2021 American Classic (Suni Lee, Grace McCallum, Kara Eaker, + more competing)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I get 179.232 for Biles, Lee, McCallum and McCusker. Replace McCusker with Hurd and it drops to 178.282.

What a nifty and fun progam, regardless of the dubious accuracy given the scores that are being used.

Sunisa Lee - Balance Beam

Acro:

2 x D (aerial, side aerial)
1 X A (layout dismount)

Total Acro DV - 0.9

Dance:

2 x E (Mitchell, switch ring leap)
3 x D (double turn in tuck stand, switch leap 1/2, ring jump)

Total Dance DV - 2.2

CV / Series Bonus

aerial + split jump + back handspring stepout (D + B + B) = 0.1 CV + 0.1 SB

switch leap + switch leap 1/2 + ring jump (C + D + D) = 0.3 CV, 0.1 SB

side aerial + layout stepout + layout stepout (D + C + C / 0) = 0.3 CV + 0.1 SB

Total CV / SB = 1.0

CR

Dance Series - switch leap + switch leap 1/2 + ring jump
Turn - Mitchell
Acro Series with Salto - side aerial + layout stepout + layout stepout
Acro Elements in Different Directions - aerial, back handspring stepout

Total D - 3.1 + 1.0 + 2.0 = 6.1

Deductions

Mitchell
  • (adjustment - additional/unnecessary movement to prepare for the turn) 0.1^
  • (lack of precision / tempo of last rotation slows and looks a little off axis) 0.1
switch ring leap + split leap
  • (poor rhythm of connection) 0.1
split leap
  • (insufficient split - between 0 and 20 degrees) 0.1
switch leap 1/2
  • (insufficient height) 0.1
  • (body shape - bent knee on swing leg, and insufficient split - between 0 and 20 degrees) 0.3
switch leap 1/2 + ring jump
  • (poor rhythm of connection) 0.1^
ring jump
  • (body posture - forward leg below horizontal) 0.1
side aerial
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
layout dismount
  • (insufficient height) 0.1^
  • (failure to maintain stretched position) 0.1
  • (hop on landing) 0.1
Total - 1.4

^ Denotes borderline, valid position for a judge to not deduct

Artistry
  • Insufficient variation in rhythm and tempo) 0.1
  • Insufficient complexity or creativity in the movements) 0.1
Total E - 8.4 / -1.6

Other Notes
  • Lee should focus on doing a clean switch ring leap and not try to connect anything out of it, particularly the ring leap she attempted at the Winter Cup.
  • Given that a layout dismount could easily earn at least 0.1 in deductions, I would have her opt for the double twist, which would gain her a starting D of 0.3 higher (0.2 in DV and 0.1 in series bonus), while being unlikely to incur more than 0.3 in deductions to completely offset the gain in D score.

I see we both got her an 8.4 E.

But you gave her 0.3 in deductions for the layout dismount. Surely it would be easier and smarter for her to work on removing those 3 tenths of deductions, instead of your plan, which is to up her D Score by 0.3, and probably keep the same 3 tenths in deductions?

If ur deducting her for height and body shape in a layout, she’s probably going to have the same deductions in a double twist - plus crossed legs - plus a bigger step - plus the injury risk.

I see your point but - why? Surely make the layout higher, straighter, and stuck - would be more sensible?

The only valid counter I see is that the judges would have a poor impression of a layout. And thus be more likely to go harder on it for the deductions. Which is valid. But it shouldn’t be.

Last edited:
I actually wonder whether Kara did intend the Tucked Y1.5. She looked mad as fuck at the end.

Karis German doing two H passes on floor was a surprise. Dismounted with a Full In. Great tumbling but the dance and the Zero artistry will kill her score. I’m saying all 6 artistry deductions, right? There was nothing.

Wong’s DTY looked pretty anaemic.

Kara now has an orphan half before her UB dismount. And that clear hip full is reaaaally late.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRR
I apologize for this. The entire time it was my graphics tablet that was causing my wifi problems. I know this is way after the fact, but I would’ve absolutely refunded you. I’m so sorry.

@Adex you misunderstood my poorly worded comment. The quality of your stream was great, I have no issue with that at all. The issue was with the actual content that was sold to you by FLO.

I hope you were not upset by my comment. Your streams have been worth their weight in gold, and when I remember I do send my prime money your way.

Oh man… I didn’t realize this was a zombie thread and got extremely excited to see so many of the Olympic athletes and alternates continuing in elite.

I was also wondering how they were going to manage competing so close to NCAA championships and finals 🤭

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back