Worlds 2021 US Selection Camp (October 8-11)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I predict DiCello wins AA, becoming the most boring world AA champ since Sloan. Putting this into the universe, hoping it doesn’t become reality.

Where was Faith Torrez this year?

Here’s who went to Trials and isn’t doing the tour or presumably college in the fall:
Kayla DiCello
Addison Fatta
Zoe Miller
Amari Drayton
Ava Siegfeldt

Other gymnasts who could potentially go to worlds but I don’t know their status as far as injury, retirement, etc:
Skye Blakely (unlikely, but who knows how quickly she’ll heal)
Sydney Barros
Karis German
eMjae Frazier
Kaylen Morgan
Ciena Alipio
Faith Torrez
Lilly Lippeatt
Olivia Greaves (unsure of injury status)
Konnor McClain

Where was Faith Torrez this year?
She says on social media she’s had a very rough go, physically. Her 2021 has pretty much been symptomatic COVID, ankle surgery, crunching the ankle at Winter Cup warmups, and a low American Classic score that never led to anything else.

She could be a factor, but she’s also at Legacy Elite, so the lower body injuries were only a matter of time and this could be the beginning of the end, sadly.

Chellsie confirmed her tour participation, so while she was always a longshot for Worlds, that’s another option gone.

Last edited:
Faith Torrez is headed to Oklahoma.
Not sure if she is there already but based on her rough 2021 I would be very surprised if she makes any attempt at Worlds.

If everyone is healthy and hitting the only logical team is McClain, Blakely, and DiCello. No 4th member.

However, keep your eye on Addison Fatta, she reminds me of Nichols/Raisman and has clean execution. As she adds some difficulty in she would be someone for future assignments. Her DTY would be competitive internationally.

What about Greaves? I thought the Landi’s were hoping she would be ready by Worlds.

And when you say “no 4th member” do you mean no point in taking a fourth member or only three are allowed this year? (I really lost track of things in the months between wwgym and gymnaverse.)

I believe this year each federation is only allowed to put up 3 gymnasts, total, on each apparatus with a maximum team size of 4. So, if there are three AAers then there’s no room for a fourth member to compete anything.

What about Greaves? I thought the Landi’s were hoping she would be ready by Worlds.

And when you say “no 4th member” do you mean no point in taking a fourth member or only three are allowed this year? (I really lost track of things in the months between wwgym and gymnaverse.)
Greaves is a wild card but I don’t see her being relevant.

Worlds can be 4 members but only 3 slots per event so if there are 3 all arounders there would be no 3rd member. It would be the same as 2013 when the US didn’t use the 4th team member.

Ah, yes. Brenna Dowell was the 4th that year I think.
Correct.
Biles and Ross were the all arounders.
Maroney was there for beam, vault, floor
Dowell was there for bars

Still don’t know why Marta had Maroney do AA, but probably because Dowell was inconsistent.

I remember very little of 2013 worlds, I remember feeling very underwhelmed even compared with previous post Olympic years. Other than Simone winning AA, I’m not sure I could name the other champions

Rumor was Steve Penny wanted Maroney to do all around because she was pro, famous, and highly marketable. Simone was still an unknown amateur, and Kyla was the least known of the Fierce Five and had also stayed amateur, so he couldn’t make as much money off them

Was that when she went up first and then spent the rest of the final writing in her notebook to put an inquiry in, then she’d won anyway?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back