2021 Doha WC

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I honestly have no fucking idea. Would be hugely interested to know what MRR meant upthread about China choosing.

AR, I think I was mistaken and the above takes from Rich and Robin are correct. If the spots are allocated at the same time, it means that Zapata, Kameyama, Petrounias, Shin, Y. Hao, and Zonderland are all awarded +1s concurrently. It wouldn’t be possible for Kameyama to have the pommel spot, but then have it taken away if China wants Weng Hao instead. Spots are never provisional in this system: they’re either awarded or declined and transferred to the next gymnast within that apparatus.

Ah ok thanks for the clarification. I do like that list of winners, I must say.

Reactions: MRR
Looks like they are not alternating men’s and lady’s events and pb bars is cool but watching the team prep the bars for five minutes between competitors is not. Ill check back in half an hour. Thanks for the stream link!

(I like how the medals are on little trays in front of the winners and they get to award themselves. )

Zsofia Kovacs looked really, really pissed off in the medal ceremony. I wonder if she thought she should’ve won?

Are the retaping the whole floor? Shouldn’t that have been done before the competition?

Pretty clean from Mori on the landings, but I don’t think she will get triple Y credit. Score taking forever.

So if Ferrari gets the spot but gets named to the Italian team, she gives up the spot to who is next in line which is Mori, right? Win-win for Italy.

Did Andrade withdraw?

Last edited:
Correct, afaik.

I read that Andrade was only doing bars and beam, didn’t realise she had qualified on floor in the first place.

Well, smart to save her energy for Tokyo, glad it wasn’t because of any other reason.

Not necessarily. Only if one of them, realistically Ferrari, is named to the team. If neither is then Vanessa goes as the individual.

Yes, she did all around at Europeans a few months ago, did not qualify as a +1 so she withdrew from the finals.

So if Ferrari gets the spot but gets named to the Italian team, she gives up the spot to who is next in line which is Mori, right? Win-win for Italy.
Nope. Italy can be awarded, at most, 1 spot via the apparatus WC. Which Vanessa secured. If Vanessa is named to the 4 person team, the +1 is completely lost; it would then go to the next highest non-Italian gymnast. These +1s are an all or nothing thing.

Are you sure? I thought if the first place finisher declined it would go to the second place. In this instance it happens to be another Italian.

Given that they’re not letting China (or Japan) decline an awarded MAG spot so it can then go to another athlete from their federation who qualified 1st on a different event but lost the intra-country tiebreaker, I’m assuming it would ve the same in this case.

If Italy was so certain they wanted Vanessa for the main team, and since Mori would have won the individual spot otherwise, why bother sending Vanessa to Doha?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back