2021 American Classic (Suni Lee, Grace McCallum, Kara Eaker, + more competing)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

That’s a huge routine from Suni and she’s clearly gassed at the end. Better work on that endurance so she doesn’t get killed on that dismount.
Not that I would EVER want a Olympic medalist in 2021 to dismount with a double back but I would think she loses more than the .1 gain in the full-in just in deductions

I think it’s 0.2 difference but you’re right - chest on landing can kill any difference.

Is anyone secretly livestreaming or youtubing? Or do we need to wait for Flo videos?

For Kara I have:

Switch - Switch Side 0.1
Y Turn - 0.5 Turn
Front Aerial - Ring Jump* (see below - I’m confused) 0.1
Aeriel Cartwheel LOSO LOSO 0.4
Sissone - Split Leap - Side Somi 0.1
Switch Switch 1/2 0.1
Korbut
Switch Leap repeat (back foot not at shoulder height)
RO BHS 2.5* (not performed) 0.1

Acro: DDCDD = 1.9
Dance: DCCB*CDX = 1.1
CV = 0.9
CR = 2.0

Total = 5.9

*OK - Section 9 Page 3 of the Code. The requirement for a Split Jump to Ring is “Front Leg at Horizontal and back foot to crown of head”. The requirement for a Ring Jump is simply “Back foot to crown of Head”.

For Split Jump to Ring, there is no mention of what to do when the front leg is below horizontal. It tells you what to do when all other requirements are not met (e.g. back foot below shoulder, credit split jump). I think it should say “front leg below horizontal, credit ring jump”, but it doesn’t. To confuse matters even more, in the execution deductions, there is guidance for what to do when the front leg is below horizontal - apply 0.1 deduction or 0.3 if the front leg is below 45 degrees.

The two sets of instructions do not talk to each other. Personally, Kara does a textbook Ring Jump here - so I would credit it accordingly, even though she’s clearly attempting a split jump to ring, she’s very almost there, and the Code could be interpreted to not downgrade it (as there is no explicit instruction to downgrade it to ring jump) and simply apply a tenth in E Panel.

What do you guys think?

ETA: On a side point, this routine is a MESS of a routine construction. She’s attempting TWELVE C+ level difficulties. 12!!! 50% of her top difficulties are simply for a few tenths of bonus.

If Fong really wants to try and get a big D Score, he should have gone this route:

Switch - Switch Half - Korbut 0.4
Aerial Cartwheel LOSO LOSO 0.4
Front Aerial - Split Ring Jump - BHS 0.4
Split Leap - Side Somi - Straddle 1/2 - Jump 1/1 0.6 (I know she hasn’t done these elements before, but I think she could have learnt it)
Sissone - Full Turn
RO BHS 2.5 0.1

Acro: DDDD = 1.6
Dance: DDDD = 1.6
CV: 1.9
CR 2.0

Total = 7.1

Last edited:
The distinguishing factor between a ring jump and a split ring jump is the position of the front leg:
  • Front Leg below 45 degrees → Credit as Ring Jump (It’s a little odd because technically a ring jump needs to show a split as well, but I believe the WTC is applying the logic under 9.2.3 of when you downgrade an element for having insufficient split.)
  • Front Leg slightly below horizontal → Credit as Split Ring Jump, 0.1 deduction for body shape
  • Front Leg near 45 degrees below → Credit as Split Ring Jump, 0.3 deduction for body shape
Eaker’s ring jump has historically fallen under the second evaluation.

Last edited:

Gymternet also has a live blog. No stream that I know of.

Last edited:
Suni just did a floor exercise with a double layout first line and timers for the second and fourth lines. Limped off with a heavily wrapped ankle.

We got Eaker’s beam. Better than training, but those rings still ain’t it. She also only did a double full dismount after her regular tea break to set up for it.

My quickhits for Eaker beam:

Y-turn to full turn, small wobble
front aerial, no connection out
ring jump, small wobble
free cartwheel-laystep-laystep, lean with shoulder but otherwise okay
Sissone-split leap-side somi, decent
switch leap-switch 1/2-Korbut, actually good
switch ring, looked a little rough but not her worst? wasn’t a good angle
(little bit of a pause before dismount)
RO + FF + double full, slightly underrotated and shuffle forward (lol)

Last edited:
Wong FX:
Silivas? mount (my screen froze when she set it), a little low/shuffle-y on landing
Whip-triple, bit of a struggle to get around, kinda anemic
l-hop to switch ring, switch ring looked rough but this resolution is also not flattering
pause in corner before next pass
2.5-front full, some leg separations and a bit of a struggle to rotate the front full
double pike dismount, overcooks it with weak, separated knees and sits down OOB. Weird/bad set to that salto it looked like, too

not a very expressive or thrilling routine

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back