2021 Worlds Day 2 EFs

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

“Never having had issues with the turn getting credit before” - hmmm, she needs a call with Kara Eaker!

She had a 5.8 in Prelims, a 5.5 in the AA, and a 5.6 in EF.

E Scores went 8.3, 8.333 and 8.4.

Last edited:
The uploader has not made this video available in your country 😦

Reactions: L_R
My scores for the BB final are all over the f*cking place tbh. I had Vorona and Murakami WAY lower, and Andrade WAY higher (don’t I always with her hehehe)
  1. Ashikawa 2. Schafer-Betz 3. Luo whoops

I am so happy that this itty-bitty powerhouse from 2009 finally has an Olympic medal and World gold to her name and did it at a home Olympics and Worlds. I would love to see her in Paris 2024, but she has so much to be proud of either way. I hope her accomplishments gain Japan WAG more investment to become as dominant as MAG.

So it looks like the D Jury gave neither Mai’s Mustafina and Angelina’s Double L.

Both were appealed to the Superior Jury, which gave Mai’s but not Angelina’s.

I’ve only watched them both, live, at full speed, once.

My initial thoughts are that I would have had them the other way around. I gave Angelina’s in real time but not Mai’s.

So far for the floor final, without looking at the D Panel yet, Rich and I have:
  1. urazova
  2. melnikova
  3. murakami
  4. wong
  5. dicello
  6. ceplinschi
  7. bachy
  8. hirawai

Last edited:
I’ll be scoring in the next hour. I definitely concur and give Melka credit and not Murakami. Murakami has been low-balled before (2013 she should’ve made the podium instead of Ferrari imo) but methinks she got a little help today. Will be watching the full final soon–I’ve only seen the three medalists thus far. I hope Urazova had a bunch of little errors because I can’t understand Wong’s arm flapping holding up…

Reactions: L_R
Me and Rich both had Urazova at 8.7.

The fact that Bachynska went up straight after and the FIG separated the two by 5 tenths is the most devastating part of that final for me.

The turn thing is a discussion. The E score separation between Urazova and Bachinska should literally not even be close.

Finally caught up. I was only half paying attention to competition order for high bar and full on screamed when Uchimura came off. My husband came running into the the room just in time to hear Olly say “This is just the warm up” and there has been a lot of laughing at me since.

I’m glad Uchimura went out with a hit routine; I can’t say much for the rest of the HB routines other than Hu’s winning just didn’t do it for me. I was thrilled to see Murakami win floor and Ushikawa win beam, but the beam podium basically being the beam podium by default of who stayed on always sucks. But I’m really happy to see Ushikawa and Schaefer getting medals (and Murakami getting a surprise bronze). I was also delighted by Olly describing the Schaefer-Betz as the only gymnastics skill painted by M.C. Escher. Luo and Andrade’s falls were the big disappointments. Luo’s looked like it hurt.

Disappointing day for DiCello, unfortunately. It was nice to see Wong make up for her beam performance on floor, but the landings really weren’t her best and I would have been happy to see Urazova in bronze (per usual with her fourth place finishes and just in general). The little smile on her face after she was sure she was going to stay in bounds was cute. I’m just really looking forward to seeing her come into her own.

Ha I thought Angelina’s was a fall out of an OVERTURNED Double L. And the “fall out” occurred after 2 revolutions were done.

I’ll need to look at it again to see if my initial gut instinct was right.

Yeah, I don’t see her heel dropping early and her leg seems to be held at horizontal throughout most of it. I took .1 for precision (the over-rotation) and I think I took .1 for her leg wavering slightly below horizontal. I would give full D+B .1 still

If you have any thoughts in the meantime add them as comments into the D Panel line

I added as a comment but I’ll post here too re: Luo’s beam:

Candle D
RO + blo BE (no CV bc fall, right?)
Sri + FF EB .1 (no connection for FF + sj)
Ssl + rl CD .1 (just barely)
Free walkover + ring jump + Korbut DDB .4
Split jump 1/2 crossways D
2.0 C
EDDCEDDD 3.3 + 2.0 + .6 = 5.9

so the judges did not give her either switch ring + FF or the ssl + ring leap, but I think she should be paid credit for both

It seems they didn’t pay it because leg wasn’t at 90 degrees.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back