it on the d score makes it all look incredibly petty

Unf*cking believable that she likely lost a half a point on that turn combo (.3 D, .2 E) when it’s only worth .5 to begin with and she completed it beautifully

@tempest Doug suspects the judges thought DiCello was missing a dance series because her free walkover + split + straddle connection was slow, despite her also doing a switch leap + Sissone which they may have missed

My medalists – having not yet seen the bottom 4 on floor
VT) 1. Andrade 2. D’Amato 3. Melnikova
UB) 1. Luo 2. Melnikova 3. Andrade (tied with Wei but Wei loses on E)
BB) 1. Ashikawa 2. Schafer-Betz 3. Luo (but I’m ok with Murakami winning bronze since she didn’t fall)
FX) 1. Melnikova 2. Murakami 3. Urazova

Last edited:
@tempest Doug suspects the judges thought DiCello was missing a dance series because her free walkover + split + straddle connection was slow, despite her also doing a switch leap + Sissone which they may have missed
I suspect this - purely because I have no idea how they could have otherwise found an 4.9. It’s the most plausible reason and if its true its an absolute abomination and would further prove that Kelli Hill has no clue what the fuck she’s even doing on the podium. Yes I know it wouldn’t have mattered anyway but really. Let your gymnast get the score they deserve.

Spencer didn’t even raise it on the Podcast.

To be fair - if that position was shown before the end of 2 revolutions - it should be downgraded.

If so - the same pen needs to be held to Mai’s Triple Y.

100% agreed. Gymnasts deserved to be scored correctly. Plus, inquiries are a way to hold judges accountable–and not submitting one in such a blatantly obvious d panel fuck up is allowing them to get away with shitty judging.

First the one-touch screw up, now this. Kelli really fucked it up at worlds.

No, it shouldn’t. 1. The COP states in Section 9: “All directives for angles of completion of elements and body positions are approximate and meant to serve as a guideline.”

That does NOT say a gymnast should have their turn with multiple revolutions on toe examined frame-by-frame and devalued for a split-second dip of a few degrees. Even in real-time, how many gymnasts hold their leg in a full 180-degree split throughout the entire 2+ revolutions of a Y turn? 0.

“L” turns have always been described with the THIGH being decisive for “leg.” That is why the description applies to L, Attitude (leg bent backward at the knee, yet thigh is at horizontal), Volleman’s edition (leg bent at the knee with hand support, yet thigh is at horizontal). Angelina’s THIGH is AT horizontal. It might be 5 degrees short, but that can’t be proven in real-time OR from a screenshot at this angle anyway. The human eye literally cannot fairly evaluate whether a gymnast’s thigh drops 5 degrees for .001 seconds of a double turn.

Given the precedent of turns receiving credit since 2009, there is clearly an understanding of this since as I said, NO gymnast reaches/holds a full L or 180 split for a full 2 turns when accounting for the lift and exit. Period. She’s already getting hit with an insane amount of deductions for precision, body shape, etc. Sure, the WTC ought to be more specific and explicitly allow discretion for close calls in the COP. However, as it is currently written and as the D Panel has acted in response to similar execution for 10+ years, the “All directives for angles of completion of elements and body positions are approximate and meant to serve as a guideline.” clause is more than enough to conclusively say she deserved her .30 D in exchange for the ~.40 E she lost.

E score rankings.

Beam
E RankNameE ScoreOverall
1Schaefer8.42
2Ashikawa8.21
3Murakami7.9333
4Wong7.8334
5Luo7.55
6Andrade7.16
7Melnikova77
8di Cello6.9668
9Vorona6.6339
Floor
E RankNameE ScoreOverall
1Melnikova8.42
1Urazova8.44
3Murakami8.2661
4di Cello8.2335
5Ceplinschi8.1666
6Wong8.1333
7Bachynska7.9337
8Hiraiwa7.0338

Well, we are figuring out how she lost credit. That’s a separate conversation from whether we agree with the decision.

As I said upthread, I would have credited Melnikova but not credited Mai.

And I would have given Urazova the gold!

Urazova’s E score compared to the others should prove to be interesting analysis. I expected her to further ahead of Wong on a first watch.

Urazova’s E score compared to the others should prove to be interesting analysis. I expected her to further ahead of Wong on a first watch.
I thought the Urazova - Bachynska back to back comparison was most telling. FIG had 5 tenths apart. Rich and I both had a 1.2 separation.

Just completely unreasonable non-separation.

Last edited:
I swear to god you single-handedly make me instinctively dislike poor Vlada. She’s not THAT clean. She’s a beautiful gymnast, but she’s no Komova.

But still the argument about the separation between her and Bachy is fully valid.

Last edited:
If Urazova won FX gold, I might have given up on the sport lol
I mean, totally fair point. But when the FIG makes Triple Wolf immediate Double Wolf the same difficulty score as a Triple Full and a Double Pike - and hits hanging around in the corner, followed by tumbling, with all manner of execution deductions - then its really not surprising that someone like Urazova takes the former route to a big D Score.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back