Which Olympic sports have you tried or would like to

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I did gymnastics first, but only up to level 6ish? And then I rode (briefly thought I wanted to do eventing before I realized I don’t like risking my life that much). I also played soccer to a pretty high level—there was a time I’d played with or against several members of the Canadian national and Olympic team including multiple years with a two time Olympian up until we were around 18. I’m sure I could have played in the NCAA but didn’t for whatever reason/it all being a lot more mysterious in the early 2000s!

Since then I’ve messed around with drop-in archery, running (I’m truly terrible at it/hate it but have done a marathon and various 5/10ks), and quite a bit of equestrian vaulting, which isn’t currently an Olympic discipline though it’s been a demonstration sport and would fit right in with artistic swimming/equestrian, imo.

I also played a couple of years of women’s cricket so that’s one of 2028’s new sports ticked off.

I’m old and out of shape and still can’t quite shake the Olympic dream…shooting maybe? 😂

I compete in tai chi/wushu. The scoring is similar to gymnastics.

They're not Olympic sports but they are in the Asian Games and University Games. Wushu will be included in the 2026 Youth Olympic Games as a test sport.

I played rugby in college. Very excited that it's an Olympic sport.

Well, in my case, paralympic/adaptive sports. As a mid-to-late teen, I was involved in WC track and field and road racing. But I am 48 now and my health has changed. In the Olympics tonight, I watched some pistol, and that was oddly captivating. I did shoot a rifle at a summer camp one time.

I suppose if I were a teen again, I'd actually ramp it up quite a bit and make road racing and track my life. If I were suddenly to become able-bodied, I'd do pistol, like I mentioned above. I like the simplicity and the gear. Actually, as I type this, that might be in the Paralympics, too.

Here in America, cross country running seems very popular amongst high school, and to an extent, college athletes. I don't think I've ever heard of it in the Olympic or general elite world, but I'd love to see it in the Olys. I find it immenselly fun to watch and love the scoring system.

Great idea for a thread and I love your tradition MaryClare.

I did Ju-Jitsu for 10 years as a kid, not sure how similar that is to Judo. While at school I was on the hockey team and I did athletics in PE lessons. I did trampoline from 17-37 until an injury and I haven't quite made my peace with retirement yet, there's still a possibility my back could eventually handle it again. I took up adult gymnastics two years ago and that's currently a massive passion for me, I want to get better so bad. I did diving for a year because so many people in my trampoline club were doing it. I never got up the nerve to go head first off the 3 m but I did pencil jump of the 5 m a few times (terrifying!). I've played tennis, table tennis and badminton socially a handful of times and I did weekly swims in between my recent two medical issues.

After London I tried to find a team sport that suited me and was inspired by some of the sports I watched at the Olympics. I did not have the front crawl swimming ability to do water polo, but I did enjoy learning to egg beat and doing basic throw/catch exercises. Volleyball was more successful but it clashed with two other clubs that I did and after my first dodgy moment got me sent to A&E (only a suspected broken finger) I drifted away. I'd try volleyball again though. After that I settled in to ultimate Frisbee for a bit (not in the Olympics). I loved playing it but did not have the running endurance to be particularly useful. Did manage one competition though.

I wouldn't mind trying handball, having watched it in Paris. Climbing and 3x3 basketball have been on my list to try for a while but climbing is more likely as I guess I'm more suited to individual sports.

Maybe I will try climbing. I’ve been up a climbing wall a few times and was quite good at it. Although we mostly messed around playing “gladiators”

I love this thread!

I swam competitively from ages 7-42, including a few Masters meets before my daughter was born. I did Katie Ledecky's events (distance freestyle), but I was considerably slower!

During my 30s and early 40s, I also competed in a number of open-water swims, some at the Jersey shore, and some farther afield. My favorite was a 10 K in Bermuda. My least favorite was a two-person relay around Key West. It sounded like a great idea in theory, but it was an utter nightmare. (Once I got in the water it was fine, but everything beforehand just sucked.) I still swim several times a week, just for fitness, but I'm no longer interested in any sort of competition. Motherhood is intense enough!

I also do a lot of yoga and Pilates. At some point, I'd love to become a yoga instructor, but the certification process is very costly and time-consuming.

Oh, I also love badminton! When I lived in China, I played it almost every day, and now my daughter and I play it in our backyard whenever the weather's good enough. We don't have a net, and we don't keep score--it's just for fun.

Tomorrow I'm going to sign up for my fourth stab at artistic gymnastics. It's been a cyclical thing for me. I've been working on building strength and flexibility, and am trying to limit myself to a few achievable goals: glide kip, press handstand, back tuck.

Like most people on this board I did gymnastics as a child but my early Olympic dreams involved figure skating which I did until my mid teens. As an adult my only chance for sporting glory would be netball which I play every week, so it would have to be the Commonwealth Games for me rather than the Olympics!

As for Olympic sports - I would love to have a go on a 'proper' trampoline - I've really fancied myself ever since I did a somersault on the trampoline in my neighbour's garden!

I forgot about my several years of trapshooting. That was seriously fun.

Brief gymn. Competed in diving for high school and club. Went to Orlando on two trips (Disneyland included!!) and got to train with future Olympian Mark Ruiz. It was my first time on the 10 meter platform. Was attempting to compete at university, but the men's program was dropped right before my freshman year. I coached for a few years in between college courses.

Not an Olympic sport but I have always wanted to try double mini trampoline.

Washington state has resources for climbers through clubs like The Mountaineers.

I’m a life long competitive equestrian. As a teen I rode up to the 1.1m jumpers but I’ve become much more of a weeny as an adult and like my fences much smaller and my critters slower. And never ever any of those giant solid Eventing fences, that shit is terrifying.

We like to kayak for fun, and sometimes climb but never competitively.

I did gymnastics as a kid and then picked it up again as an adult, and also tried trampoline. My hardest skill was a piked double front Rudi out, but I could never connect anything from it :ROFLMAO:

I did diving as a child. Just competed with club sports.

Actually I just remembered that next week I am driving home to Moscow from Cannes. Which is a sport in itself. But rolling into gas stations in random little towns of Eastern Europe, with a Moscow licence plate? Definitely should be an Olympic sport
This would make an amazing travel book!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back