Worlds 2021 US Selection Camp (October 8-11)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

My understanding was that they can do the tour and not accept payment for the ‘performance’ part, but get money for autographs, a cut of merchandise sales, etc. And of course, the tour organization can decide how much to pay for those things for the NCAA vs pro women. I’m sure it’s two different contract templates

My understanding was that they can do the tour and not accept payment for the ‘performance’ part, but get money for autographs, a cut of merchandise sales, etc. And of course, the tour organization can decide how much to pay for those things for the NCAA vs pro women. I’m sure it’s two different contract templates
That is correct.
However, they cannot accept payment for performing.
They can do separate contracts as they have done them before. IIRC for the 2004 tour Hatch, Bhardwaj, and Patterson did them all. McCool, Humphrey, and Kupets did some of the stops and did not accept money for performing, so they were able to maintain NCAA eligibilty.

For example, Chiles could do the tour, perform but not accept payment, but have her clothing line booth there and make money from the clothing line sales.

Do gymnasts charge for photographs though? I have never seen this happen, but then again I was never one that sought out autographs.

The tour has a VIP package that involves some level of meet-n-greet, I believe. So the gymnast isn’t charging, the tour is and paying the gymnast

The tour has a VIP package that involves some level of meet-n-greet, I believe. So the gymnast isn’t charging, the tour is and paying the gymnast
Unless they are attending certain locations and not receiving compensation. Just like Kupets, McCool, Humphrey did in 2004.

With the Delta variant and Covid cases on the rise again we might even see some stops get cancelled, especially as we see the later fall months hit.

This USA Today article says that the NCAA is allowing gymnasts to be paid for tours.

I think that’s appropriate. No one is being paid by someone who would then influence their choice of school, and doing a tour is closer to performing in a circus than it is to doing competitive gymnastics.

Well that’s annoying. It wasn’t a few minutes ago, but I can’t see it either.

In any case, there was a sentence saying that the NCAA confirmed to USA Today that gymnasts could participate in tours and referenced that the tour paycheck could be up to $100k. The context of the sentence was that the tour was a significant potential earnings source for college-bound gymnasts.

Well that’s annoying. It wasn’t a few minutes ago, but I can’t see it either.

In any case, there was a sentence saying that the NCAA confirmed to USA Today that gymnasts could participate in tours and referenced that the tour paycheck could be up to $100k. The context of the sentence was that the tour was a significant potential earnings source for college-bound gymnasts.
There was also an original article from July 8, apparently, saying the same thing, with a statement specifically from NCAA to USA Today. Google Preview coming through; I totally missed this:

google preview usatoday

Last edited:
Front runners have to be Kayla DiCello and Konnor McClain. Perhaps Skye Blakely if she is healed enough from injury.
Amary Drayton, Addison Fatta, Ava Siegfeldt might sneak in but really lack a strong routine that could make event finals. If Fatta had a second vault it would increase her chances on floor.
Zoe Miller might sneak in for bars. If Sydney Barros can improved since moving to WCC she could factor in.

Would be hilarious if the 2021 World Team was DiCello, Barros, Blakely, McClain !!!

DiCello (AA) is a lock IMO
Blakely (AA) is also a lock if healthy
McClain (BB/FX)
Miller (UB)
would be my best guess for now, unless NCAA bound girlies decide to wait to go to campus until January and try for one last Worlds.

Looks like Hurd, Skinner, Biles, Chiles are a definite no based on The Gold Tour.

I saw something earlier this week about McClain’s mother saying that they had surgery scheduled, and it was after Konnor switched to WOGA? Trying to find confirmation, but if this is true, I’d doubt Worlds is in the cards unless the surgery was minor and well behind her by now.

Skye Blakely confirmed 2 days ago she needed elbow surgery after Trials:

Last edited:
Why not Wong, Eaker or Malabuyo? Are they all done with elite?

You’d think the 4 Olympic alternates would be the front runners?

Valentina confirmed that Listunova, Urazova, and Melnikova are expected back in the gym next week presumably in preparation for worlds, and Japan is essentially sending its Olympic team to worlds. It will be very interesting to see how the US girls stack up in comparison, but I can’t really see anyone other than DiCello, Blakely, and McClain even contending for anything.

Last edited:
Russia will likely send those 3 plus Ilyankova although I would not rule out a significant step forward from Gerasimova who has not taken a break

Sorry. Typo. I meant Olympics.

ETA I was being lazy:

379 GERASIMOVA Elena ROC
:vt: 4.600 13.466 (54)
:ub: 5.800 13.233 (40)
🇧🇧 5.700 13.766 (16)
:fx: 5.300 12.333 (60)

Surely she’s done?

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events