2021 Doha WC

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Ok so I just watched the first five routines on floor.

Glaringly obvious was the overscoring of both Italians. I had 7.5 for Mori and 7.6 for Ferrari but they both got low 8s. Ferrari an 8.3 which I thought was ridiculous.

The other routines I was within 0.2 E for all of them.

I’m assuming that they’re not hitting Ferrari for these lunch breaks in the corner in stork position. I think she also gets a huge pass on her dance elements which are all short so I would take precision, but she’s very smart in exiting them with dance and so I imagine she’s tricking the judges into thinking they’re rotated.

What do the rest of you guys think?

I fear that the international judges are going to overlook Skinner on floor in the same way. The big names (and the Americans) often get passes like this that the intermediate “20-40” group don’t get.

Mori had a huge fuck up of her Memmel turn

Last edited:
Also. The beam judging. SO HARSH.

I was like 4- 6 tenths too lenient on every routine.

Need to adjust my “pen” for tokyo if they’re gonna do this.

Flavia’s routine I had a 7.0 (with a fall) and they went 6.4!

Last edited:
Flavia’s routine I had a 7.0 (with a fall) and they went 6.4!
Here is my evaluation. If I had to guess where the additional deductions were coming from, I would say that the E panel was particularly picky on adjustments for extra / ‘empty’ steps and movements without ‘true’ choreography before a number of her skills (the small kick / leg lift she does before her round offs, side somi, etc.).

Acro

2 x E (layout to two feet, double pike dismount)
3 x D (back handspring stepout mount, aerial, side somi)

Total Acro DV - 2.2

Dance

1 x E (switch ring leap)
2 x D (split ring jump, split ring leap)

Total Dance DV - 1.3

CV / Series Bonus

roundoff + layout to two feet (B + E acro) - 0.1 CV

back handspring stepout + layout stepout + layout stepout (B + C + C / 0) = 0.1 CV + 0.1 SB

aerial + split jump + Korbut (D + B + B) - 0.1 CV + 0.1 SB

Total CV / SB = 0.5

CR

Dance Series - split leap + sissone
Turn - full turn
Acro Series with Salto - round off + layout to two feet
Acro Elements in Different Directions - layout stepout, aerial

Total D - 3.5 + 0.5 + 2.0 = 6.0

Downgrades

round off + layout to two feet
  • No bonus awarded due to the fall on the layout to two feet
aerial + split jump + Korbut
  • No bonus due to slow tempo / slight balance adjustment on the aerial
Total D - 3.5 + 0.2 + 2.0 = 5.7

Alternatively:

layout to two feet
  • Downgraded to back pike (difficult to tell from angle of video)
round off + layout to two feet
  • No bonus awarded due to downgrade of layout to back pike, as well as the fall
Total D - 3.3 + 0.4 + 2.0 = 5.7

Deductions

back handspring stepout mount
  • (adjustment / slide of foot back) 0.1
layout to two feet + (value awarded, continue to deduct execution errors not related to landing error)
  • (leg separation) 0.1 +
  • (insufficient height) 0.1 +
  • (fall) 1.0
split leap + sissone
  • (poor rhythm of connection) 0.1
switch ring leap
  • (small balance adjustment) 0.1
aerial + split jump + Korbut
  • (poor rhythm of connection) 0.1 x 2 ^ (Note E panel could theoretically deduct for tempo even if D panel did not credit the series)
side somi
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
  • (large balance error) 0.5
double pike
  • (leg separation) 0.1
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
  • (insufficient height) 0.1
  • (body posture / head at hip level) 0.1
  • (step on landing) 0.1
Total - 2.8

Artistry
  • (Insufficient complexity or creativity in the movements) 0.1
  • (Insufficient variation in rhythm and tempo) 0.1
Total E - 7.0 / (-3.0)

At least we agreed!

It will be interesting to see the judging pen in Tokyo. This Doha pen was way harsher than the pen I used for Nationals and Trials.

Going by a Doha pen, Skinner should be getting slaughtered.

Going by a Doha pen, Skinner should be getting slaughtered.
It is going to be interesting to watch how she handles the slaughter. If she does anything other than compete in qualifications, I will eat my hat. If she wins an individual medal, I will be very, very upset.

Is harsh beam judging a good thing or a bad thing for China? I can see both arguments. On the one hand, sloppier execution by other countries should create a wider score gap to their benefit. On the other hand, if they are harsher on beam than VT/UB/FX they will not enjoy the overall buffer they’re hoping for on that event.

I feel consistency is the main issue. It doesn’t have to be incredibly petty, as long as it’s the “same pen” for everybody

People also say that CONSTANTLY over on Reddit based on the fact that fully seven years ago her one-handed Cheng scored better at Worlds than it had domestically. (They ignore, of course, that the WTC later made a literal new deduction to threaten her cheated entry.)

Maybe Skinner herself is thinking about Gymnix? She got a higher FX score there, I think, than she’s achieved this year and she hasn’t been judged internationally any other time this quad afaik. Of course, why one would think of Gymnix as a barometer for World/Olympic scoring is beyond me.

Although she can actually say that the WAG code was influenced by her - the international judges debate about her Cheng following her appearance at the Am cup led to 1 armed vaults getting a 2 point penalty.

Although I do think she that she should get credit for managing to change the Cheng entry even if some have a bent arm.

I just hope that, whatever pen they use, they ACTUALLY USE IT for Skinner abd don’t become Skinner-blind like the USAG panel did.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back