Worlds 2021 US Selection Camp (October 8-11)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’d agree that Gerasimova is probably Russia’s top beam worker. She’s also the 2019 Junior World Champion there. Depending on who is else is available, I’d see Russia sending her to Worlds this year she might factor in moving forward and she’ll need the experience.

Are the women allowed 4 athletes and all of them can do all events this year?

379 GERASIMOVA Elena ROC
:vt: 4.600 13.466 (54)
Oh man, even Simone’s blown vault scored higher than that… She won Jr Worlds? Has she been injured? Cuz those are some sad scores on VT and FX.

Bb qual was really tough. Gerasimova did actually an ok routine and i personally thought she should have scored a bit higher and maybe qualify. The line between hypothetically taking q medal or not even qualifying is thinnest on bb i feel. I mean there is no way nina or suni weren’t qualifying to ub without a large mistake. Yet a number of bb workers didn’t qualify, without glaring errors.

Given that it was only decided at the last minute who would be on the team out of her and Akhaimova, she must be well thought of. She’s not bad on bars either, in america they’d be TF worthy

Some LSU commitment speculation happening with this post, but Konnor McClain also said on IGL she’s doing Amanars, so she must be feeling some kind of okay, physically.

IMG_2572.PNG

Last edited:
Leanne isn’t 18 until September, according to Google. Has she got another year of HS or has she graduated already and is starting NCAA this year?

Leanne either started school early or skipped a grade because she apparently graduated this past spring. Wouldn’t be the first gymnast to have done so. Some get their HS credits done early like Maile O’Keefe, too. Alabama’s Kassi Price should have been in my class being born in August 1989, but she graduated both high school and college a year before I did. Olivia Dunne is another early graduater.

Last edited:
I actually think Gerasimova makes more sense than Ilyankova, if it’s either/or and the top 3 are all ok and hitting by then. Obviously Ilyankova is the one who medalled in Tokyo, deservedly so, but she’s not contributing anything the other three can’t. They’re all in the 14.8-15 bracket for a hit routine and it’s just a question of who happens to come out on top that day. Whereas Gerasimova potentially is the strongest on beam, and Russia clearly still have both a consistency problem and a HBIC weakness there. It would make sense to try and invest in her.

I didn’t realize Leanne had already graduated high school. I’m torn between wanting her to continue elite since she’s so talented and just go off to NCAA since she’s still coached by the Fongs.

Suni hasn’t ruled out going for another worlds and Paris. I wonder if we’ll see Leanne do the same. She would easily make next year’s team, especially if she represents UF like Trinity and stays the hell away from Gage. I can’t accept that a gymnast as lovely as her has never competed at a world championships.

On that note, does anyone have a clue when Shilese plans to matriculate? 2022-23? The US is going to need a strong VT/FX worker in the absence of Biles/Carey/Skinner, and her post-trials insta post seemed to suggest she wants to continue with elite.

Is Shilese actually going to Florida? As far as I know, she has not signed a NLI. I think she actually graduated in 2020.

She still has “Future UF gator” in her ig bio, plus she replied “can’t wait” to McCusker’s comment that she was looking forward to being teammates at Florida.

I remember being surprised when she didn’t sign an NLI last year. Will UF have any scholarships open for her in the class of 22’ or 23’?

On that note, does anyone have a clue when Shilese plans to matriculate? 2022-23?
I’d say Jones heads to Florida for 2022-2023. Her social media has never said anything otherwise, and it looks like all the floating from her and Hurd is to fix overcommitment.

Doing the math, Florida can have it all, so to speak, if one of Jones, Hurd, or McCusker waits another year. Otherwise, they’re doing some weird retiring just to get everybody in this season. SJS only buys them a season, and Gallentine technically only flopped twice her freshman year. Retiring her would be a bit brutal unless she’s really beat up, and they shouldn’t get rid of UB workers considering Hurd’s elbow and how feverish things got on the event for them last season.

Last edited:
I don’t know what Florida’s scholarship count looks like. By my count, they have 17 on the roster for the 2022 competition season. For 2023, I tentatively see 12. Both these counts exclude Jones.

2022:
Alyssa Bauman (grad)
Sloane Blakley (fresh)
Leah Clapper (grad)
Chloi Clark (soph)
Gabby Gallentine (soph)
Morgan Hurd (fresh)
Sydney Johnson-Scharpf (senior)
Ellie Lazzari (soph)
Alex Magee (soph)
Riley McCusker (fresh)
Nya Reed (senior)
Payton Richards (junior)
Savannah Schoenherr (grad)
Megan Skaggs (grad)
Halley Taylor (senior)
Trinity Thomas (senior)
Leanne Wong (fresh)

2023:
Sloane Blakley (soph)
Sohpia Butler (fresh)
Chloi Clark (junior)
Kayla DiCello (fresh)
Gabby Gallentine (junior)
Morgan Hurd (soph)
Ellie Lazzari (junior)
Alex Magee (junior)
Riley McCusker (soph)
Payton Richards (senior)
JaFree Scott (fresh)
Leanne Wong (soph)

2023:
Sloane Blakley (soph)
Sohpia Butler (fresh)
Chloi Clark (junior)
Kayla DiCello (fresh)
Gabby Gallentine (junior)
Morgan Hurd (soph)
Ellie Lazzari (junior)
Alex Magee (junior)
Riley McCusker (soph)
Payton Richards (senior)
JaFree Scott (fresh)
Leanne Wong (soph)
Magee, Clark, and Taylor are walk-ons, judging by their club scores. Florida has room for Jones in 2022-2023 that they do not have in 2021-2022, barring some surprise. Florida and Utah in particular have had to juggle overcommitment lately, unless Skinner knew the minute she left that she wasn’t coming back (very possible, but that’s another discussion).

This is a good resource to bookmark even if people aren’t into NCAA, as it is updated religiously and gives insight into elites’ plans and schedules at any given NCAA program, plus any announced commitments: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...AfdJDaMkpKSiQFwGMSh9kDXMdlHrmIM#gid=970040545

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back